Pulleys, belts, and shims - oh my!

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Petrucci914

Pulleys, belts, and shims - oh my!

Post by Petrucci914 »

1. No shims =Belt basically jumps the supercharger pulley2. 1 Shim = Belt rubs on supercharger pulley and idler pulley3. 2 shims =Belt perfect on supercharger pulley, 1/100" from rubbing on idler pulleyWTF?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kevera

Re: Pulleys, belts, and shims - oh my! (Petrucci914)

Post by kevera »

ahahahaha,gatorback right???
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

gatorback FTL on a supercharged vibe
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Petrucci914

Re: Pulleys, belts, and shims - oh my! (keithvibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Nope. This is the genuine Gayco Belt. Anything else that could be adjusted?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kevera

Post by kevera »

Is it brand new??Cuz you may have a bad belt,check the ribs on belt.Oh I almost forgot,you got a new idler,did it come with instructions.
Petrucci914

Re: Pulleys, belts, and shims - oh my! (kevera)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »Is it brand new??Cuz you may have a bad belt,check the ribs on belt.Oh I almost forgot,you got a new idler,did it come with instructions.Belt is brand new. I don't think it's bad. It tracks will on the alternator and SC pulley, which are both the ribbed pulleys.The idler didn't come with instructions. We flipped it around, as one side is 1/16" deeper than the other. I'm not really getting any rubbing, but it's too close for comfort. Not sure what else to do.
kevera

Post by kevera »

That's the problem I had.Got another belt,problem solved.But now it squeals when it's damp out.You never win.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Damn things aren't cheap.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I'm going to put the stock belt back on next weekend.Looking between the GatorBack, Dayco, and TRD Dayco, there are HUGE differences in the way it tracks.1. Gatorback =Has a bunch of rubber 'teeth"2. Dayco =Has the 4 channels needs for Supercharger and Alternator tracking, but also has horizontal breaks in these channels.3. TRD Dayco (Stock) =Strictly has the deep 4 channels. I'm confident it'll work the best.The manual clearly states:It is recommended that when replacing the belt to use the TRD supercharger belt. In emergency situations the following can be used.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Hold on,There are 2 kinds of dayco belts,as I found out.The dayco part # with the deep channels is 6pkv2160I was told when I was buying my dayco,they made a gatorback type belt for a bit.Try adding the second thickest set of shims(both) on and see how the belt tracks afterwards.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Damn.Who'd have thought there were 2 different models? I definitely have the 'GatorBack style.'I'll try that this weekend, although I'll probably use the stock belt, as I've just spent about $50 for belts that I can no longer re-use.Rabble!
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I have one shim on in the idler pulley and no issues, no squeeling either...knock on wood.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Petrucci914

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »I have one shim on in the idler pulley and no issues, no squeeling either...knock on wood.What belt are you running?
Celtic_Curse

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »What belt are you running?The TRD Factory one that came in the S/C box.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Got the stock belt on. It's not touching or chirping, but it is close. I took one shim off and it looked perfect everywhere. Tugged on the throttle cable a bit and it wants to jump the SC pulley. Makes no sense......but oh well.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Everything is fine now......except for when it's cold out and the car has been sitting outside for a long time. If I start it then, the pulley will jump a few times and then settle down. Annoying.......
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Are you sure its not the tensioner keeping the belt tight?
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Tensioner was just replaced.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I saw that in your other post. But it could still be the tensioner not keeping the belt tight so as to avoid jumping. When I had to move mine for my belt it took arms tugging to get that thing to release tension. Has it stopped jumping?