Too poor for new rims? Plasti Dip.

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
MaSlade

Too poor for new rims? Plasti Dip.

Post by MaSlade »

Hey guys,

I had a free day from work/school so I decided to Plasti Dip my wheels. I was feeling a little adventurous, so here's the process and some before/after pictures.

My 2010 Vibe base came with the chrome AWD Vibe wheels when I first bought it. The wheels were covered with small dings and had some slight curb rash, so I figured I would Plasti Dip them for fun.

If you don't know about Plasti Dip, it's a rubber coating in a rattle can that can be applied to almost ANYTHING with a clean surface and proper prepping. The cans I used dry in a matte black, and it's super durable/reliable even though it can be peeled off if you wanted to do so. It's definitely less permanent than actual spray-paint, and more cost-effective than vinyl sheeting. Huge win-win for me, personally.

Things you will need:
1. Water & Bucket
2. Cleaning Cloth (Old t-shirt)
3. Rubbing Alcohol
4. Painter's Tape
5. 3-4 Cans of Plasti Dip ($25.00 from Home Depot)
6.(optional) Pack of Cards
7.(optional) Wax & Tar Remover

The first step is to remove the wheels from your vehicle. Of course, you could probably leave the wheels on your vehicle, but I went the extra mile because I was feeling too lazy to have to rub out the overspray. Either way, it's no big deal.

I washed my wheels with soap and water (standard dish detergent) and I even cleaned the inside of the wheel because I found some Krud Kutter. This stuff cuts through grease and brake dust like nothing ;)

After washing and drying the wheel, I used some wax & tar remover to remove the degreasing agent from the wheel. This was optional, but I figured it would have been a good idea. Afterwards, I used a generic rubbing alcohol over the entire wheel as the last prepping step so the Plasti Dip could stick to the wheel.

Again, I was feeling too lazy to have to peel off overspray, so I used some playing cards to block off the tire 8-)

When applying the first coat, I made it light and paid really close attention to the inside corners and sides of the spokes. This ensures that you don't end up with runs and it keeps the paint looking even. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes before I applied the second coat.

The second coat was heavier, and I paid more attention to the front of the spokes and the edge of the wheel. Grab a snack; 10-15 min. wait.

My last coat was heavier, and I applied it with the purpose to cover any spots I missed. IMMEDIATELY after this coat, I removed the playing cards before the paint started drying. If you let the paint dry before you remove the cards, you risk pulling off the 3 coats of Plasti Dip. This also applies to any other barrier you use (painter's tape, frog tape, etc.) so remove any tape, barrier, or design template immediately after the last coat is applied.

After 5 minutes of drying, I wanted to remove the outer strip to get a chrome-lip look. Since my wheels were already chrome, I just had to cut and peel off the layer I didn't want.

This is what the wheel looks like after removing the outer strip.

When all wheels were fully dried, I installed them back onto my Vibe. It looked great with the hardware, but I felt like it was missing something...

I went back and cut out the aesthetic bolts from the wheel and that small detail makes it look amazing :D

Here's the finished product:

Before/After:

Things I would have done differently:
1. I only applied 3 coats to each wheel. There were some missing spots, so I would have applied a 4th and maybe a 5th coat for an even better finish. Looks good at this point, though.
2. This project was easy, but it was also very time consuming. I started at 7 a.m. and finished by lunch time. If you have a lot of time, go for it. Don't do this if you have places to be that day.

Thanks for checking out my post!
Rayven01

Re: Too poor for new rims? Plasti Dip.

Post by Rayven01 »

That looks way better than the tacky chrome finish! The fake bolt heads are still a little silly but less so when they aren't exactly the same color as the rest of the wheel. Good job!
Image  Image
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Rayven01 wrote:That looks way better than the tacky chrome finish! The fake bolt heads are still a little silly but less so when they aren't exactly the same color as the rest of the wheel. Good job!
It's definitely something that changes the entire look of the car :) I appreciate the kind words!
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Very nice! Removing the coating from the rim lip and the fake bolts made a huge difference. I'm impressed!

2006 Lexus SC430 White Gold Crystal
2010 Lexus RX350 Matador Red Mica
2013 Lexus CT200h Starfire Pearl
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

PlatinumVibe08 wrote:Very nice! Removing the coating from the rim lip and the fake bolts made a huge difference. I'm impressed!
Thank you kindly! I definitely agree. Was going to keep it all black, but it didn't look right when I was finishing up. Things turned out better than expected!
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

dude....
GREAT job dipping those! :o

Those look awesome now.
This is simply a MUST for anyone else with these wheels
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

A Psycho Martyr wrote:dude....
GREAT job dipping those! :o

Those look awesome now.
This is simply a MUST for anyone else with these wheels
Thanks, man. I forgot to mention that I was planning on buying a new set of rims from a local place here, but I forgot that I don't have a grand to spend :lol: This being only $25.00 for the Plasti Dip and everything else was free since I had hanging out in my garage.

Unless I factor in the 4-5 hours I spent working on it. I'm getting paid 9.25/hr at my current job, and 5 hours of work makes that $46.25...

Total cost I guess would be $71.25?

Total savings: $1128.75. :)
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I can't help thinking if they came looking like from the factory that they might have sold a lot more of that option package.
Image  Image
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Best I've seen!
sparky494

Post by sparky494 »

That looks awesome man! I never worked with plasti dip before, how durable is it? Will it take the beating that wheels get?
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

sparky494 wrote:That looks awesome man! I never worked with plasti dip before, how durable is it? Will it take the beating that wheels get?
It's surprisingly durable. I've only had it applied for a couple days, but I've done hours of highway driving and I've driven through dirt and a little sand without any scuffing. Florida is geographically flat, but man, their roads are bumpy and filled with potential gravel projectiles.

I also have a strip of Plasti Dip painted on the front of my bumper (I think one of my pictures shows this), and considering that it's constantly getting pelted by sand, dirt, and gravel, no damage has been made to it. My guess is that since it's a plastic/rubberized coating, things just bounce off of it instead of acting the way normal spray paint does; chipping because of it's stiff nature.

Really, the only way you're going to ruin it is if you dig your finger nails into it and attempt to peel it off. Then it's relatively easy to remove and damage.

I'll let you know how they look next week. :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great job on the wheels! The black and chrome goes great with your Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe :cool:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zurge936

Post by zurge936 »

That turned out good. When I started reading your post I wasn't sure what to think about your idea, but after seeing the results I am impressed.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Those look absolutely fantastic! Great execution, and very original.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Thanks guys :)

I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into. I took my blindfold off and Holy Cow! I actually made something pretty neat.

Plasti Dip is definitely my new best friend. The wheels are holding up great; no chips, tears, etc. after almost a week of application. Highly recommended for experimenting.
daniel4888

Post by daniel4888 »

I Plasti dip my rims to but with plasti dip changes the whole look of the car completely