Ebay bluetooth dongle with cell phone app

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MrHatchWagon

Ebay bluetooth dongle with cell phone app

Post by MrHatchWagon »

I ordered one of those bluetooth dongles that hook up to a car's obd2 port, and lets you see information in real-time, read check engine light codes and such. It syncs to Android phones via an app. It's pretty cool, to say the least, and it looks good. [Picture in signature]I was hesitant to order one from ebay at first, because they're known to just.. not work. I must have gotten lucky, because mine works fine! There's a little bit of lag from when you rev the engine to when the revs gauge goes up (about a second, maybe less), but it's nice nonetheless, and that's what I get for not shelling out 100$ for a good one! It does the job and only cost me 15$ -Oh, and they didn't give me the right password to pair with the device, but a quick internet search fixed that-The gauges that show up are customizable, you can have as few or as many as you want, though supposedly there's less lag with fewer reads at once. There's a ton of data you can monitor (MPG widget, RPM, Volts, throttle position, oil & coolant temps to list a few), but some of them don't work for lack of required sensors. -Edit: there's a pretty good shot of my new head unit there as well! -
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
cythraul

Re: Ebay bluetooth dongle with cell phone app (MrHatchWagon)

Post by cythraul »

got one (two in fact) off ebay also.. an elm327 bluetooth scantool for around 15$ each...works quite well indeed but I have yet to find the ideal pocketpc obd2 tool..now I wish I had enough knowledge to interpret all that data.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
KITT222

Re: Ebay bluetooth dongle with cell phone app (MrHatchWagon)

Post by KITT222 »

I saw those things and keep going back and forth with it. I already have an inhabitant of my OBDII plug, and it does pretty much the same stuff, just one at a time. Also, my phone angers me enough. I don't think it's powerful enough for this. Plus the screen is tiny. But that really is neat. I'll have to see what I end up doing...
MrHatchWagon

Re: Ebay bluetooth dongle with cell phone app

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Hahaha, same for me, it kind of has me wishing my friends would get check engine lights, just so I could decode and reset them! Is that bad?Kitt222, I mostly got mine for the looks, and it's nice to be able to help my friends out if they get any engine woes. If you've got one already, you're probably just as well off and it's probably a bit faster than what I have. The coolest part is having that extra array of gauges on the dashboard, even if that's a bit form-over-function..
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod