Autocrossers?

Discussions about legally sanctioned general motorsports events
DirtDevil

Autocrossers?

Post by DirtDevil »

ANyone here do autocross? Especially anybody with the new vibes? I dont see many out there
Turner Buick GMC(717)354-4451 x122(484)639-1921I dare you to call me
Canker

Re: Autocrossers? (DirtDevil)

Post by Canker »

I do but with my miata not the vibe. I'm sure the vibe will end up being used at some point though. Need to swap out the drivetrain out of the miata her really soon.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
KITT222

Re: Autocrossers? (Canker)

Post by KITT222 »

I do want to do some autocross this year, I'm just not entirely sure how to find the autocross events.
Canker

Re: Autocrossers? (KITT222)

Post by Canker »

http://www.scca.com/about/index.cfm?cid=44433Go there and click on your general area and then narrow it down again and then click on the webpage link for the group closest to you.
06pvibe

Re: Autocrossers? (DirtDevil)

Post by 06pvibe »

I used to... many years ago. I had two cars and did both Road Rally and Auto-X with them both. My first was a '68 Volvo 144S, highly modified of course.The second and my fav was an '80 Honda Civic. That car didn't take quite as much modifying to make it go and handle... but I did some interesting stuff to her anyway.My fav was night road rallying. I got use my lights and the challenge driving mostly unfamiliar back roads was exciting. BTW: I lived in Pa and "raced" in Pa/NJ.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

There are a few autocross Vibes on here. Not sure how active they are anymore though. I can't really remember their names though.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
mac99d

Re: Autocrossers?

Post by mac99d »

I do I do....But not in a newer one. I hold my own it just tons of fun.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colterk

Post by colterk »

Definitely something I am interested in. More so for fun rather than actually racing. I wouldn't even know where to start though as far as parts and all that. I followed the scca links to to some rally sites in WA but I can't find much info on getting started. They do offer rallycross for beginners to try your hand at it, but that's all I can find.
Link to my 'garage' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87
Canker

Post by Canker »

I've never done rallycross but I assume it is about the same as autox. To do it all you really need to do is show up and have a car that passes safety tech. How picky they are will vary from area to area but the biggies are the battery needs to be secure and the throttle return, make sure the throttle doesn't hang and a firm brake pedal. You have to have a helmet but they should have loaners. For just getting started you won't need to do anything to your car. Just show up and have fun for the first few events then you can worry about tweaking your car.
colterk

Post by colterk »

Canker wrote: For just getting started you won't need to do anything to your car. Just show up and have fun for the first few events then you can worry about tweaking your car.
Sounds about right. Now I just need to find the place and all that kind of info. The website wasn't overly informative. But thanks for the input.
Link to my 'garage' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

Hey all.

I started AutoXing last year on the east side of Cleveland with http://noraracing.net/.
The local club is the Akron Sports Car Club.
The club runs event about 2x a month from mid-spring through the fall. Great group, good people, fun events.

We use the abandoned parking lot of the old Geaua Lake amusement park. They set up a course of orange cones for each event and the course is different every weekend.

Next event is June 3rd. Details will be posted on the club forum here: http://noraracing.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More importnat, the club is doing a fund-raising event on June 16th (the Saturday of Father's Day weekend). Details here:

Laps for Tina Charity Autocross

On Saturday June 16th 2012 the Northern Ohio Racing Association (NORA) will be holding a charity autocross race at Geauga Lake to benefit Tina DePietro as she battles malignant melanoma.

Instead of getting married this summer on a beach to fiancé Eric Heller, Tina is receiving chemotherapy and battling stage 4 cancer. The charity event planned on Father’s Day weekend is very appropriate as her father Mike, and mother Linda are long time racers and helped fuel her hobby of racing sports cars.
…
Activities planned include an autocross, which is a precision driving event racing against the clock on a pylon-lined course, ride a longs giving the public a chance to see what it feels like to navigate a race course from the passenger seat of a sports car, and on site refreshments are available. Previous racing experience is not necessary to participate in the autocross, but all vehicles must pass a safety inspection, all drivers must attend a mandatory safety meeting and helmets must be worn.

Cost $40 for all drivers

Planned dual course event. Fastest time from A.M. and P.M course combined.

Lots of Prizes for top drivers as well as raffles (List to follow soon)

Still a points paying event for members

Schedule of Events for Saturday June 16th 2012
8:00 A.M. Driver Registration Opens (Pre Registration at Racerslane.com)
8:30 A.M. Tech Inspection Opens
9:15 A.M. Novice Course Walk
9:30 A.M. Mandatory Drivers Meeting
10:00 A.M First Cars Off
12:30 Lunch available to purchase on site from Bier Haus Euro American Bistro
1:00 to 3:00 P.M. Public Ride a Longs available, donations welcomed.

Lunch available for purchase on site from Bier Haus Euro American Bistro, portion of profits to the cause
http://thebierhausbistro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Information at: http://www.giveforward.com/takeastepwithtina" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Online Registration at
http://www.racerslane.com/clubs/NORA%20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … ents/11954

This event will be held at Geauga Lake.
7213 N Aurora Rd, Aurora, OH 44202, USA
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
crashbandit

Post by crashbandit »

I'm volunteering to work the snowdrift rally in Atlanta,MI. next weekend. I noticed one team is racing a 2003 vibe GT! I'll try to post some pics here if possible.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

crashbandit wrote:I'm volunteering to work the snowdrift rally in Atlanta,MI. next weekend. I noticed one team is racing a 2003 vibe GT! I'll try to post some pics here if possible.
Doug and the Rally Vibe.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
RonB

Post by RonB »

I participated in an autocross at Dixie Classic Fairgrounds this Sunday. I came in 3rd of 4 in H Street, at my 3rd event.

The car is dead stock, with 104k, except for an upgraded rear sway bar. It still has the junk all-season tires from when I bought it a couple months ago.

It is not the ideal car for autocross:
- The height (and the large glass areas up high) give greater weight transfer and lean to the outer wheel
- The strut front suspension means the tires lean with the car, reducing traction and wearing the outside heavily
- The open differential means the unloaded inside tire spins very easily on acceleration
- The high revving nature of the engine, and the spread between first and second, mean you spend the majority of your time well out of the powerband

Just for giggles, I took one pass leaving it in first. Spent about 25% of my time bouncing off the rev limiter, and contributed lots of smoke to the atmosphere. It was my 2nd fastest time of the day,though :-)

Photo courtesy Sam Dougherty:
Regards,
RonB
RonB

Post by RonB »

Next autocross 9/24 at Z-Max in Concord, NC. I have arm-twisted my wife into joining me and driving.

I bought a sheet of .020" magnetic sheet to cut numbers from. My driver number is 12, so she will be 112, plus an "N" for novice. We'll see how the sheet works. I'll bring a roll of masking tape for backup.
Regards,
RonB
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Awesome! Let us know how it goes.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

RonB wrote:Next autocross 9/24 at Z-Max in Concord, NC. I have arm-twisted my wife into joining me and driving.

I bought a sheet of .020" magnetic sheet to cut numbers from. My driver number is 12, so she will be 112, plus an "N" for novice. We'll see how the sheet works. I'll bring a roll of masking tape for backup.

How was your autocross experience at Z-Max? Was it fun? Was it worth going to again?
2003 Base Vibe
stulceaseless19

Post by stulceaseless19 »

KingKrab65 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 am
RonB wrote:Next autocross 9/24 at Z-Max in Concord, NC. I have arm-twisted my wife into joining me and driving.

www.jacksonvilleturfpros.com
How was your autocross experience at Z-Max? Was it fun? Was it worth going to again?
Same question. I am planning to do autocross at Z-Max. Just wondering if it's worth it.