low speed blower squeak chirp

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
campb292

low speed blower squeak chirp

Post by campb292 »

My 2006 vibe has been making annoying chirp / squeak noises with the blower on low and next lowest settings. It happens on AC and heat. It has done this for over a year. Turning the blower off stops the noise, as does increasing to high or highest on the blower. I checked the cabin filter and cleaned around there, though there was not much to clean. I did searches for this and only found one post dealing with chirping blower noise and it was a 3 post no-resolution thread. Thanks for any info or help in advance.
star_deceiver

Re: low speed blower squeak chirp (campb292)

Post by star_deceiver »

Sounds like a bad bearing in the motor! You could try pulling it apart and oiling it!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Zimm

Re: low speed blower squeak chirp (star_deceiver)

Post by Zimm »

+1 on the bad bearing on the blower motor. had the same problem in my old truck. when i could stand it no more, i replaced it with a $15 motor from the local parts store and it was good as new, although the tone of the air blown by the fan did change a bit. no the volume, but it became higher pitched, which bugged me until i got used to it.relatively easy job, little mechanical skills needed, but it was in a horrible spot for replacing-it was really only made to be built, never serviced. haven't checked the vibe's blower location, but i hope it is more convenient than my truck's was.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

campb292, did you ever get anywhere with this? Your description sounds exactly like what's happening with my '08 and my wife's '07.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
KNINE

Re: low speed blower squeak chirp (campb292)

Post by KNINE »

My '06 did that all winter. I was going to replace the motor in the Spring, but the noise stopped on its own. I probabaly just jinxed myself and it will start again.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

Yesterday I pulled the blower motor out and shook a few leaves out of it. I also took it apart, and used a little tri-flow lube to see if I could stop the squeaking.So far so good, but I've only driven it about 10 minutes. We'll see in the coming weeks how it holds up.
BadBrew

Re: (ClunkClunk)

Post by BadBrew »

Quote, originally posted by ClunkClunk »Yesterday I pulled the blower motor out and shook a few leaves out of it. I also took it apart, and used a little tri-flow lube to see if I could stop the squeaking.So far so good, but I've only driven it about 10 minutes. We'll see in the coming weeks how it holds up.How did you get to the bearings? Last time I checked for debris within the blower wheel, I could not find any bolt or screw holding it... So you just pull the wheel off?? I tried to lightly pull but I didn't want to break it
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

BadBrew, no luck on the fix. It lasted a few days, then started squeaking/squealing again. I think I'm going to try one more time, then order a non OEM one from RockAuto (about $40).
BadBrew

Re: (ClunkClunk)

Post by BadBrew »

Quote, originally posted by ClunkClunk »BadBrew, no luck on the fix. It lasted a few days, then started squeaking/squealing again. I think I'm going to try one more time, then order a non OEM one from RockAuto (about $40).Exactly what I finally did, I received my new TYC part this week for 35$ + shipping. I ordered it from Ebay.Here's a few comparison pics I took today for further reference:
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

Me too! I got mine from Amazon for $41 + free shipping.I installed it this weekend. It has a bit more motor noise than the old GM/Toyota blower, but it doesn't have that infernal squeak/squeal.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

So I've been using the TYC blower for about a month now. It's been fine.A bit more motor noise than the factory blower, particularly at low speeds, but no chirp/squeak/squeal at all, and at $41, I can't complain about the price. I'm a happy camper again.
dannyboy

Re: low speed blower squeak chirp

Post by dannyboy »

Sorry to revive an old post but my '06 vibe has been doing this for about the last year or so, I've tried pulling the blower fan apart and oiling the bearings but it only serves a temporary fix. Is it my understanding the only fix is to order a replacement fan? Also any feedback from those who did end up replacing it? Thanks!
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
trb

Post by trb »

I replaced my son's blower motor last year with one from ebay and it is still working OK.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do then.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage