Window tint...

Ontario
metaxa44

Window tint...

Post by metaxa44 »

Thinking to get my windows tinted , but I do not want to be stoped by the police...
Like to know what is the darkest window tint people get away with in GTA ???
Wonder what is the factory tint on the Vibe anyways...
Love to hear any recommendations on where to get it done and what kind of tint I should get...
And like to know people with expirience how dark is confortable to drive or back up with at night...

ColonelPanic

Re: Window tint...

Post by ColonelPanic »

metaxa44 wrote:And like to know people with expirience how dark is confortable to drive or back up with at night...
I had 20% on my car as a teenager many years ago.. I chose to never do that again. ;) It was very difficult to see out of at night.

My Vibe and my current car have 35% which to me is a good balance. The installer used Llumar brand film, and it's been on my current car for going on 7 years and is holding up very nicely.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Hey Metaxa,
Legal tint in Ontario is 35% front driver & passenger window, and all windows behind the "B" pillar can be as dark as you like (5% is the norm) - My 2010 Vibe has 20% fronts & 5% rears - never been bothered by police (I usually keep the sunroof shade open to "lighten" up the cabin if there are police on the prowl ;) ) - I have had the tint for 2 years now, I got it done here in Oshawa @ Ultimate car audio (they use a outsource company called "UR" UniqueRidez) Excellent job, had it done in about 2 hrs & he also does mobile. They use the Llumar film which carries the lifetime warranty (don't go for anything less) - As ColonelPanic mentioned & I can relate to it, backing up @ night can be a PITA - I have LED reverse lights which help with output, but it still is not sufficient - I usually find myself dropping the window or opening the door in some cases to see what I am doing - I am going to be upgrading my LED's to some Higher power LED's - Just as a note, they do make HID reverse lights now which would be ideal, so that can be another option - I have had this set up on my Cavalier as well, I love the look & understand the sacrifice of night driving, but that's the trade off for looking good! :D - Hope this helps, Happy Tinting!
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Thanks Guys,

I was thinking 30% all around....
Oh and XRVibe10 I did that mod with the auto light , just by disconnecting the sensor on the dash...
I did not have to take everything apart...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Although I can't comment on your local laws or where to get your windows tinted, I can comment, and agree, with getting 35% all around. Just as ColonelPanic said, it is an ideal % IMO. It's dark enough to look good and serve its purpose, but not so dark that you will have a hard time seeing at night, etc. Both our Vibes are tinted 35% all around and I couldn't be happier with it. I personally prefer the tint to be all one % too. It looks goofy to me if the front windows are lighter than the back windows. Just my $0.02 though.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

metaxa44 wrote:Thanks Guys,

I was thinking 30% all around....
Oh and XRVibe10 I did that mod with the auto light , just by disconnecting the sensor on the dash...
I did not have to take everything apart...
I figured there was another way of disconnecting the sensor - I assume you just poped it out of the dash & disconnected it? I read some of the eariler Vibes doing that but I didn't want to lose the harness down in the dash or possibly break the sensor tabs - Glad it worked for you either way - I went with the removal of parts since I have had many dashes apart to do steering columns so it was super easy for me either way :D
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

I have 32% on my car (I wanted 35% but there was 32% and 38% available). Never been stopped by police.

I got them installed at Auto-Links in Scarborough almost 4 years ago and no problems so far.
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Hey gimmegimme,
Do you have white LED strips mounted on your front bumper by any chance??? I saw a white GT a few months ago in the pickering/ajax area, was wondering if it was you?
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

No, that's not me. All I have on my front bumper is rock chips. :)
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Yes I did it from the top and taped the harness to the sensor , so if I ever want to reconnect I pop the sensor and comes out with the rest..
Plug back in and done...

Now the tint..
Is it easy to scrach , because I do have a dog ???
Someone told me to be carefull with that...
Or I was told people accinentaly scrach it with there rings...
See , all my other cars had factory tint before , so I had no worries...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I have 3 dogs that ride in my Vibe all the time and so far they have not scratched the tint. Tinted windows are not that easy to scratch.

If you do get your windows tinted, make sure you DO NOT clean your windows with any cleaner that has amonia in it. It will turn the tint purple. I use Stoner's Invisible Glass. It works great and won't affect the tint at all.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
92blacktt

Post by 92blacktt »

I did 5% all around, including the windshield. It looked really baller, but then I drove into a burnt out light pole in a parking lot at night.
vibeguy23

Post by vibeguy23 »

I have my Vibe windows tinted and although there is technically a "legal" tint level in Ontario it is usually officers discession on what they consider to be legal or not. I have 25% all the way around and at times it can be difficult to see at night especially through the rear window. I have also done two drivers tests in my Vibe and never had any issues. In all honesty you will be hard pressed to find an officer that will pull you over for tinted windows because most of the time they have more important things to worry about.