Supercharged 2zzge is possible

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
jarmstrong22

Supercharged 2zzge is possible

Post by jarmstrong22 »

For anyone still wondering if you can supercharge the 2zzge, well you can. I have done it to my 03 vibe gt. The kit that is on the car is the Greddy kit that is designed for the Celica GTS. The kit comes with the supercharger, 4 440cc injectors and the e manage ultimate piggy back computer, as well as a serpentine belt and tensioner. The car makes 175 at the wheels and 200 at the crank but I have a stock exhaust just a Solo muffler and no custom header.The car is tuned but not maxed out though I'm figuring I'm running about 6 to 8 lbs of boost.Anyone that wants to do this must contact JRP in Mississagua, Ontario or call Greddy direct. I put an ACT clutch in and have KVR pads and rotors for the front.Overall the car pulls very well from 4000 rpm and up but has a miss fire on exceleration.The price Canadian for the kit was $5,400 plus labour wich was another 3,800 so if you have the money go for it, it's worth it for the fun factor other wise just get a chip or piggy back of another make. I find that the ECU is very tempermental and always wants to relearn in the beginning. Also to have the supercharger fit you need to get an aftermarket rad and fan shroud because the stock one does not have enough clearance. I have a Mishimoto RX7 rad and Mishimoto fan shroud hooked up and a greddy catch can for the resevoir.Overall the engine has been reliable, I have had the kit on since August and have only had the serpentine belt slip off and then get replaced, the belt does not have much clearance and tends to rub on the bottom of the belt sometimes.Any questions about the install feel free to ask.Oh I am going to post pictures of the install ASAP [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Attached files
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

welcome!Love to see pics! not to rain on the parade but yeah some matrix 2zz was turbo'd by the greddy kit some years back.
keithvibe

Re:

Post by keithvibe »

he might be the first vibe owner... but not the first to sc a 2zz... evilthorn has had his greddy charged now for over 3years
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
jarmstrong22

Re: (northvibe)

Post by jarmstrong22 »

I haven't scene that but I know that alot of Celica gts owners have done the SC kit and can make good power. SCC did a matrix turbo install on a XRS Matrix a few years ago and got 237 hp at the wheels. I would like to get that out of mine but not sure if that's possible with a supercharger.
jarmstrong22

Re: (jarmstrong22)

Post by jarmstrong22 »

The kit is for the Celica GTS so I guess that's the main install for the SC. YouTube has many videos of this on the GTS. I know I'm not the first to try this. I'm hoping other vibe owners have done the SC install but not sure because Greddy didn't make that many kits and I'm not sure that you can get the kit. The guy at JRP said I got the last one, who knows.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

wow my bad...where did I mistake a turbo for a SC!
mac99d

Re: (northvibe)

Post by mac99d »

Pics man! That is cool. I would love to feel how a SC vibe pulls.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jarmstrong22

Re: Supercharged 2zzge is possible (jarmstrong22)

Post by jarmstrong22 »

hey has anyone scene the pic that I posted yet of the SC install just curious.
knighttony13

Re: Supercharged 2zzge is possible

Post by knighttony13 »

that's awesome to see! unlike the over rated turbo'd b16 from the honda. hey mate, i've seen that you have a thick radiator. is that a 2 row or a 3? planning to have one. I've seen in the net and it shows the dismantling and assembling of the shroud. I'm planning to DIY. lol!
Last edited by knighttony13 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

i like the sound of the blitz supercharger better on the 2zz's. not many can make good power out of a supercharger though. most just go turbo and the power levels are a dramatic difference between the boost rising from a turbo from the immediate boost from a supercharger.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I think jarmstrong22 has moved on. The last time they were on here was May 18, 2010, which was over two years ago. ;)
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

jarmstrong22 wrote:For anyone still wondering if you can supercharge the 2zzge, well you can. I have done it to my 03 vibe gt. The kit that is on the car is the Greddy kit that is designed for the Celica GTS. The kit comes with the supercharger, 4 440cc injectors and the e manage ultimate piggy back computer, as well as a serpentine belt and tensioner. The car makes 175 at the wheels and 200 at the crank but I have a stock exhaust just a Solo muffler and no custom header.The car is tuned but not maxed out though I'm figuring I'm running about 6 to 8 lbs of boost.Anyone that wants to do this must contact JRP in Mississagua, Ontario or call Greddy direct. I put an ACT clutch in and have KVR pads and rotors for the front.Overall the car pulls very well from 4000 rpm and up but has a miss fire on exceleration.The price Canadian for the kit was $5,400 plus labour wich was another 3,800 so if you have the money go for it, it's worth it for the fun factor other wise just get a chip or piggy back of another make. I find that the ECU is very tempermental and always wants to relearn in the beginning. Also to have the supercharger fit you need to get an aftermarket rad and fan shroud because the stock one does not have enough clearance. I have a Mishimoto RX7 rad and Mishimoto fan shroud hooked up and a greddy catch can for the resevoir.Overall the engine has been reliable, I have had the kit on since August and have only had the serpentine belt slip off and then get replaced, the belt does not have much clearance and tends to rub on the bottom of the belt sometimes.Any questions about the install feel free to ask.Oh I am going to post pictures of the install ASAP

Attached files

I'm looking into supercharging my 2003 GT. Just a few questions:

- Did you need to have the alternator remounted to fit the SC?
- How is the fitment of the new radiator? Are there many custom brackets required?
- Any issues with reliability?
- How's the fuel economy?
- Maximum boost you're comfortable running?
- Ease of reprogramming the piggyback?

I'm in Onterrible too, Barrie. I'd love to take a look at it and see what I'd be getting myself into!
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
- Greddy E-Manage Piggyback
- Custom Axle-back Exhaust
- KW Suspensions Lowering Springs
- FUCKING STICKERS EVERYWHERE
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

This should answer most of your questions. And I think they will offer the new AEM EMS-4 with it also. When I had a TRD SC on mine the MPGs suffered slightly maybe 1 MPGs driving it nice. But if you are boosting it a lot they will suffer 3 - 4 MPGs

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... cts_id=600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

Salsa Guy wrote:This should answer most of your questions. And I think they will offer the new AEM EMS-4 with it also. When I had a TRD SC on mine the MPGs suffered slightly maybe 1 MPGs driving it nice. But if you are boosting it a lot they will suffer 3 - 4 MPGs

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... cts_id=600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been scoping out the MWR pages in regards to that SC for some time now. Looks rather straight forward lol.

Well, adding the SC will increase my MPG. I've got a short ram intake on it with no ECU tune so it's just running rich as hell.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The SC will Hurt your MPGs. It draws power off the engine. A Turbo may help a bit. But ether on of these will will hurt the MPGs if you run in Boost all the time.
Also a SRI/CAI should not cause the engine to run rich or lean unless you install them wrong.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

Salsa Guy wrote:The SC will Hurt your MPGs. It draws power off the engine. A Turbo may help a bit. But ether on of these will will hurt the MPGs if you run in Boost all the time.
Also a SRI/CAI should not cause the engine to run rich or lean unless you install them wrong.
I understand how forced induction works, it was a quip at how poor my economy is since installing my short ram. And yes a short ram will decrease milage given that there is no tune and the MAF is a greater distance from the throttle body.

But I digress, just wanted a few questions answered.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well the the SRI or CAI shouldn't hurt your MPGs. The O2 sensor has the final say on the fuel trims. That is why these stupid GF Chips don't work on these cars. The ECU reads the O2 and adjusts the fuel NOT based upon the MAF (although it's uses that after an ECU reset, stft) but based upon the O2 (ltft). Normally an SRI or CAI will improve MPGs because the air flow easier into the into the engine. Perhaps your are driving it harder, or maybe the filter is plugged.

Running a SC will hurt your MPGs!

EDIT: You'd be the first person I've heard of that is running rich on a SRI/CAI. Normally everyone has issues with it running lean because it's installed wrong.