Accesssory Oil Pressure Gage?

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
olliesshop

Accesssory Oil Pressure Gage?

Post by olliesshop »

I've been looking for an add-on oil pressure gage for my 2006 AWD Vibe and have been finding it hard to find. Has anyone ever put an accessory oil pressure gage on their car that they would recommend?I've also been looking at the OBD2-based iPhone apps and sensors, which look pretty cool, but I guess OBD2 doesn't track oil pressure ... weird !!!Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks !!!
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
keithvibe

Re: Accesssory Oil Pressure Gage? (olliesshop)

Post by keithvibe »

pressure gauge no, temp guage yes.If you find something or work something out, report back please.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
olliesshop

Post by olliesshop »

OK ... After more research I've found the solution. It consists of a "Kiwi WiFi + iMFD" and an "Oil Pressure Sensor Module". Plus it looks like "DashCommand" is the best software to use for my iPhone.Here are the links:$49.00 - DashCommand - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app...?mt=8$199.99 - Kiwi WiFi + iMFD - http://www.plxdevices.com/datalogger.html (shown at bottom of the page)$129.99 - Oil Pressure Sensor Module - http://www.plxdevices.com/sensormodules.html (shown on right side 2nd from the top)I hope this helps.
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
olliesshop

Post by olliesshop »

One question that I still have, that I asked DashCommand and Rev (the two best softwares) is whether the Oil Pressure gage would automatically be added to the iPhone app or is it even available. Still waiting to hear from them.
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Holyee crap Batman, those are very expensive options.Remember, they only report. No tuning.Also, torque and HP are mathematical calculations.I like ScanGauge. It also gives freeze framed reporting.My 4 cents
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
keithvibe

Re: (Water boy)

Post by keithvibe »

Keep in min the PLX device doesn't include the price of the gauge... those prices are just for the add on modulesthe data logger is 260(logger)+100(module)=360 for just one gaugeor100(module)+80(single gauge)= 180bucks for one gaugethey make great products but are super expensive.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
olliesshop

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by olliesshop »

Yeah ... It's getting to be a lot of money. So I'm thinking of going without Oil pressure. That cuts the cost down from at $400-600 to $200.$50 for DashCommand - http://www.palmerperformance.c...x.php$150 for PLX Kiwi Wifi - http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.htmlStill a big chunk of money, but my Birthday's coming up, so I may ask for them. We'll see. It looks like a good package and still gives a lot of data and I was looking at OBD2 data readers and those go for at least $100 for halfway decent one that links into a laptop. This looks like it can do the OBD2 Code diagnostics too and clear the codes, which is cool. Especially, since I just paid $200 to have the Dealer replace and intake gasket to clear a code. I like to do my own maintenance and this hopefully will pay for itself down the road.Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
olliesshop

Post by olliesshop »

Here's the response I got back from Palmer Performance ...Yes, you can put the iMFD sensors on a dashboard. Its not automatic, youwill need to do it manually, but it can be done. Again yes, DashCommandfor Windows will also work with the Kiwi WiFi and the iMFD. The Kiwi seems to be a rather... unstable... interface. It has been known to have some overheating issues and a few other problems outside the control of our software that make it difficult to connect sometimes. I have personally used a Kiwi before, but I see plenty of users with Kiwi issues. If you do plan on using it with both iPhone and Windows, I would strongly recommend the OBDLink WiFi. Its a good solid interface, and we rarely have users with problems. It also has a USB port for fasterconnections with your laptop (WiFi will work here as well). If you absolutely NEED the oil pressure PID, the Kiwi is the only way to go for iPhone.Time for more research ...
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
olliesshop

Post by olliesshop »

Based on the advice from Palmer Performance (DashCommand) ... My current plan is eventually to get the following:DashCommand for iPhone - http://www.palmerperformance.c...x.phpOBDLink WiFi - http://www.scantool.net/scan-t....htmlAnyone have any experience with these? From what I can find, opinions range from horrible to absolutely wonderful ... so I really don't know what to believe yet.Thanks.
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
keithvibe

Re: (olliesshop)

Post by keithvibe »

I got to ask, what are you goals?I don't see how an OBII product like mentioned would work when the car doesn't have the needed hardware. Still need to add the pressure sensor.Not that I'm aware of anyways.
olliesshop

Post by olliesshop »

My main goals are to have the ability to check and clear engine codes (so I can do my own service) and have some extra gages, since the AWD version doesn't come with that many gages. I think I've given up on the Oil Pressure, due to cost and what I've heard about the Kiwi WiFi not being that dependable compared to the OBDLink WiFi. Still doing research, though.
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

I'm running a scangaugeII. Does just fine IMO.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

+1
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
olliesshop

Post by olliesshop »

My main goals are to have the ability to check and clear engine codes (so I can do my own service) and have some extra gages, since the AWD version doesn't come with that many gages. I think I've given up on the Oil Pressure, due to cost and what I've heard about the Kiwi WiFi not being that dependable compared to the OBDLink WiFi. Still doing research, though.
Tim
2006 AWD Vibe
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

the scanguageII will clear codes. Monitor AIT, water temp, and lots of other things as well.