Electric supercharger with switch?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
bassrocker032

Electric supercharger with switch?

Post by bassrocker032 »

first a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...57265 Now my question is is this something that would be worth finding out if it works or is it something that is just a ridiculous concept? It's an electric supercharger that also has a switch. I've read up on it but I wanted to see if this was something worth y time or not. Any help?It's only $50 plus they do money back so it wouldn't kill to give it a shot but I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and so on.
2005 Vibe Base 148k milesK&N Air Filter in stock boxCustom Painted interiorCustom Painted Engine BayAftermarket driving lightsMuch more to come http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42124
lovemyraffe

Re: Electric supercharger with switch? (bassrocker032)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I wouldn't even consider it. Who knows what it is going to do to your motor.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

I'm thinking the same thing. The way it works I think is it's constantly forcing more air into the motor which would mean higher idle and so on unless you can use the switch to actually turn it on and off, but the only way I see it working is mounting it directly on the throttle body, then running the hose to stock air box, CAI, or SRI rather than mounting it on the end of the SRI, CAI and so on like in the pics. I don't think it's as much of a super charger as they make it out to be. More like a little electric fan that pushes the air in a little faster. Maybe a small hp gain but I don't think much. Then again, it's also only $50I'm still in between on giving it a shot just to see due to the money back guarantee but I want keith's input on this also. He's fooled around with this kind of stuff alot and he should be pretty heads up on it.
2005 Vibe Base 148k milesK&N Air Filter in stock boxCustom Painted interiorCustom Painted Engine BayAftermarket driving lightsMuch more to come http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42124
lovemyraffe

Re: (bassrocker032)

Post by lovemyraffe »

My guess is that it will cause more than $50 of damage (if it works at all).
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

What all damages could this cause if I did install it? I'm sorry if i'm asking to many questions, just trying to learn. I've also done some research on here saying the ebay things are more or less leaf blowers but has anyone actually bought, and tested it? I'm getting that feeling that it's one of those to full of **** to be true.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I tested out the e-Ram many years ago. It made a bunch of noise, like a vacuum. Didn't sound cool, didn't make any power:
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

Damn, alright. Thank for the help.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Part of my job here on GenVibe is to test all the crap mods so you don't have to...lol (PS - the resistor mod doesn't nothing, so don't try that one either.)
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

I didn't plan on that one. My future mods to come within the next few months are the throttle body spacer, and cosmo CAI. That should give me enough hp increase to hold me over for a while.
millster

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by millster »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Part of my job here on GenVibe is to test all the crap mods so you don't have to...lol (PS - the resistor mod doesn't nothing, so don't try that one either.)Shall we call you the mod Mod, then? Definitely stick with the known stuff, Bassrocker. Start saving up to go with a real turbo or S/C down the road if you want forced induction. Or just remember that if it seems to cheap to be true, it isn't true.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by bassrocker032 »I didn't plan on that one. My future mods to come within the next few months are the throttle body spacer, and cosmo CAI. That should give me enough hp increase to hold me over for a while. Quote »2005 Vibe Base 148k miles2zz Engine swap from 2008 Vibe GT at 147kUm... how did you do that?? How did you put it to your car when they didn't make a 08 2zz? how did you put that in to a 1zz engine bay with out changing out the ecu and various other parts? If you do have the 2zz in the car then you won't have the option of using a throttle body spacer. This also changes your parts availability.I think you need to take a step back and do some reading...Judging from your garage thread... you don't really have a clue what you have or what you are doing... you have a 1zz... I know your new, but gezzzz you need to educate yourself if you plan doing work to your car
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by bassrocker032 »What all damages could this cause if I did install it? I'm sorry if i'm asking to many questions, just trying to learn. I've also done some research on here saying the ebay things are more or less leaf blowers but has anyone actually bought, and tested it? I'm getting that feeling that it's one of those to full of **** to be true. The problem is that nobody knows what damage it could do. There are a lot of these type things that promise huge gains for a minimal investment and they are usually a bunch of b.s.I completely understand that everybody has to start somewhere and I am not trying to make you feel inadequate. I understand that everybody has to start somewhere. I hope that you haven't taken offense to anything I have said.
bassrocker032

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by bassrocker032 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Um... how did you do that?? How did you put it to your car when they didn't make a 08 2zz? how did you put that in to a 1zz engine bay with out changing out the ecu and various other parts? If you do have the 2zz in the car then you won't have the option of using a throttle body spacer. This also changes your parts availability.I think you need to take a step back and do some reading...Judging from your garage thread... you don't really have a clue what you have or what you are doing... you have a 1zz... I know your new, but gezzzz you need to educate yourself if you plan doing work to your carI looked a while back at the side of the engine and it's a 1zz. I was told from the garage that did my engine swap when my stock one crapped out a while back that he took the engine out of an 08 vibe gt. Either way, I didn't pay for the swap so it mattered little to me. I then got on here and I learned that the gt's have a 2zz so I went off what I was told. I now know that they lied to me and my bad on not changing my sig. I don't claim to be a mechanic, so I'm sorry if I don't know all that someone who has owned the car for years when I've had mine 3 months.... I'm still just looking to learn and the best way to learn is trial, error, and questions. I finally start asking questions instead of just doing D.I.Y's and updating my garage and I get flammed. And thanks for the help raffle. You not being offensive or anything, I just don't quite know how to say things on here now since I had people jump down my throat after my last few post when I make understandable misconceptions.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

I'm not flaming you... lol this is a family site... I'm being nice. You need to step back and think about what your posting, do a bit of searching on here, also on matrixowners, newcelica, and 9thgen. There is a lot of useful info on the sites, just takes time to learn. I know your excited to mod your car, I get that. Had you posted this exact thread on 9thgen you would have been flamed, we are all trying to help you learn. If you take some of the comments as flamming from some of us who have seen kids like you who are excited to mod their car, please don't. We just have seen the threads before and are going to be short and to the point.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
bassrocker032

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by bassrocker032 »

Yeah, I understand. Also keep in mind i'm use to clubcivic.com and other civic sites dealing with those types. Still having to adjust a little, lol.And i'm sorry for my misunderstanding. I'm just still new to this car and so of course i'm going to have my slip up's where I think things are what they aren't. Like I said, i'm still adjusting to the nicer pace of this forum. Perfect example of *** holes with civic's, I got called a ricer when here's a pic of my civic. It came with the fender accents and I was told removing them would chip paint from my oh so intelligent brother-in-law so I just left them. I did the interior paint to match my koi fish interior that my wife gave me... (she's still in the learning process of right and wrong things to buy for a car.) But yeah, i don't quite understand how that equals ricer. But i'm used to getting flammed for just posting pics so like I said, still adjusting.
xnick

Post by xnick »

Keep in mind with these "electric superchargers" that they run on electricity that your car is producing. Flash back to highschool where you learned that energy is lost as heat in transfer, and you realize that you cannot create more power for your car from something that is already pulling it's power source from your car.Plus, I would argue that under any load your vacuum is pulling harder than that little fan can blow, even if it's hooked up to a secondary power source.And I, personally, would laugh at your civic and call it rice, but to each his own.
129CBRider

Post by 129CBRider »

I did one on my 1992 Silverado that had a 305cu.in. v8 in it and it only added 2 pounds of boost but made enough difference that if I was stuck in mud I could spin all four wheels where without it I couldn't. Honda experimented with it to eliminate the hp loss from the engine having to suck air, simply makes it a positive flow intake. Probably only about 450 cubic feet per minute max from electric one.
Beware of frosty fall mornings and mountain roads. Mods: Strut bar, Typhoon air intake, 8x16 mag rims, 225/45 rubber, trailer hitch.
glennpert

Re: Electric supercharger with switch? (bassrocker032)

Post by glennpert »

i actually bought a more high quality version of this. It cost around 300$. It produced about 2.5 lbs of boost in each gear, so you can def feel it. It was a little bizarre how it worked. You could flip the switch in each gear and get the benefit. To be perfectly honest i felt like a liitle kid with a new toy and it got old really fast.