2010 2.4L Vibe, Original Owner, NEW to forum 8/27/13

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
honeybehive

2010 2.4L Vibe, Original Owner, NEW to forum 8/27/13

Post by honeybehive »

2010 2.4 Vibe
2010 2.4 Vibe
myVibe.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
Hello everyone!

A little bit of info on my vibe:

Model: 2010 Pontiac Vibe
Color: Carbon Gray Metallic (thanks for the correction vibenvy :D ) We love gray cars and each car/manufacturer calls it something different. lol)
Engine: 2.4L
Additional Options that my car came equipped with:

Sun and Sound Package(power sun roof, upgraded cd player w/mp3 format & aux input, 7 speaker monsoon premium sound, leather wrap steering wheel w/audio controls, leather wrapped shift knob.

Preferred Package (remote keyless entry, power door locks, power windows, cruise control, front & rear variable intermittent wipers)

Cargo Management Package (Rear cargo storage system, front passenger flat-folding seatback w/rear table surface)

17" Aluminum Wheels (P24) & Front Halogen Fog Lamps, Pontiac Wheel Locks

Purchased Date: Oct 2009, purchased NEW at Pontiac Dealership. This was my "cash for clunkers" purchase.

Current Mileage: 50,000, just changed the original brakes.

What I have added to the Vibe:

WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Liners for the entire car (front, back and rear cargo area) (still have the OEM carpet mats, sitting in a bag)
K&N Cold Air Intake (still have the OEM air box, filter etc)
Stainless Steel Brake Lines (installed at 50k when I needed to resurface my front rotors,add new pads, I decided to purchase new rotors for the rear and add new pads)
OEM Cargo Shade
OEM Front & Rear Splash Guards (not installed yet)

Looking to possibly purchase:
Strut bars, front & rear? Maybe someone could shed some light on what to buy.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :)
Last edited by honeybehive on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
vibenvy

Re: 2010 2.4L Vibe, Original Owner, NEW to forum 8/27/13

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Let me first comment on your username... I literally laughed out loud when I saw it because I work for Y.S. Organic Bee Farms which is a health food manufacturer/supplier that specializes in bee products, including honey :lol:! On to your Vibe... the color is actually "Carbon (not Urban) Grey Metallic" ;). Props on posting so much info on your Vibe in your first post here, but we also really like pictures, so post some when you get a chance *hint hint*! I would especially like to see some pictures of the WeatherTech floor and cargo liners. I am wondering how the cargo liner fits since you have the OEM subwoofer in the cargo area. WeatherTech advertises it as only fitting non-subwoofer equipped vehicles which is why I am curious. It's great to hear you already have the K&N intake! I always recommend it as a must have for anyone with a 2009-2010 2.4L Vibe.

As far as strut braces go, you have 2 options:

1.) OEM strut brace that came standard on all 2009-2010 Vibe GTs

2.) TRD front strut brace

A few months ago, I actually ditched the OEM strut braces on both our 2009 Vibe GTs in favor of TRD strut braces. I was getting tired of the goofy looking OEM braces. I am so glad I got them! After removing the OEM braces, I realized just how heavy they were compared to the TRD braces (the TRD braces are aluminum). Also, another benefit of the TRD braces is that they are one solid piece which provides much more stability, whereas the OEM braces are 3 seperate pieces which allows for more flex. The TRD braces also look like typical strut braces and also add a nice dash of color to the engine bay.

Unfortunately there are no rear strut braces available for the 2009-2010 Vibe.

*EDIT* I forgot to ask about the braided stainless steel brake lines... where did you get them? Did you get them for the front and rear or just the front? Do you notice any difference in the feel of the brake pedal, etc. with them?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Sounds like you got a good deal on your Vibe and you must really love it 'cause you still own it! What took you so long to join us here @ GenVibe? Post pics soon .... we LOVE pics here 8-)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
honeybehive

Post by honeybehive »

@Vibenvy- My user name: honeybehive has a meaning. My name is Melissa (which is greek for honeybee), I am also a beekeeper. :D
Thank you for the pictures and info on the front strut bar.

I will have to take some pictures of the weathertech digitalfit floor mats and also the rear cargo one as well. Yes, it is true that weathertech only provides the rear cargo liner for the vibes without on the sun/sound package which includes the subwoofer.The cargo liner fits, there is just an extra piece of the rubber that goes up along the side, it does not block or interfere with the subwoofer itself. I will have to take pictures to show what the cargo liner currently looks like in the vibe. I will have to do some modifying of the liner itself to remove the extra rubber piece, and create an exact fit. If I can succeed and make it look right, I will post pictures once completed. For now, it serves its intended purpose as a cargo liner.

Rear WeatherTech DigitalFit Cargo Trunk Liner Pictures (current pics, will attach pics once I modify the liner to fit more exact on the right side where the subwoofer is located. ;)

Front View of Cargo Liner:

Left side View:

Right Side View (subwoofer):

Please excuse the dirt & dust in these pictures :lol:

Stainless Steel Brake Lines I installed them on both the front & rear. - Yes, I believe they make braking more responsive and I am definitely glad to have them on my car. There is a noticeable difference in better braking capability. I will have to find the receipt of the Stainless steel brake lines and maybe attach a photo of the lines and post on the forum.

My 2.4 vibe is similar to the 2.4 vibe gt, with the exception of (leather trim seats, body molding - love the vibe gt side skirts, 18" wheels, oem strut bar etc...) Reading further into the forums I have seen that people prefer the 2.4 base vibe over the gt because they can not add a rear sway bar? Does your suspension have something different being you have the GT vs. the 2.4 base? Curious as to the differences with frame, suspension etc... :)

@tpollauf - I guess you could say I was lost, but now I am found. I should have joined years ago. I have looked at the forum throughout the years but never joined. I am glad I made that change. :lol:

I look forward to sharing ideas, posting pictures, learning from other vibe owners, etc... Will try to log into the forum at least a few times a week. It is addicting, there is so much to learn on genvibe! I love it. :D
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Holy Hornet's Nest Batman, we have a bee keeper and a honey producer in our midst.
I hope we're all invited to comb over to your nectar of the woods to say hive sometime.
Don't worry; we swarm that we'll bee-hive.
OK, I won't drone on about this any longer. I'm such a sap.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

honeybehive wrote:@Vibenvy- My user name: honeybehive has a meaning. My name is Melissa (which is greek for honeybee), I am also a beekeeper. :D

I will have to take some pictures of the weathertech digitalfit floor mats and also the rear cargo one as well. Yes, it is true that weathertech only provides the rear cargo liner for the vibes without on the sun/sound package which includes the subwoofer.The cargo liner fits, there is just an extra piece of the rubber that goes up along the side, it does not block or interfere with the subwoofer itself. I will have to take pictures to show what the cargo liner currently looks like in the vibe. I will have to do some modifying of the liner itself to remove the extra rubber piece, and create an exact fit. If I can succeed and make it look right, I will post pictures once completed. For now, it serves its intended purpose as a cargo liner.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines I installed them on both the front & rear. - Yes, I believe they make braking more responsive and I am definitely glad to have them on my car. There is a noticeable difference in better braking capability. I will have to find the receipt of the Stainless steel brake lines and maybe attach a photo of the lines and post on the forum.

My 2.4 vibe is similar to the 2.4 vibe gt, with the exception of (leather trim seats, body molding - love the vibe gt side skirts, 18" wheels, oem strut bar etc...) Reading further into the forums I have seen that people prefer the 2.4 base vibe over the gt because they can not add a rear sway bar? Does your suspension have something different being you have the GT vs. the 2.4 base? Curious as to the differences with frame, suspension etc... :)
That's awesome Melissa! My middle name is Melissa, so yet another thing we have in common :lol:! We do have some hives on the property of the business I work for, but I have not been able to go see them ever :(. Just curious where you live? Are you a beekeeper for a large business or is it just a hobby?

You're very welcome for the info and pictures! That's why I'm here :D!

The cargo liner does fit pretty well. I actually live about an hour from WeatherTech. I should contact them and see if they'd be willing to make some cargo liners without that extra piece.

I am definitely curious to hear where you got the brake lines from. Now I want some :P!

Yeah, I was thinking that your Vibe is essentially a GT. Yes, you cannot add a rear anti-sway bar to the 2009-2010 GT or AWD because they both have IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), whereas the 1.8L and 2.4L Bases have torsion beam rear suspsension (I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Essentially, the GT and AWD already have a built in rear anti-sway bar I believe. This is one thing I definitely wish I could add to my GT, but I definitely couldn't live without the GT body parts and wheels, so I guess I'll stick with my GT :P!

Glad to see you posted a picture of your Vibe in the original post! You should start a Garage thread for it to show off any mods you've already done and any new mods you do in the future ;)! I look forward to seeing more progress, etc. from you!
Caretaker wrote:Holy Hornet's Nest Batman, we have a bee keeper and a honey producer in our midst.
I hope we're all invited to comb over to your nectar of the woods to say hive sometime.
:lol:
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Caretaker wrote:Holy Hornet's Nest Batman, we have a bee keeper and a honey producer in our midst.
SWEET!
honeybehive

Post by honeybehive »

Very cute! You made me laugh! :D :lol: (I bee-leave you will bee-have :lol: )
honeybehive

Post by honeybehive »

vibenvy wrote:
honeybehive wrote:@Vibenvy- My user name: honeybehive has a meaning. My name is Melissa (which is greek for honeybee), I am also a beekeeper. :D

That's awesome Melissa! My middle name is Melissa, so yet another thing we have in common :lol:! We do have some hives on the property of the business I work for, but I have not been able to go see them ever :(. Just curious where you live? Are you a beekeeper for a large business or is it just a hobby?

You're very welcome for the info and pictures! That's why I'm here :D!

The cargo liner does fit pretty well. I actually live about an hour from WeatherTech. I should contact them and see if they'd be willing to make some cargo liners without that extra piece.

I am definitely curious to hear where you got the brake lines from. Now I want some :P!

Yeah, I was thinking that your Vibe is essentially a GT. Yes, you cannot add a rear anti-sway bar to the 2009-2010 GT or AWD because they both have IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), whereas the 1.8L and 2.4L Bases have torsion beam rear suspsension (I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Essentially, the GT and AWD already have a built in rear anti-sway bar I believe. This is one thing I definitely wish I could add to my GT, but I definitely couldn't live without the GT body parts and wheels, so I guess I'll stick with my GT :P!

Glad to see you posted a picture of your Vibe in the original post! You should start a Garage thread for it to show off any mods you've already done and any new mods you do in the future ;)! I look forward to seeing more progress, etc. from you!
:lol:
I called Weathertech and they told me that they were not planning on doing a cargo liner to fit the vibes that have the oem subwoofer installed. Also, emailed weathertech to see if maybe I could get a better answer from someone higher up in rank within in the company. Same answer, they are not planning on making the liner to fit the vibes that have the oem subwoofer. However, I have hopes that since you live so close ( ;) ) maybe you might be able to get them to make one. If they can and do, please let me know and I will sell mine to someone that has a base vibe without the oem subwoofer....thats if I do not try to modify the liner myself. :)

As far as beekeeping, it has been a few years and it was done mainly for a hobby, I did sell honey, comb honey and made beeswax candles that I sold locally in Michigan where I live. Next spring 2014 I am looking to have 5-6 hives. Can't wait!

How do you like the independent rear suspension on your GT? I hear reviews that people wish they had the base vibe vs. the gt with independent suspension? Honestly I wish my vibe had "magnetic selective ride control" like my 2011 GS Corvette does. :D
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I actually emailed WeatherTech once too and never even got a response. If I'm ever in the area, I will definitely stop in and see what they have to say. I was thinking maybe if we could enough people (say 10) to pre-order and pay for them, maybe they would make a few at least. It doesn't seem like it would take too much to simply remove that extra piece near the subwoofer...

That's neat that you did beekeeping as a hobby! As I said, the family that owns the business I work for does have some hives of their own on their property (which also houses the three warehouses that they run the business out of), but unfortunately I have never gotten to see them in person, although I would love to! We get our honey and other products from all over the place, Canada, Brazil, New Zealand, etc. It's a pretty neat place to work. It's cool to see how all the products come together, etc. Our Buckwheat Honey has even been featured on the Dr. Oz Show.

As far as the suspension goes, I haven't driven a Base, so I really can't comment. IMO though, the GT rides and handles great! It can be a bit bumpy sometimes with the low profile tires and stiff suspension, but it's not that bad. It just feels sporty.

:o you must post pictures of the Corvette!
WhgVibe

Post by WhgVibe »

Honeybehiver...Did you notice an increase with performance or MPG with the K&N Cold intake? Ive been considering it but really have no experience using one. Thoughts?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote:I actually emailed WeatherTech once too and never even got a response. If I'm ever in the area, I will definitely stop in and see what they have to say. I was thinking maybe if we could enough people (say 10) to pre-order and pay for them, maybe they would make a few at least. It doesn't seem like it would take too much to simply remove that extra piece near the subwoofer...
You can count me in if they would actually consider running a small batch of cargo covers for those of us with the subwoofer :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

Sharp! The dark grey/charcoal is I believe my very favorite color in the 2nd gens. I say "I think" because then I see some other color and I"m like "oooh, that one's pretty too" all the time. lol But I think the dark grey suits the car very very well, if not the best of all color options.

Good Luck with it & hope you have many happy years of driving fun!!
honeybehive

Post by honeybehive »

WhgVibe wrote:Honeybehiver...Did you notice an increase with performance or MPG with the K&N Cold intake? Ive been considering it but really have no experience using one. Thoughts?
Yes I definitely think that the K&N Intake does increase overall performance on my vibe. Looks better than the standard air box which is a bonus :D
The Cold intake was very easy to install. It makes a nice sound when increasing speed as you can hear the air sucking into the intake. Hope this helps you out.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
honeybehive

Post by honeybehive »

Kincaid wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!
Thank you :)
CountD

Post by CountD »

I just picked up a 2008 Vibe AWD 2.4L and looking for 1st and 2nd row floor liners by Weathertech. They currently only offer the 1st row floor liner for around $133. The 2nd row has a higher hump and they do not have a product to offer today. Ordered an Omac set had to return it it was not even close. So what option that you recommend for 2nd row? Please advise!