Project PowerStop: Complete 2009 Vibe GT brake upgrade

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
vibenvy

Re: Project PowerStop: Complete 2009 Vibe GT brake upgrade

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATES

The Techna-Fit brake lines arrived a couple weeks ago.

Yesterday I dropped the rotors, calipers and caliper brackets off at the powder coater. Everything will be sandblasted and powder coated satin black. Should be done in about a week then everything will finally get installed!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

Almost a year ago (04.15.17), I picked up the calipers, caliper brackets and rotors from the powder coater.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

How has the powder coating held up over the year you've had them?

I'd be leery of powder coating, personally, because of the increased insulation factor.

In sixteen years of driving a Vibe, I've had exactly zero warped rotors, zero excessively rusted parts, and always used auto parts store components. (I've had to replace 'ground' rotors, as my wife didn't tell me that there was a lot of noise from the brakes on her car, but that's another problem entirely)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 pm How has the powder coating held up over the year you've had them?

I'd be leery of powder coating, personally, because of the increased insulation factor.

In sixteen years of driving a Vibe, I've had exactly zero warped rotors, zero excessively rusted parts, and always used auto parts store components. (I've had to replace 'ground' rotors, as my wife didn't tell me that there was a lot of noise from the brakes on her car, but that's another problem entirely)
I have not installed any of the upgraded parts yet. I am hoping to finally get everything installed within the next couple months though.
Budman93

Post by Budman93 »

How is the quality of the powerstop pads and rotors? I have been looking at some reviews and I saw some that said they were great and a more recent one that said the pads were spongy and crumbled. I have a 2007 with 130K that has warped front rotors that cause some serious vibration and steering wheel shudder when braking at highway speeds so i wanted to replace the front. I think the rear drums are ok.

I was thinking about getting this kit from RockAuto to do just the front: POWER STOP CRK2316 Z17 Evolution Geomet® Coated Kit
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Budman93 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:50 am How is the quality of the powerstop pads and rotors? I have been looking at some reviews and I saw some that said they were great and a more recent one that said the pads were spongy and crumbled. I have a 2007 with 130K that has warped front rotors that cause some serious vibration and steering wheel shudder when braking at highway speeds so i wanted to replace the front. I think the rear drums are ok.

I was thinking about getting this kit from RockAuto to do just the front: POWER STOP CRK2316 Z17 Evolution Geomet® Coated Kit
powerstop parts are generally good quality. i don't think vibeenvy has installed them yet. If she hasn't she is soon. I know it was mentioned on the FB group she was going to shortly. :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My mom's Vibe is currently in the shop getting the full brake upgrade, along with new struts all around.

My Vibe will be getting the same treatment within the next few weeks.
Budman93

Post by Budman93 »

I put the power stop z17 coated front roters and pads on my 07 about an hour ago and did the break in procedure. They seem to be working well.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I have to do my back brakes. I really don't like drum brakes.