2003 keyfob/locks not engaging?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jayme2003

2003 keyfob/locks not engaging?

Post by jayme2003 »

I just bought a 2003 Vibe over the weekend, has a few cosmetic issues but figured for the money its great! AWD so great for me in Idaho. It came with a key fob that was not working. Thought maybe it just needed a battery. Replaced the battery still didnt work so I got another one (used). Still could not get it to work after using the "programming" I found on the forum here! While I was trying to program it my mom who also has a vibe noticed that when I would shift into gear the door locks do not engage and perhaps that had something to do with the issue of the key fob not working. Read that the car would return to mode 4 if battery was disconnected. So tried that door still do not lock automatically when shifted into gear. So when I press the lock button on the drivers side door, it does lock, when I try to program the key fob, door open, key in the ignition twice, open and close door twice, exct it does lock then unlock the door. But still can not get either key fob to work! Willing to try any suggestion so please let me know!
ColonelPanic

Re: 2003 keyfob/locks not engaging?

Post by ColonelPanic »

Welcome, and congrats on the Vibe!

I suspect your mom's Vibe is a 2005 or newer -- they added the automatic locking feature when you shift out of park around that time. The 2003 didn't have that feature. So as long as your doors lock/unlock with the door switches then that part of it is working normally.

It kinda sounded like perhaps the remotes aren't transmitting at first. They make testers for this and I'm pretty sure I have seen them on the counter at a parts store somewhere, maybe AutoZone. But if you went through the programming procedure and at the end where it locks/unlocks then I'm stumped.

You can double-check the programming process here, maybe it's worth a shot to try it again.

Hope you can get it figured out!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
trb

Post by trb »

Are you sure the key fobs are the correct FCC ID?
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
jayme2003

Post by jayme2003 »

The one fob came with the car, didnt work at the dealers but I figured just needed a new battery. Replaced the battery still didnt work so I tried to reprogram it. I got the car to lock and unlock signifying it was ready for the remote part, held the lock and unlock button then released and tried the lock to no avail. So figured maybe the fob was bad. Went to the junk yard and they had a fob for an 2004 that we were getting parts off for mine, broken tail light, door check, and the compartment under the gear shift, door was missing. Never thought of the testers they have at the parts places I will have to try one with both fobs!!! Didnt know the 2003 didnt have the auto lock door my moms is an 2006 and we were comparing hers to mine to see what was missing and things she likes better than mine. Her car has the moon roof mine dosent, but I have the cigerett charger in the center console. and the center console are exactly the same except mine has the two chambers!! and the charger, hers just has a hole with a rubber plug!!!! and mine has 50,000 more miles and is gray AWD hers is maroon frount wheel drive. I have the vibe wheels her's are hub caps. Mine has the rug in back that says vibe and the cargo cover! kind of cool to compare the two cars side by side!!!!! Would be A LOT COOLER for me if my key fob worked will try taking it in like I said next time I go to town!!!! Thanks for the suggestion will let you all know!
trb

Post by trb »

You can add the console power point to hers, as I believe the wiring is under the console, along with the double compartment console lid if you can find one from an 03-04 Vibe. Do a search on here and there are some posts about adding the power port on the 05-08 models.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

For what its worth, the FCC ID you need is GQ43VT141 It should be on the back of the fob

I don't know how to tell the car to forget a key fob, or else I'd suggest trying to program your car to listen to your Mom's fob, or programming her car to listen to your fob. But if you can't get it to forget a fob, then it could be a hassle having one fob work both cars, if you live with her.

I'd say don't do the double lid and inside 12V outlet upgrades on your mom's car, just so your has something better than hers. ;)
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Get two new FOB's here for cheap $24.17 for the pair! Then follow the instructions to program them....done!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Replaceme ... f7&vxp=mtr
chynaboi90

Post by chynaboi90 »

I'm having exactly the same problem in my 03 vibe the only difference is my vibe cycles through the locks after pressing and holding the two lock and unlock button then releasing and holding just a lock button it cycles through the locks again as if it accepts the fob however once exiting the vehicle it will not lock or unlock using the remote I hope you was able to get your situation figured out if you did please let me know what you did so I can try that one on mine
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

chynaboi90 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:27 am I'm having exactly the same problem in my 03 vibe the only difference is my vibe cycles through the locks after pressing and holding the two lock and unlock button then releasing and holding just a lock button it cycles through the locks again as if it accepts the fob however once exiting the vehicle it will not lock or unlock using the remote I hope you was able to get your situation figured out if you did please let me know what you did so I can try that one on mine
Programming a new fob can be a little finicky. If the locks are not cycling themselves at the end, then you did not finish the programming properly.

1. Driver door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition
2. Insert the key and remove 2 times in 5 seconds
3. Close and open drivers door 2 times in 40 sec.
4. Insert the key and remove it from ignition again
5. Close and open drivers door 2 times in 40 sec.
6. Insert the key in ignition
7. Close the door
8. Turn to ON can back to LOCK in 1 second intervals. 1 time for ADD, 2 times for REWRITE
9. Remove the key
10. Power locks will cycle to confirm
11. For ADD or REWRITE mode within 40 sec. Of the confirmation,
A Press lock and unlock buttons of the fob at the same time between 1 and 1.5 seconds
B within 3 sec press lock button for more then 1 sec and release
C If it’s correct the power locks will cycle again. If it is not please try the procedure again

And here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXy2bO_Oy8
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe