Reinstalling my OEM air intake and, of course, I'm missing parts

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
headcold

Reinstalling my OEM air intake and, of course, I'm missing parts

Post by headcold »

I have to install my OEM air intake after using an Injen CIA for over 3 years.I put all the parts from my oem intake in the Injen box, and of course, I've lost a bunch of screws to various pieces. Here's a picture of the parts installed and what I'm missing1. FOUND - Air Intake Box - 3 screws that hold the bottom half of the box to the body2. FOUND - Screw that holds the air intake snorkel to the body on the bottom most part of the snorkel. I think it's the same ~10mm screw that is nearly everywhere else in the body.3. FOUND - Plastic clip that holds the snorkel to the frame. I think I can just zip tie this one.4. There's a little hose the runs from the top of the engine where the spark plugs are to the big S-shaped rubber hose that connects the engine to the air intake box. Right now there's nothing really holding these pieces together. One just fits inside the other, but it seems like it could fall out very easily. When I had the CAI installed, I just had a mini filter in the hose. I don't know if I'm missing a part or another hose or what, but it seems like this ought to fit tighter than it does now.5. There's a little plastic box/part that screws into a small hole on the S-shaped hose. I'm missing that screw.I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to the sizes/specifications of these screws so I can find some locally.Thanks!
08 Base Platinum/Grey.Injen CAI. 10" sub & amp. Ground wire kit. Scangauge II. Honk on lock kit. Siren & PA. Fog light protectors. Insulated AC line. Double-height console lid. 12v outlet in console.
star_deceiver

Re: Reinstalling my OEM air intake and, of course, I'm missing parts (headcold)

Post by star_deceiver »

find a wrecked Vibe at the bone yard and have at 'er!Quote, originally posted by headcold »I have to install my OEM air intake after using an Injen CIA for over 3 years.What's wrong with CAI?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
headcold

Post by headcold »

Nothing specifically. I took my vibe in for a recall on the PCM (http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=45785 ) and ever since it's been riding rough in idle, stalling every now and then and the CEL has been on.The dealership says that this is due to the CAI, and I think that's bull****, but they won't budge on it. They won't look at the car again until I take the CAI off.The big problem is that without getting it fixed, the CEL is preventing me from passing inspection, which got me a ticket, which I can get dismissed if I show proof of inspection.I'm, for now, going to take the easy way and reinstall the oem airbox, pass inspection, then mess around with the CAI again.
08 Base Platinum/Grey.Injen CAI. 10" sub & amp. Ground wire kit. Scangauge II. Honk on lock kit. Siren & PA. Fog light protectors. Insulated AC line. Double-height console lid. 12v outlet in console.
headcold

Re: Reinstalling my OEM air intake and, of course, I'm missing parts (star_deceiver)

Post by headcold »

Thanks for the junk yard idea. Of course that's easier than trying to source half a dozen different screws
headcold

Post by headcold »

I found a pair of junked matrixes locally, but they were missing their entire front ends. Luckily, on one of them I found where someone had ripped out the air intake box and left the bolts attached to the body, so I scored those.The others I found or jury rigged.The only one I'm really concerned about is #4, the hose that goes from the top of the engine to the air intake.Right now it just slips into the S-shaped hose, with no way to secure it. Can anyone with an OEM box confirm if there's any hardware other than the rubber hoses meeting and having a friction connection?How else would I ensure that the hose doesn't slip out while driving?
keithvibe

Re: (headcold)

Post by keithvibe »

There should be a small spring clamp just like the one on the engine side. You can use any hose clamp really.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
headcold

Post by headcold »

I'm not seeing anyting like that. On the engine side, the hose goes over a nozzle and there's a clamp to hold it on. On the air intake side, the hose slips inside the S-shaped hose, and there's no place to put a clamp.
dale321

Re:

Post by dale321 »

headcold wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 pm Nothing specifically. I took my vibe in for a recall on the PCM (http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=45785 ) and ever since it's been riding rough in idle, stalling every now and then and the CEL has been on.The dealership says that this is due to the CAI, and I think that's bull****, but they won't budge on it. They won't look at the car again until I take the CAI off.The big problem is that without getting it fixed, the CEL is preventing me from passing inspection, which got me a ticket, which I can get dismissed if I show proof of inspection.I'm, for now, going to take the easy way and reinstall the oem airbox, pass inspection, then mess around with the CAI again.
yeah the stock snorkel has a firehose looking restricter right near the david hasselhoff (hemholz) resonator .. suposed to stop inrush noise/backfire sound /popping or something .. but it does take what looks like a 1.75" or so and bottle neck to 1.25" or so .. limiting your launch speed or passing time, etc - air volume , ... its not really a performance car ... i am monitoring mpg using torque or scanguage ... to see how it is affected with snorkel off ..
dale321

Re: Reinstalling my OEM air intake and, of course, I'm missing parts

Post by dale321 »

it does consume more fuel with more air coming in ..
and should produce more torque ..
was seeing up to maybe 3 gph consumption on a heavy accel.
Think I saw 3.6 after snorkel removal , not pushing too hard ..
so yeah, your fun factor can go up , and so will a little hit in the wallet but if u just sit and idle and cruise it should be the same mpg ... it might be better if the trim is a little leaner .. if u have warmer air coming in , then that might offset the increase in volume .. warmer air could give better mpg ... there is a volumetric efficiency guage that goes up with rpm ... still trying to find the mpg sweet spot .. dont have enough long flat road to find it yet ...