Roof Rack on 09 Base

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Infinity-x

Roof Rack on 09 Base

Post by Infinity-x »

Fellower Vibers!! I am sorry if this has already been covered (I'm sure it has, but I am not good at working forum search functions).. ANYWAYS. I have an 09 Vibe base model 2.4 and it does not come with cross bars.. however it DOES come with some sort of black rubber molding on each side of the roof that spans from the rear of the car to the front. If I wanted to purchase something like such :Is there a way that would fit into this "rubber molding" ?? Or how would I even go about doing this.. I am trying to stay away from 2 scenarios:1. Having to buy OEM crossbars from GM2. Having to buy "Universal" products that use a strap under the windowsTHANKS!!
trb

Re: Roof Rack on 09 Base (Infinity-x)

Post by trb »

I don't know exactly how that one would mount, but I doubt it would fit in the factory mounting locations. I would just get a Toyota Matrix rack from ebay for $250, or search for a rack from an AWD Vibe at the salvage yards. That way you know it will fit right and look good. More info in this thread I found for someone else:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=46082
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
SnowFish

Re: Roof Rack on 09 Base (Infinity-x)

Post by SnowFish »

Dealer wanted $528.00 for the OE racks. Little too salty for my taste.I should be getting the Toyota Matrix rack($250), for our 2010 Vibe, next week. I'll post some pics when installed.
SnowFish

Re: Roof Rack on 09 Base

Post by SnowFish »

I must say, the Toyota Matrix roof rack is really nice. Original equipment fix & finish. A whole E-Bay $250.00 is well worth it.

Here's the install. First remove the plug in the roof channels.

Next remove the bolts that hold the clips underneath.

The clips may give you a wrestle, so a gentle pry, with a screw driver, may be in order.

It will more than likely be dirty in the channel.

Clean it good so the double stick rail pads will adhere properly.

That's better! Next install the rail pads.

The supplied rail bolts have a nice coat of LocTite already applied.

Loose fit the rails and install bolts hand tight.

Then bring up to torque gradually. Final torque is 24ftlbs if I remember correctly.

But please double check the instructions for the exact torque. Sometimes my memory is not so good. :lol:

Next install the hardware covers.

Note that the Cross Bars are directional and front to back specific.

The Rails have recesses for the Cross Bar Clips to engage.

The Matrix Racks come with a slick little torque wrench.

I guess they want to make sure that we torque them to 9nm.

Before torquing, be sure the Cross Bar Clips are Centered in the Rail recesses.

And there ya' go!

Nice clean OE install!

Ready for your favorite bicycle tray or what ever else that you have in mind.

With the bike tray mounted as shown, the rear hatch should not be opened. Hate to scuff up the paint. :( They can be mounted in reverse, but looked weird in my opinion. :roll: We just access the cargo area through the back door. ;)

For those that need a roof rack, I feel this is the route to go. I've never liked the look, non-aerodynamicness, or clippy this & strap that, of the Thule's, Yakima's, or Saris racks.

Ride On!
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

Wow great and very detailed write up!! I appreciate it :D

And I think the Matrix roof racks look better than the Vibe ones.. nice job!
vit

Post by vit »

Looks good!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The Matrix OEM rack most definitely looks a lot better then the Vibe OEM rack!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

Well, that's funny, I am about to buy a second hand 2009 Matrix roof rack and I wanted to see if there were any rack threads before creating a new one, and BAM! I fell on it right away! Top thread of the section! Plus, there is a superb tutorial on how to install it! Thanks SnowFish!!

>> So, these oem racks are really selling for 500$ +++ at the GM dealer??? I'll be buying TOYOTA MATRIX 09 used. What prices should I expect for a used rack if I don't want to be ripped off?

>> Does anyone knows if the side rails have some kind of rubber pads in order to protect the paint? Because I don't want the rack to ruin the roof paint as I probably won't leave the rack installed 365 days a year... I'll just install it when needed, which might be not very often... Probably only for the summer vacations and special times when I'll need to move big things that won't fit properly in the cargo area... Most of the time, it will be off the roof.

>> Also, if I don't have any torque wrench of any kind, can it be installed anyways without any problems?

Thanks a looooot !!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

J_TO_ENVY wrote:The Matrix OEM rack most definitely looks a lot better then the Vibe OEM rack!

x2 :arrow: thumbs up, thumbs up (where did our thumbs up emoticon go :?: ) Very sleek & clean looking and BLACK instead of the satin silver look. Don't exactly need one just yet BUT if/when I do, this will be the choice I go with ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

alex_nrv wrote: >> So, these oem racks are really selling for 500$ +++ at the GM dealer??? I'll be buying TOYOTA MATRIX 09 used. What prices should I expect for a used rack if I don't want to be ripped off?
Since the Matrix racks are going new on ebay for about $250, I would think $150-175 for a used one would be fair. Especially if it is missing the torque wrench!
>> Also, if I don't have any torque wrench of any kind, can it be installed anyways without any problems?

Thanks a looooot !!
Sure, just get them tight enough so they don't come loose, but not so tight you have trouble removing the bolts. Maybe SnowFish can let us know the torque specs so you have an idea.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

trb wrote:
alex_nrv wrote: >> So, these oem racks are really selling for 500$ +++ at the GM dealer??? I'll be buying TOYOTA MATRIX 09 used. What prices should I expect for a used rack if I don't want to be ripped off?
Since the Matrix racks are going new on ebay for about $250, I would think $150-175 for a used one would be fair. Especially if it is missing the torque wrench!

Thanks a looooot !!
Sure, just get them tight enough so they don't come loose, but not so tight you have trouble removing the bolts. Maybe SnowFish can let us know the torque specs so you have an idea.
The installation seems to be pretty straightforward, relatively fast and easy. Probably as fast as installing the Thule on my GF's Mazda (which is easy and fast).
I just hope the Maxtrix rack has rubber pads in between the tracks and the roof... Actually, It looks like it does on the tutorial photos... let's just hope while I get a confirmation from SnowFish!
I can get the rack at 120$. There again, let's hope everything is in order, not broken, nor missing a rubber pad or screw.
SnowFish

Post by SnowFish »

Careful mounting the top rails. 32.0 Nm isn't that much. That translates to 23.6ftlbs. I went 24ftlbs. Doesn't take much to make it "click". Strip 'em and it will be a major "oh crap" moment.

Cross Rails, the allen wrench ones, are 9Nm, which is 6.6ftlbs, or 79.2 inch lbs.

We're not torquing down a head, but I still like to bring it up to spec gradually. My early observations is that you will not be disappointed with the Matrix rack.
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

SnowFish wrote:Careful mounting the top rails. 32.0 Nm isn't that much. That translates to 23.6ftlbs. I went 24ftlbs. Doesn't take much to make it "click". Strip 'em and it will be a major "oh crap" moment.

Cross Rails, the allen wrench ones, are 9Nm, which is 6.6ftlbs, or 79.2 inch lbs.

We're not torquing down a head, but I still like to bring it up to spec gradually. My early observations is that you will not be disappointed with the Matrix rack.
I have NO clue what 24 ftlbs is... I have no tools of any kind for measuring the torque, so even by "feeling", I don't get what this measurement is. I always tighten by hand... I tighten until there is resistance, then I give it a little extra "nudge". I will also be putting some LocTite to be sure it will stay well tighten.Since the rack will be second hand, chances are there won't have much LocTite still in the threads of the bolts.
Are the bars that fragile? Which is the most fragile? Rail or cross bars?

Oh, you forgot to mention about the rubber pads under the rails to protect the roof; is there any protection? Does it look like I can install, remove, install, remove the rack without damaging the roof paint?

Thanks!
SnowFish

Post by SnowFish »

There's nice rubber rail pads that come with the rack. No scratching.

If you're going to wrench, you need a torque wrench. Actually two. Foot Pounds & Inch Pounds.

Even these low end ones will take a ton of guess work out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... que+wrench

Less than $50 for the two (1/2" ftlbs & 1/4" inch lbs). Can't afford not to have them.

You'll be amazed at how little, the torque spec is, on a lot of these fasteners. And yes, LocTite is your friend. The Blue Removable works for most applications.
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

SnowFish wrote:There's nice rubber rail pads that come with the rack. No scratching.

If you're going to wrench, you need a torque wrench. Actually two. Foot Pounds & Inch Pounds.

Even these low end ones will take a ton of guess work out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... que+wrench

Less than $50 for the two (1/2" ftlbs & 1/4" inch lbs). Can't afford not to have them.

You'll be amazed at how little, the torque spec is, on a lot of these fasteners. And yes, LocTite is your friend. The Blue Removable works for most applications.
Thanks, that's great guidelines for my upcoming installation!
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

It's done!
Bought the MATRIX 2009 bar kit for 120$ second hand. It REALLY looks better than the chromy one sold by GM for the VIBES.
Installation is straightforward, nothing complicated, no adjustements.

Plus, I thought the bars were already installed originally on the previous owner's car but finally, he bought the bars kit afterward and installed them himself, and he kept everything needed, even the Allen key torque wrench and the oval rubber pads/seals and instructions.

I really, really got lucky to stumble on this sale!

Now I only need to find myself a "burger" cargo or even a "ski" cargo... I'd prefer the latter one, it's shorter in height, being more aerodynamic and reducing air drag.

Thanks again SnowFish!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

alex_nrv wrote:It's done!
Bought the MATRIX 2009 bar kit for 120$ second hand.

You got a STEAL of a deal :P I hope if I ever need one that I too will find a deal as you did. That truly looks classy on the 09-10 Vibe and appears to be functional also. Enjoy ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

tpollauf wrote:
alex_nrv wrote:It's done!
Bought the MATRIX 2009 bar kit for 120$ second hand.

You got a STEAL of a deal :P I hope if I ever need one that I too will find a deal as you did. That truly looks classy on the 09-10 Vibe and appears to be functional also. Enjoy ;)
What's funny, the night I fell on the ad for the rack, I didn't knew the true value of this rack, and I tried to bargain for 100$... but the price was firm, non negociable. Then, when I came here, I learned the retail price is 250$... and over 500$ for the GM oem rack... So I told the seller to keep it for me, that I would take it without an hesitation if there was nothing missing and everything was in good shape. So I got the rack half price, used but in really good shape.

Glad I fell unintentionally on a Matrix rack for sale without knowing first it looked better. I never really liked the Vibe silverish rack, but I thought that was the only available. Silver doesn'T really fit with the car, which has a black and uni-color theme (mine is metallic red)... only the original wheels are silver, but still the rack doesn'T match the wheels.

I installed the rack completely, I probably will be using it next week since I have my first long trip from Montreal to New-Brunwsick (10+ hours drive) and might try to find a "burger" in the meantime. But if I want, I can use the Allen key that I'll keep in the car, and remove the transversal bars, but keep the side rails. The side rails alone looks good, it gives some shape to the top. You can'T even tell that the rails are an add-on, they blend very well. And if I really don't need the rack at all, I just remove the bolts and put the original plastic caps, et voilà.
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

I found a lot of used roof cargo boxes, but I think I'll have to do some adjustments to them...
Right now, the KARRITE VOYAGER is the most common that has a low resell price, but the distance between the center of the front attachment and the center of the back one is something like 23 inches... but when I calculate from the center of my front roof bar to the center of the back one, I get 27 inches... So, I get an offset of 2 inches at each anchor points... I won't be able to attach the cargo using the original holes for the provided U-Bolts... I probably will have to drill new holes in the floor of the cargo, and patch the old ones so water won't come in.

The downside of oem bars is that you cannot adjust the distance between the 2 bars, and I don't think the car dealers really care about a "certain standard"... they just go with what looks the best on the roof of the car.
xenictime

Post by xenictime »

Thanks again to Snowfish for the photographs. Finally put the Toyota kit on. Only way to go. Quick and easy and it looks great. Ready for action.
Familyman

Post by Familyman »

Obviously I’m late to this. But my 09 vibe(base 4dr model) has the silver crossbars (I think they’re factory installed) already installed. I’m now looking for a bike rack for them for three bikes up there. Any suggestions for inexpensive racks? One kids bike and two adult bikes. Prefer to be able to open hatch. Don’t care what it looks like in terms of aerodynamics. Thanks!!
Brett