SRS Airbag light on constantly after warranty work

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
vibetalkin

SRS Airbag light on constantly after warranty work

Post by vibetalkin »

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and this is a somewhat lengthy post so please bear with me.

Car: 2003 Pontiac Vibe base model 5 speed manual trans.

Problem: 6 months ago I had an electrical filter (harness) installed by a dealership in accordance with a GM safety recall (and Toyota - since the car is pretty
much a re-badged Toyota Matrix). This harness is supposed to filter out electrical noise that could possibly cause the inadvertent deployment of the
airbags. Everything seemed fine after I had this done- no problems. Well about 2 months later, the airbag light came on and wouldn't turn off. Took it back
to dealership - they used scan tool - said DTC was B1101 - said the problem was in the module. I used a jumper to read code myself - I get a DTC 15 -
voltage problem. I have checked the instrument fuses and the engine compartment fuses - all good. Horn and switches on the steering column all
work(so I doubt clock spring problem). I have not checked the relays in the engine compartment nor the ones that plug directly into the srs control
module. I have tried to turn the light off myself using the factory service procedure (jumper wire) but I can't get this work. I need the light to be
operational in order to pass a Virginia state inspection (light must turn on and then turn off after approx. 6 sec.). I never did have a battery/starting
problem with my vibe (which I am quite fond of btw) and the battery is a 2 y.o Optima red-top.

So my questions are -

1) Has anyone here experienced a similar problem? Could you describe your particular issue in detail please?
2) Possible solutions (other than taking it back to the dealership)?

A lot of folks here know quite a bit more about this than I do and I would be most appreciative of any help offered. I am not a "pro" just a weekend wrencher who is trying to avoid being taken advantage of by the dealership

Thanks.
M1MECHANIC

Re: SRS Airbag light on constantly after warranty work

Post by M1MECHANIC »

Has problem with the SRS light. One dealer told me one thing then I took it a different dealer (have 2 near me). The second told me it was the Clock Spring in the steering wheel and the fix was about $1000 cheaper than what the first dealer told me. Had the Clock Spring replaced total cost was $300 with tax (CA). Haven't had a problem. You might want to get second look from different place and ask about the Clock Spring. Hope this helps you out.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

there is no testing available for the srs system.

if/when there are codes, you really only have 1 choice in fixing the light, that is by replacing faulty components.

if there is an issue with the srs system then the diagnostic module will throw the light. if there is a problem with the diagnostic module then you will have to replace that module. it's as simple as that.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

Brought my 2003 in for first airbag recall (airbag light came ON ONE WEEK PRIOR to appt). Bringing in for second airbag recall next week - hoping this will be the cause of airbag light).
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thats sucks, this is why im terrified to take the Vibe in for this recall :|
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Kerrangsta

Post by Kerrangsta »

gogreen the exact same thing happened to me on my 2004 Vibe. what a crock. I see a linked ad above for a reformatted module for the SRS, do these work? Has anybody had any sucess for their $49?
canasiaus

Post by canasiaus »

Hi. Have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with the same problem, the Airbag readiness light staying on constantly. Finally got the recall notice, went in on 17 Oct 2014 and had the spiral cable assembly replaced. Drove home from the dealership and the Airbag readiness light worked fine. The next day, back to the same old problem, with the Airbag Readiness Light staying on. Went in to the dealership on 20 Oct 2014 and told them the recall repair did not fix the problem. They told me that the cause must be something other then what the specific recall fix addressed, and that I would be liable for repairs. I think GM has just lost a good customer.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

recalls are issued to replace/update specific components. recalls are not required to repair any pre-existing or future issues.
schwartzy18510

Post by schwartzy18510 »

vibetalkin wrote: I used a jumper to read code myself - I get a DTC 15 - voltage problem.
What is the process for using a jumper to read the fault codes yourself? I have an airbag light that I've been unable to resolve even after the outstanding recalls have been completed. Already attempted a hard reset by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 minutes, to no avail. I'd love to identify the problem myself, simply because I don't trust the local dealership.
2003 Salsa Red Vibe Base Model
1.8L 1ZZ-FE, FWD, AT, 190K Miles
*Unresolved Vibration at Idle*
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

Have now had THREE recall services due to airbag system. Light is still on! Dealer claims it will run up to $1000 to repair - and they don't even know what the issue is yet!
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

There is a new recall. The parts aren't ready yet. Don't pay anything. Run your VIN:

https://recalls.gm.com/#/
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Same thing for me. No issues to in for recall temp fix, not only do they screen my interior up but my airbag light is now on,too. Go in for the passenger airbag fix, and told it'll be at least a grand to replace the module on drivers side. Told them to kiss my (removed) in so many words and assured them they would be fixing it.
Found out about future airbag recall and decided to hold off before calling corporate.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage