How-to replace PCV Valve

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ktt88

How-to replace PCV Valve

Post by ktt88 »

After sitting indoors all day during the holidays, I read up about PCV valves and decided to change mine since it has over 150km on it. After searching a bit on genvibe, I thought that the correct replacement FRAM part was FV406, but after removing the old PCV, I saw that the threads were of different size.So I figured that it must be FV407, went back to the parts store and saw that FV407 had larger threads and closely resembled the original, so I went with that.Step 1. Locate and remove hose connecting to PCVStep 2. Using a 7/8'' deep socket, remove old PCVold vs. newStep 3. Apply some anti-seize to threads of new PCV and hand tightenStep 4. Using a 3/4'' deep socket, tighten new PCVStep 5. Reconnect hose to new PCVStep 6. Take it for a test drive
epcIII

Re: How-to replace PCV Valve (ktt88)

Post by epcIII »

I think it's about time I did this too. Thanks for the reminder!
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Very nice write up!!! needs to be added to the index.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I'm surprised it's not metric.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
supervibe

Post by supervibe »

Why change PVC? unless it is giving you issues? not being a Smart A**, But is there a benefit to changing it? power? fuel mileage? or ? Im at 100,000 Should I be changing mine?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thanks for posting. Those are some great pics as well. Last year I pulled the PVC & cleaned it out with some MAF cleaner. Good reminder though !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
hypershrimp

Post by hypershrimp »

I bought a FV407 today. It looks exactly like the one you have, but both the old and the new are not identical. The old one used a 1 inch (i think) socket and the new one used a 3/4 inch socket. While turning it, it didnt seem to fit with the threads as it came out all the time. Did you have the same issue? I didn't want to ruin the threads. I have a 2003 2wd vibe. Thanks.
Tonyk27

Re: (hypershrimp)

Post by Tonyk27 »

You may need FV406
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Nice write up. Probably something I should do.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
jake75

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by jake75 »

Midas will change that for you - only $49.95 plus 3% shop materials.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
zionzr2

Re: How-to replace PCV Valve (keithvibe)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Very nice write up!!! needs to be added to the index.Added!!!
lannvouivre

Re: How-to replace PCV Valve

Post by lannvouivre »

Thanks for posting this! Just got it done today.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Caretaker

Re: How-to replace PCV Valve (2009-2010)

Post by Caretaker »

OK, I read through a bunch of old threads but did not see any information on changing the PCV on the 2009-2010 engine. I went to my local dealer to pick up one for my mechanic to install. GM did not carry one, nor did the local Advantage Auto Parts. I thought that was strange. When I got to my mechanic, he looked it up and told me that the exhaust manifold has to be removed to get to the PCV on the 1.8 liter engine. Holy crap; that's ridiculous. Since I am not getting any CEL, I decided to forget about it and just have him clean out my mass air flow sensor. Having the sensor cleaned definitely improved the slight "rocking" sensation I was getting when the air conditioner was on. The acceleration/deceleration seemed very touchy, but only when the A/C was on. Now that the sensor has been cleaned, that sensation has disappeared, and the car is idling better at a full stop as well. My mechanic didn't charge me anything, but did say that the glass was only slightly dirty. Whatever; obviously spraying and cleaning it with MAF cleaner made a difference that I could notice on the drive home.
What do you all say about the PCV on the second gen? Did Toyota hide the part because it is not to be touched unless it totally fails?
triz

Post by triz »

Get a new mechanic. The PCV sits right on the valve cover. Check the photo posted above.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

triz wrote:Get a new mechanic. The PCV sits right on the valve cover. Check the photo posted above.

uh.........get a new mechanic because ktt88 posted a shot of a 2003-2008 engine where the PCV valve is clearly evident? I don't think so. You see, with my 2009, if I poured oil into the engine on the side shown above, I'd have one hell of a mess on my hands.
triz

Post by triz »

Caretaker wrote:
triz wrote:Get a new mechanic. The PCV sits right on the valve cover. Check the photo posted above.

uh.........get a new mechanic because ktt88 posted a shot of a 2003-2008 engine where the PCV valve is clearly evident? I don't think so. You see, with my 2009, if I poured oil into the engine on the side shown above, I'd have one (removed) of a mess on my hands.
Yep. I'm just an average joe and even I know you don't have to drop the manifold to get to a PCV.

On your,s iirc yours sits on the firewall side, right on the VC.

And if you poured oil on the other side and there was not a hole to pour it in, you need new glasses. :mrgreen:
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, part 12204. UNDER the manifold.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.aspx?c ... 05&ppInfo=(0712-++++" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)JPP
triz

Post by triz »

Caretaker wrote:Yep, part 12204. UNDER the manifold.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.aspx?c ... 05&ppInfo=(0712-++++" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)JPP
Touche...the diagram I have shows passenger side near the firewall on the vc.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... odel=14662

That is interesting. Can you confirm the location on yours by feel?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

All I can confirm is this: after extensive research and determining that numerous posters in the Corolla, Matrix and this forum have failed to get a firm answer on where the PCV is on the 1.8 liter engine for their 2009-2010 vehicle, I found that diagram buried deep in the annals of a single Corolla board. The picture matches my engine exactly. When I queried my mechanic, he confirmed that it is underneath the manifold and that he was not surprised given he has seen even more squirrely places where auto manufacturers have placed their PCVs. He's been in business for well over 30 years so I know he knows what he's talking about when he pulls up his reference sheets on Corolla engines. While I do see two lines running in behind the right side of the manifold as you face the engine, I'm not smart enough to start pulling off hoses just to see if there is a PCV underneath. As you look at today's engines, there are several rubber hoses which look alike that run near or to the air box that have hose clips atop a metal valve underneath. I won't risk trying to figure out which is the PCV and which is the tiger hiding behind the door; I'll lose every time. So, if the PCV is behind the intake manifold, my original question remains; is the PCV in this vehicle meant to be changed out when the check engine light comes on and there is a part failure?
I'm having trouble matching up the diagram you posted to my Corolla engine and figure that it is of the 2.4 Camry engine. It is interesting that up top, it seems to imply that the information provided covers both engines. I find it hard to believe that the PCV is in the same place on a Camry engine and a Corolla engine.
zythr

Post by zythr »

[quote="Caretaker"]All I can confirm is this: after extensive research and determining that numerous posters in the Corolla, Matrix and this forum have failed to get a firm answer on where the PCV is on the 1.8 liter engine for their 2009-2010 vehicle, I found that diagram buried deep in the annals of a single Corolla board. The picture matches my engine exactly. When I queried my mechanic, he confirmed that it is underneath the manifold and that he was not surprised given he has seen even more squirrely places where auto manufacturers have placed their PCVs. He's been in business for well over 30 years so I know he knows what he's talking about when he pulls up his reference sheets on Corolla engines. While I do see two lines running in behind the right side of the manifold as you face the engine, I'm not smart enough to start pulling off hoses just to see if there is a PCV underneath. As you look at today's engines, there are several rubber hoses which look alike that run near or to the air box that have hose clips atop a metal valve underneath. I won't risk trying to figure out which is the PCV and which is the tiger hiding behind the door; I'll lose every time. So, if the PCV is behind the intake manifold, my original question remains; is the PCV in this vehicle meant to be changed

In other words, the PCV is "buried" in 2009-2010 1.8 liter engines?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

according to all the evidence I have found so far, yes. It is just so hard to believe. In my mind, the PCV is a part that should be replaced relatively often. If it turns out that the diagram I posted is correct (it certainly matches the 2ZR engine), and my mechanic is right, and some poster on the Corolla board is right, just don't ask me how to remove all that stuff to get to it.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p390/KITT222/1-8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
triz

Post by triz »

I'll be honest I have seen some hidden PCV's before but never seen one go to the block. That is why I found it odd. I was thinking that possibly he was confusing it for the crank sensor which sits under the manifold. Almost every PCV I have changed has been somewhere on the valve cover. My truck has no PCV (another odd thing for me)

I will make it a personal mission to find someone with a 2009-10 Vibe and check the location. Keep you posted.

You wont hurt anything by feeling for the PCV valve hose if you don't want to remove the plastic engine cover.
zythr

Post by zythr »

triz wrote:I'll be honest I have seen some hidden PCV's before but never seen one go to the block. That is why I found it odd. I was thinking that possibly he was confusing it for the crank sensor which sits under the manifold. Almost every PCV I have changed has been somewhere on the valve cover. My truck has no PCV (another odd thing for me)

I will make it a personal mission to find someone with a 2009-10 Vibe and check the location. Keep you posted.

You wont hurt anything by feeling for the PCV valve hose if you don't want to remove the plastic engine cover.

PCV is at the back of the engine under the intake manifold (I have the Vibe/Matrix, service manual, Haynes), on the 2009-2010 1.8 engine.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

PCV is at the back of the engine under the intake manifold (I have the Vibe/Matrix, service manual, Haynes), on the 2009-2010 1.8 engine.[/quote]

the back of the engine???? If you follow the PCV (part number 12204) and the dashed line, the dashed line does lead to the far side of the rubber hose (part number 12261A No.1). That would seem to indicate that the PCV is closer to the back side.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.aspx?c ... 05&ppInfo=(0712-++++" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is too weird. I'll give you a buck if you can post a picture from an actual 1.8, unless massive amounts of parts have to be removed to get to it. 8-)

Thanks so much (in advance).
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

holy engine tear down Batman!!! What was Toyota thinking??? Look at what I just found on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4iKLYpOg4A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What else should I have my mechanic do while he's taking off my intake manifold just to replace a $10 part?? Thoughts?
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

New intake gasket? May not be needed, but he's in there anyway and it's 10 bucks for a gasket...
Image  Image
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

A toyota engineer needs to be shot!!! Put it behind the manifold is nuts!
Now with that being said the PCV is nothing more than a check valve to allow 1 way air flow. So if the engine back fires it won't send flames into the engine. They are spring loaded and very rarely fail.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
zythr

Post by zythr »

Caretaker wrote:
PCV is at the back of the engine under the intake manifold (I have the Vibe/Matrix, service manual, Haynes), on the 2009-2010 1.8 engine.

the back of the engine???? If you follow the PCV (part number 12204) and the dashed line, the dashed line does lead to the far side of the rubber hose (part number 12261A No.1). That would seem to indicate that the PCV is closer to the back side.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.aspx?c ... 05&ppInfo=(0712-++++" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is too weird. I'll give you a buck if you can post a picture from an actual 1.8, unless massive amounts of parts have to be removed to get to it. 8-)

Thanks so much (in advance).[/quote]

You're welcome. Unfortunately, the manual did not have a photo of the 1.8 and all that would need to be removed to get the PCV (It's a 2003-2011 Vibe Matrix edition).
zythr

Post by zythr »

Salsa Guy wrote:A toyota engineer needs to be shot!!! Put it behind the manifold is nuts!
Now with that being said the PCV is nothing more than a check valve to allow 1 way air flow. So if the engine back fires it won't send flames into the engine. They are spring loaded and very rarely fail.

Well Toyota did add VVT to both intake and exhaust, maybe the extra hoses that the system may require did not leave room for the PCV to be in the valve head/cover.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

No idea on that but a PCV is an overly simple device and could be added anywhere for the most part. It just help send any gases in the engine back through the combustion chamber.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just watched the video linked above, no way I would do that without replacing the intake manifold gasket. They've been a problem in the past, maybe this is just Toyota's way of making you replace the gasket every 60,000 miles.

One more reason I'm glad I bought a 2008.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Wow. Just watched the video and it explained a few things. Couple months ago, out of curiousity I was looking for the pcv valve, not finding it in the traditional place the old engines have them at. Instead, about at the same place is a bracket with vacuum lines splitting off where some of the rerouting took place with the brake boost recall (IIRC). Had me more than a little confused. Shocked at this new location, but at least the video showed that an intake manifold gasket would not be all that difficult to replace. Shocked I tell ya! What a weird location, and dissapointing.
Last edited by 10vibe on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yes, it was a bit disappointing to see the pcv buried, but now I know. On the positive side, it is reassuring that my mechanic is still top notch since he was the one who told me that it was under the manifold in the first place. It is also positive that rayven and mark have provided me advice on replacing the manifold gasket while the pcv is being changed. Thanks for that. When I did some research on the manifold gasket issue, it looks as though the first generation Vibe was the one that had trouble with the intake manifold gasket. Other than "just do it because," is there any issues regarding the gasket on the second generation Vibes?
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

To the best of my knowledge there is not an issue with the 2zr-fe intake gaskets at this point, but only time will tell. I am curious if there is any goop or sealant that would have to be scraped off first or if it is pretty straight forward pull off old gasket, clean a little, and slap another one on.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Just changed the PCV on my 2005 FWD Moon and Tunes, was long overdue. Great step by step above, made video to highlight failed and working PCV. Used Luber Finer part number PCV1112. The connecting hose was in OK condition, will probably replace next oil change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j3s71VUsE

The part number for the PCV hose: W0133-1746428 this seems to be universal for all FWD and AWD 2003-2008 models
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

keithvibe wrote:Very nice write up!!! needs to be added to the index.
so done!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Wow. That's one heck of a place to put it on the newer ones.

I should probably take a look at the one on my 03 since it's easy enough to do.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I found a Fram FV407 for 80 cents on MIlls Fleet Farm's site. Since I was already ordering a better oil drain pan than is available in most stores and paying $7.95 shipping, I ordered it too. It didn't cause the shipping cost to go up any, so heck yeah. :mrgreen:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Emmanue2 wrote:A FV406 is needed to operate. ;)
Did you read the first post?
2003 Vibe Base A/T
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

I used my oxygen sensor socket to remove mine. It fit perfectly and the sensor rotated right out with a 1/4" socket wrench (no extension needed).
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I went to change the PCV valve and found the threads slightly different! I went on the local Toyota dealer's parts website and found that there seems to be two possible PCV valves for the 1Z, since 2Z was only in XRS/GT right?

Emission system, Pcv valve
Matrix, w/o XRS, w/o AWD, Marked 1220422040
EMISSION SYSTEM »Emission system
Toyota › Matrix › 2003-2008
Price:$6.03

Emission system, Pcv valve
Matrix, w/o XRS, w/o AWD, Marked 1220422050
EMISSION SYSTEM »Emission system
Toyota › Matrix › 2003-2008
Price:$6.03

The 050 parts compatibility shows 1Z: http://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-selec ... B001G7U45W

I took a pic of the two valves (below). The first one referenced above (1220422040) is the one my 1Z takes. You can see the "22040" portion of the number in the picture. I wiped off the gunk from the old one and put it back since the "shake test" is ok. Being only $6, I may as well go genuine OEM Toyota for a replacement.

EDIT: I ordered one. $6.60 with tax. Free local pickup at the dealer.

Last edited by BenWA on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I picked up the new one this morning. They have changed the part number slightly, from 12204-22040 to 12204-22041.

On Amazon, it shows it to fit the 2003 Matrix Base, "Stamped #12204-22040": http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compat ... ehicleId=8

Photo of the new one I got: (oh and by the way, it takes a 22mm socket/wrench. 7/8" would work in a pinch, but it's not the correct size)
2003 Vibe Base A/T
RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

A while ago, I bought a PCV valve for my 05 AWD Vibe from Toyota, p/n 12204-22051.

Today after watching Fred Lyst's video, I put it in with some anti-seize on the threads. It threaded in properly and a 19mm deep socket made installation easy.

https://youtu.be/E7j3s71VUsE

Only issue is I lost one of the two plastic clips that hold the engine cover on. :x Part #? Also, where did Fred get that cool red plastic engine cover he has on his Vibe in his video?
2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I can't see much difference putting the two clips or not. Fred must painted the cover with some spray paint.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Mumbledore

Post by Mumbledore »

Any info on the PCV location for the 2.4 l 2AZ-FE? I would imagine a regular PCV maintenance would be particularly beneficial on those since they are known to burn the oil with the bad piston rings and pistons. Also hoping to find it because I’d like to install an oil catch can.
‘09 1.8 liter base (white) - SOLD
‘09 2.4 liter GT 5-speed manual (red-hot metallic)
jolt

Post by jolt »

If you pull the top black plastic engine cover off and look on the back of the valve cover, toward the passager side, you will see the hose that is connected to the PCV valve. The valve is threaded into the valve cover with locking compound on the threads as a sealer. Having the engine up to temp can help soften the thread sealing compound and make removing the PCV valve easier.