East Coast

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
808 Vibes

East Coast

Post by 808 Vibes »

I would like info from people who live on the East Coast. Particularly those states with things like recycling programs.
Temperatures (high/low, snow? rain, storms?) education system, crime, jobs, dating pool (normal, educated, etc.) :D I want to hear it all.
Thank you in advance
Last edited by 808 Vibes on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
kumquat

Re: East Coast

Post by kumquat »

wut
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Sounds like somebody is thinking about moving ???
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Moving off the island? If your heading out east be sure you go far enough north so you can enjoy winter! :D
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

I've been thinking about it. After this hell is over, I think I need a happily ever after far, far away...that's cold, so yes, SD...North.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

as always, we hope for you all the best possible. Also hope you will include information from sources other than genvibe in your decisions ;)

Can't say that I recommend MD, because any place has its pros and cons, up to you to decide if and where. Still, no matter where you might pick, it will be a big gamble, a grand adventure, a challenge. Take your time, research thoroughly, and good luck
Last edited by joatmon on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

Up here in NEPA, North East Pennsylvania, we have winter and construction seasons. I always lived in either the country or rural areas which provide good hunting times. Every area has it's pros and cons, I've been wanting to move down to maryland for years now. Seems nicer to me, but maybe i'm just too used to being up here. If you care about sales taxes, it's 6% and no tax on things you need, i.e. clothing, toilet paper, food, etc. Around me, there's a lot of people that work in NewYork and live here cause it pays more in NY and cheaper to live here.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

As many have implied, we're going to need a bit more information from you to make any positive contribution to your search. For instance, tell us what is important to you: cost of living (aka, what you can afford (ie: Boston versus Albany cost of living?); close to water or close to mountains; in the water or just on the water access; cold versus hot (you seemed to imply cold); urban versus rural; cultural activities or unibomber shack isolation?

Just some perspective on my background before I throw out some pitches so you know where I'm coming from: I have travelled all over the world to include the USA. My preference, having lived near two major urban areas is to have a city nearby for cultural activities. I also want to be warm forever, so I am likely heading to the Tampa/St. Pete area which will give me the best of both worlds. If you now live in Hawaii, I have been there and would never go back. The place is way too expensive for what you get (Costa Rica is better) and living on an island would drive me crazy in no time.

If it is "cold" you want AND on the east coast, you'll have to be heading to NY State-Connecticut and north. Everything from NJ on south along the coast suffers from the same humidity levels as Florida and they don't get the benefit of the Gulf of Mexico's constant breeze. If New England, then you will lose the gulf stream and have no pleasurable ocean water temperatures to swim in. While New England has higher education rates, lower crime, and excellent cultural access, taxes are high, and the winters are VERY cold.

If you are looking for the perfect climate, we don't have it here in the US. San Diego is the closest we get, although you can't go in the ocean because Alaska sends all their cold water down the coast. If you want the perfect climate: Guatemala: land of eternal spring.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Thank you, everybody! Yes, I've been looking into sales taxes, which states are exempt for food, that sort of thing. It must be a common law property state. I'm not concerned at all about real estate prices. I've looked into it and I could actually buy two there with what I paid for this one that was just over 1000sf. I want to avoid humidity and heat (maybe because I'm older, I'm suffering in it) and the vog, which affects me really bad. I don't want to be near water. Since I hate town and it's concrete jungle with an undying passion, it would have to be a rural, farm type, no tall buildings, just a simple place where I can grow food and have a lot of pets.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Given that list, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont it is; although I don't know what 'Common Law Property State' means. If one of those three states meet that criteria, then grab your pipe, cushy slippers, and your rocking chair and enjoy the wonderful views.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

I was actually looking a little bit into Maine, it is a common law property state, sales tax @ 5.5% is slightly higher than our 4.716%, but the prices of everything will be a lot less and they have exemption on food.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

my brother's been in boston for the last 20 years. loves it. its a stone's through from kennebunkport (not really, but not a big drive, as i recall)., if you get tired of one skyline, you can jump across the charles river and look at that one. and you've got the bruins

hope everything works out
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Thank you, everybody for the info, but after exhausting research, I realized that I would suffer from culture shock on the East coast. :lol:
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

good luck dodging Iselle and Julio.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Thank you. Our end dodged a bullet (again) and I was only worried about my newly-transplanted tomato plant. Now if only I can keep all the chickens from making salad out of it...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

GREAT launch this morning. I particularly liked seeing the booster rockets shed fuel as they prepared to land on the drone ship. The sun exposed a huge halo of the entire event.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

For those of you who can't get enough of your Vibe, you can try sleeping on it. :lol:
This was posted in our local craigslist for sale today.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Gee, I always thought Vibes used at night had a different shape..