Rant about Car Washes

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
engineertwin2

Rant about Car Washes

Post by engineertwin2 »

Ok Whelan, forgive me, but...Over lunch, I took my car to a local carwash. I don't mind letting them do it every now and then if it's just a basic wash because it saves me time. Like now when I'm swamped with work and have no time to think abobut anything else.Why is it that at these places, they always, ALWAYS feature the upsell? I washed and waxed my car two weekends ago. Spent 8 hrs washing and detailing the thing and you get some kid repeating the same mantra "looks like you haven't waxed it in months"...I politely decline.Then he tries to sell me on a Teflon paint sealant "that is so slick, because that's what Teflon is is slick, that all those rock chips on your hood could've been prevented because they would've slid off like an ice skate on ice"...Are you F'ing kidding me!?!?! Ok, I'll breathe...I just get tired of the upsell anymore. Why can't I ask for the middle of the line car wash and a nice big "no problem, thanks". I know it is a pointless rant, but I would really like to hear that there is someone out there who doesn't go through this -- and still takes his/her car to the carwash.Is it just me or is the upsell being pushed at an all time high?
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
Whelan

Re: Rant about Car Washes (engineertwin2)

Post by Whelan »

Would love to vouch on this but I have not been to a carwash like that in years. The onyl kind I go to are the self service bays with my own sponge regardless of what they say. Or I use the no touch where they soap it and let it soak. Other than that, no dirty brushes swirling my car to all heck. Then offering a quick qax that looks good for 24 hours.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
irishroach77

Re: Rant about Car Washes (Whelan)

Post by irishroach77 »

Car washes in general can suck pretty bad. Half the car washes i have been to have dirty water so you end up washing your car when you get home again anyway. If you find a good car wash stick with it i guess. But nothing beats the good old washing the car at home feeling, unless your living in an apartment complex were people stare at you wondering why your in the middle of the parking lot with a water hose
03 vibe base modelK&N cold air intakeMagnaflow cat back exhaustCamconNeon incab displaycarbon fiber filmed door trimBridgestone Potenza G019 Grid
DarkSpork

Post by DarkSpork »

I avoid those places mainly because I always feel like they are expecting me to tip even though they did a mediocre job. I have no idea how much to tip for a car wash.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

the upsell is everywhere. from the grocery store and their special buy at the register, or to the mall where they are offering a credit card.i wish i had the time to carefully wash and etc, but i don't. i'll take mine in to be washed (i'm sorry whelan!) i never tip. i don't get the point of tipping there. all you did was dry my car at the end. forget that.(if it's off topic i'll delete this, but i feel it pertains to topic at hand) but starting next spring i'm going to make the time. whelan, i'm having some troubles with my windshield. if it gets a little fogged up or damp from dew and i use the wipers to remove the water, i see some bad wiping and spots on it. if it is very wet or unfogged i don't see it. there are some big ones at the spots where the wipers reverse direction, on the left side of the window and in the middle. any ideas what i can do? i think the car might have and rainx on before i got it, but not exactly sure. i never applied it. also remains if i take it in to be washed or if i wash it my self.
None. Vibe is gone.
irishroach77

Re: Rant about Car Washes (tribalman)

Post by irishroach77 »

yeah to much rainex can do that. I accidently went a little over on the rainex once it sucked but it eventually went away.
03 vibe base modelK&N cold air intakeMagnaflow cat back exhaustCamconNeon incab displaycarbon fiber filmed door trimBridgestone Potenza G019 Grid
Whelan

Re: Rant about Car Washes (irishroach77)

Post by Whelan »

I've never used Rain X (except for the wipers) or Invisible Glass. Nothing works better for me than a good pair of wipers and a good cleaning. Try using some foaming glass cleaner and some 000 (triple zero) steel wool. Spray on, rube the wool as if it was a towel, then remove the excess and dry with a towel. Keep shaking the towel to remove any left over wool pieces.Sometimes over a period, glass can become etched with stains, pits, and other elements from inudstrial fallout and acid rain. Hence I have zero deductible glass coverage so I can put a claim in for a new window or windshield whenever and it costs me nothing out of pocket and does not go against my policy as a hit for raised rates.Also invest in some of those new wipers with the flex bar instead of the metal hinges, they work a million times better.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT