2009 1.8L valve clatter

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
beemerphile1

2009 1.8L valve clatter

Post by beemerphile1 »

This started after my last oil change about two months ago. It may have been happening before the oil change but I didn't notice. On every start of the cold engine it has a bad valve clatter for maybe two seconds and then all sounds normal.

This issue suddenly appeared. I don't see how an oil change could cause this.

Crankcase is full with 5w20 oil and after a couple weeks of clatter I added a dose of Seafoam to the oil. Now several weeks and thousands of miles the clatter is still there.

The sound is similar to old technology engines that after lots of wear would have hydraulic lifters collapse.

The 1.8L engine is only at a little over 60,000 miles.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
gtv237

Re: 2009 1.8L valve clatter

Post by gtv237 »

It's the variable valve timing controller on the intake side. If it stops in a certain position it can leak all the oil out of it and it just makes noise until oil reaches it again. No damage is being done it's just an annoying noise. It's a pretty pricey repair as well. Over $1000 at the dealer and around $400 if you do it yourself.