2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
trb

2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking

Post by trb »

Hey guys,Before I run my son's car to the dealer and waste a day waiting on it, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. We've had his car for 2 weeks and we've noticed it usually takes a second turn of the key to start the car, especially when cold. On the first turn it cranks for a couple of seconds and you think it has started so you release the key, but it has not started. On the second turn it cranks a second or two and starts right up like I would expect it to. When I've started it after stopping for a few minutes or so it seems to start a bit quicker on the first turn of the key. If you just keep the key turned the first time, it will start after 3 seconds or so.It is a 2006 base model with about 7,100 miles on it. It kind of acts like our old minivan did when the check valve on the fuel pump failed. The pump had to totally repressurize the fuel system and it took several seconds to start it when left overnight. A new fuel pump under warranty solved that problem. Maybe I'm just spoiled with our other vehicles that start a second or so after turning the key 90% of the time, but I don't want to just live with it if there is a problem.Any ideas or experiences?Thanks!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

the battery in this car is pretty dang weak. My car would do that in the winter well, it would take a couple cranks then turn over. with a new battery it was much faster. Since it is a little old with such low miles you could check the spark plugs too.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

The 05-06+ Vibe batteries were larger then the 03-04's per GM's changing it. Well at any rate the battery is the starting point. You can have it tested and make sure the cables are clean and tight. Yes it could be a fuel issue...To start cheaply, I would also add a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, the concentrated formula to your tank. Add it first and then fuel it up. If these two things do not help then it may be something else.
joatmon

Re: 2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking (trb)

Post by joatmon »

The fuel pump should pump up the line when the key is in the run position, so you could try turning the key to run, wait a few seconds, and then give it the extra twist to engage the starter. If that has an effect, then it might be the fuel pressure bleeding off causing the delayed start. If it has no effect, then I'd think that pressure bleeding off is probably not the problem. If the engine turns over fine but just doesn't start right away, I wouldn't suspect the battery.There is a similar problem, sometimes referred to here as the "hot soak" problem, where people have had some trouble or delay in starting the car, but that was when it was already warmed up. Here is one thread about that problem http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=20634 but since yours is a problem only when cold, it might be unrelated.
northvibe

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »The 05-06+ Vibe batteries were larger then the 03-04's per GM's changing it. ah didnt know that!Joat - good tip too
prathman

Re: 2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking (joatmon)

Post by prathman »

+2 on Joatmon's suggestions.Neither of our two '06 Vibes has the starting problem described, so it's definitely not a normal condition.
trb

Re: 2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking (prathman)

Post by trb »

Thanks guys. I read about the heat soak and battery issues (I searched first! :D ) and they don't seem to fit my circumstances. It's not a slow crank, it just cranks for a few seconds before it catches.I'll try to prime the fuel pump first, and run some cleaner through the tank on the next fillup. The dealer filled it up and we have just now dipped below 1/2 tank in about 180 miles of driving.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
redlava

Re: 2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking (trb)

Post by redlava »

Can't get that cold in Houston can it?My 03 usually cranks very slow when it is cold out, and I mean below 40 degrees. Above that and it will start on the second or third turnover every time. I still have the original battery, but it has always done it. It could be any number of issues, but the low amp battery is probably the most likely of the issues.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

It might be a good idea to look over any and all electrial connections under the hood, being used, you really don't know if anything has been messed with... Cleaning up the battery terminals is a easy one... Use some dielectric grease on any and all electrical connection you take apart as well... Possible fuel filter plugged, seems unlikely with the mileage, but it's a possibility and cheap enough to replace... Plugs as mentioned, but mileage again, not likely, ar all the plug wires on tight? (again, going back to connections, just try and wiggle any you find)You need Air, Fuel and Spark to start a motor, which do you have the least of? Check the air filter for grins to...
Slingshot

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Slingshot »

trb -I have an 06 with about 53,000 miles on it. Mine does this intermittently ... it just cranks over about 4-5 seconds longer before it fires. The extra time it takes to fire makes me start to think "oh, crap - what is wrong" ... and then it starts ... and then I think "that was wierd".I have not been able to see a pattern when it does or doesn't happen. It does not crank slow, just takes longer ... will let you know if I figure something out.
2006 Vibe, FWD.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

lately my 06 is starting to take longer to start ---- you think its started and let go of the key and then have to turn it again i'm going to clean the terms and oil my filter again before the winter. does CT test a battery for free? Would I be better off getting a battery recharged or buying a new one?
vibebob

Re: (bull77)

Post by vibebob »

there is a thread on this . . search hard to start ? forgot the exact topic titleI have an 05 and every once in a while it takes a couple of tries before it starts, it cranks fine, just won't fire. I might go 3-4 months and not have the problem, then out of the blue several times over the course of a couple of days it'll be hard to start . go another several months starting fine, then it happens again. I use Texaco/Shell gas
no longer a vibe owner"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein.
ou.grizzly

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Possible fuel filter plugged, seems unlikely with the mileage, but it's a possibility and cheap enough to replace... The Vibe/Matrix does not have an inline fuel filter, it's fuel filter/pick up screen is inside the fuel tank, and to access it involves removing the rear seat.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
BoostFrenzy

Post by BoostFrenzy »

i'm now experiencing the same with our 03, i'm questioning the coolant temp sensor, these usually wreak havoc in all cars in cold weather if they're not reporting the proper water temp
-2008 Corvette Coupe MN6, tuned & tinted... more mods to follow-2007 Mazda3 S-touring hatchback 5spd AUTO, stock & tinted. GF's-2003 Pontiac Vibe base AUTO, stock and winter duty (185k miles)gone but not forgotton...02 Z06, 04 & 05 STi, 93 & 94 RX-7 TT, 89&90&91 Audi 80/90, 02 A4
VforVIBE

Re: 2006 Vibe is "hard" to start when cold, usually takes several seconds of cranking (jOkErSvIbE)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by jOkErSvIbE »firefly rules!Random thread revival
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Seems our OP has left the building...
trb

Update

Post by trb »

I've been driving my son's car daily for the past 2 months, (long story, he's in college now, not working but STUDYING I hope) and it seems like it is starting better. But it may just be that I'm used to it and now I hold the key until I know it has started. I just remembered, the PCM completely went out on us about 9 or 10 months ago, and we had the car towed since it would start, run a bit & die, start & die, and then not start. Did this about 3 times in a few days. They replaced the computer and since then I haven't noticed a problem. The B2B warranty just ran out last week with 17K miles so I hope we don't have any more problems. My only complaint is the auto trans shuffle it has, I don't like auto trans cars!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &