growly engine and vibration at idle?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
canadave

growly engine and vibration at idle?

Post by canadave »

I've noticed over the past couple of months that my 04 Vibe seems to be sounding a bit more "growly" when driven (hope you can understand that adjective, it's hard to describe in words). It also noticeably vibrates when stopped and idling, whether in Park or in Drive. Not shaking the car apart, but enough to be noticeable and slightly annoying. Idle RPM's seem ok, they tend to be around 800 RPM and stable once the engine's warmed up.

I did have the intake manifold gasket replaced a year or so ago, and I cleaned the MAF sensor a couple of months ago. Actually, now that I think about it, the growly engine seems to have started around the time the MAF sensor was cleaned, although the idle vibration may have been happening before that.

What are some of the things that could possibly be causing these two issues?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
circuitsmith

Re: growly engine and vibration at idle?

Post by circuitsmith »

Check for cracked motor mounts & exhaust leak.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
canadave

Post by canadave »

I'll check the motor mounts, but the exhaust leak theory sounds more likely. Pardon my ignorance, but how would one go about checking for an exhaust leak? or do I need to take it to a mechanic to do that?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

canadave wrote:I'll check the motor mounts, but the exhaust leak theory sounds more likely. Pardon my ignorance, but how would one go about checking for an exhaust leak? or do I need to take it to a mechanic to do that?
You can cover the tailpipe with your hand or a rag. Try to block air flow as much as possible. If there isn't a leak it will blow your hand off. If there is a leak you will hear a loud hissing. Have somebody listen up by the engine.

You can also brake-torque it and see if it gets any worse.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Before I replaced the water pump on a 2008 vibe, it made a very distinct growly-vibration-buzzy noise at idle.
Carefully listen around the pump area and see if you can pinpoint it.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)