New Here: Assistance with Windshield Wipers?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
2010redvibe

New Here: Assistance with Windshield Wipers?

Post by 2010redvibe »

Hello! I'm new and found this community searching for Vibe info. I've learned some great info from reading through the various threads. Thanks for having me.

My question might be an odd one, but I've had it for awhile and can't seem to figure it out. I bought my 2010 Vibe used, with very low mileage of <10K miles. I bought it from someone that was concerned about the Toyota acceleration recall issue.

When I bought it, the car had some cool and nice windshield wipers on it. I would guess that these wipers were probably the original wipers that came from Pontiac. But I can't find them anywhere! Nor can I find any information about them. They have some info printed on them, but no brand name is listed, etc. I took some pictures. I searched online for these ID numbers and can't find anything.

I would think that if anyone can help out it would be someone from this community. Does anyone know the brand or make of these windshield wipers? The letters in the first picture are the only identifiers on the entire wiper.

Are these original wipers? Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_0569 (Small).JPG
IMG_0569 (Small).JPG (32.75 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
IMG_0568 (Small).JPG
IMG_0568 (Small).JPG (27.11 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Rayven01

Re: New Here: Assistance with Windshield Wipers?

Post by Rayven01 »

Yup, those are OEM. You can just replace the rubber inserts in those for a few bucks apiece rather than the whole blade. Here are the toyota part numbers for the inserts (usually cheaper from Toyota dealers than from GM):
Driver Side; 85214-68020

Passenger Side; 85214-42050

Rear Window: 85214-12310
Image  Image
2010redvibe

Post by 2010redvibe »

Ravyen01, thank you for your reply! You have solved the mystery!

Those part numbers will be terrific. Now, can I ask you, can I also buy the entire wiper blade as an OEM #? And if so, do you happen to know those OEM numbers?
trb

Post by trb »

No need to buy the whole wipers unless you just want to blow a lot of money for nothing, as long as your blades are still good. These inserts are very easy to replace, work just like OEM, and are not anything like the generic inserts you used to buy. Take the OEM blades apart and you can see the metal reinforcing pieces you transfer to the new insert and then you can put them back together again.

88969934 Rear blade $7.69
19184577 Front right $7.69
19184578 Front Left $7.69

From GMpartsdirect.com, with S&H, these are $37.74 I bought all 3 inserts from my Toyota dealer for less than $16. The wiper inserts from GMpartsdirect.com are $4.94 each plus S&H. I had to cut the rear one as it was about 1" too long, but maybe that is because the Matrix blade might be longer or something.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
2010redvibe

Post by 2010redvibe »

trb, thanks for the valuable info. I am certainly going to go the route of just buying the inserts. It seems that makes the most sense.

Guys, thanks very much for your help. I have been holding these wipers for over a year and now I can simply get new inserts and use them again. I always liked the look of these OEM wipers over the cheap replacement wipers I've been using.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

trb wrote:I had to cut the rear one as it was about 1" too long, but maybe that is because the Matrix blade might be longer or something.
This is actually because both Toyota and GM list the wrong part number for the 2nd gen Vibe rear insert. The Toyota part number I listed above is the correct one and is the same as the one listed for the 1st gen vibes (11" vs 12").
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:No need to buy the whole wipers unless you just want to blow a lot of money for nothing, as long as your blades are still good. These inserts are very easy to replace, work just like OEM, and are not anything like the generic inserts you used to buy. Take the OEM blades apart and you can see the metal reinforcing pieces you transfer to the new insert and then you can put them back together again.

88969934 Rear blade $7.69
19184577 Front right $7.69
19184578 Front Left $7.69

From GMpartsdirect.com, with S&H, these are $37.74 I bought all 3 inserts from my Toyota dealer for less than $16. The wiper inserts from GMpartsdirect.com are $4.94 each plus S&H. I had to cut the rear one as it was about 1" too long, but maybe that is because the Matrix blade might be longer or something.
FYI, the GM part numbers posted above are for the entire wiper blade housing. Below are the part numbers for just the wiper blade itself (wiper blade insert).

Front driver - #19184580 | Front passenger - #19184579 | Rear - #88969935

Also, for reference the prices on GMPartsCenter.net are as follows:
Front driver – GMPC: $5.80 / MSRP (aka dealer price): $7.92
Front passenger – GMPC: $5.80 / MSRP: $7.92
Rear – GMPC : $5.80 / MSRP: $7.92

GMPartsCenter.net offers free shipping, but charges an $8.95 handling fee, so your best bet would be to go directly to either your local GM or Toyota dealer and order the inserts from there to avoid paying shipping.

As others have said, I too replaced just the wiper blade inserts back in 2012 on both our 2009 Vibe GTs. I love the sleeker look of the OEM housings, so there was no way I wanted to get cheesy looking aftermarket wipers.

Also a tip about the wiper blade housings, if the ones on your Vibe are looking faded or otherwise crummy, re-paint them using satin black Krylon Fusion. They'll look brand new again ;)!

*EDIT*

On a bit of a side note, welcome to GenVibe! Make a post in The Vibe Lounge introducing yourself and your Vibe. FYI, we love pictures around here, so posting some pictures of your Vibe would be a great idea as well :D!
Last edited by vibenvy on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
trb

Post by trb »

Right Carrie, the inserts have a different part number. The part numbers I listed are for the blade assembly with the inserts, not just the inserts. The MSRP on each of them is about $12.05.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:Right Carrie, the inserts have a different part number. The part numbers I listed are for the blade assembly with the inserts, not just the inserts. The MSRP on each of them is about $12.05.
My bad :oops:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage