Blower won't turn off!

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ktamlyn

Blower won't turn off!

Post by ktamlyn »

My blower would not turn off about 1/10 times I drove the car - especially if it was warm from a longer drive. The blower would also not come on at the lower settings. I took my Vibe 2004 to the shop and they told me that I needed a new blower resister and motor. This appears to have been 100% true, but after these were replaced the blower now never turns off!

The temporary solution was to unplug the resistor when I turn the car off. This is somewhat difficult but is doable so I thought that I may just live with it seeing as the car is on its last legs (250K, and a slew of other minor issues such as no functioning AC).

Instead of getting the fix performed at the shop when it was diagnosed, I used the temporary solution until the blower stopped working altogether. I bought after market parts and installed them myself with help from a post here. This brought the fan back to life and the blower now blows wonderfully, however as I said it won't turn off! I suspect some form of electrical problem associated with the dial that turns off the fan, however I am unsure and certainly don't have the experience to know otherwise. If the problem is not fixable I am considering installing an electrical switch to the resistor so that I don't have to unplug it - I can just flip a switch.

What could be the cause of the remaining issue (the blower won't turn off) and is it likely fixable without extensive trouble?

Thanks for any help!!!