Removing Hub Caps???

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
p8md

Removing Hub Caps???

Post by p8md »

Can someone tell me how to remove the hubcaps. I thought most of them were held on by the outside "bead" of the rim, but these seem to be held on in the center.I'm 32 years old and this is my first set of hub caps. I just don't want to break anything.Thanks!
keithvibe

Re: Removing Hub Caps??? (p8md)

Post by keithvibe »

they are held on by the center plastic nuts... losen the center plastic nuts. The nuts will not come off the hubcap. once the hubcap is off you will see that the vibe has a double sided lug nut. one side it to mount the hubcap the other side to mount the wheels to the hub.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joatmon

Re: Removing Hub Caps??? (p8md)

Post by joatmon »

They should put that in the owners manual, but they don't
tribalman

Re: Removing Hub Caps??? (keithvibe)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe ». losen the center plastic nuts. The nuts will not come off the hubcapyes they do, it's crappy plastic . just be careful when taking off the hub caps. try not to strip the plastic nuts when taking them off or on. i'm missing 6 of them from my set. most were already gone when i got the car.
None. Vibe is gone.
keithvibe

Re: Removing Hub Caps??? (tribalman)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by tribalman »yes they do, it's crappy plastic . just be careful when taking off the hub caps. try not to strip the plastic nuts when taking them off or on. i'm missing 6 of them from my set. most were already gone when i got the car.HAHAHA HEMAN...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

This is where i chime in to say i hate lug mounted hub caps.It takes twice as long to rotate or change tires.
keithvibe

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »This is where i chime in to say i hate lug mounted hub caps.It takes twice as long to rotate or change tires.Not to mention they usually make the hubcap squeak up against the steel rim.
Raven

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »This is where i chime in to say i hate lug mounted hub caps.It takes twice as long to rotate or change tires.You never lose a hub cap though. I like the way they work.
lovemyraffe

Re: (Raven)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »You never lose a hub cap though. I like the way they work.+1Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »This is where i chime in to say i hate lug mounted hub caps.It takes twice as long to rotate or change tires.Twice as long might be an exaggeration. With as often as most people change/rotate their tires this isn't a big deal.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
fst

Re: Removing Hub Caps???

Post by fst »

resurrecting an old thread and I wish I knew about the lug covers. I had to buy a 21mm at first cause I thought it was 19mm like a majority of GM vehicles. once I tried to put the 21mm on the lugnuts they didn't fit and had to make a 2nd trip and get a 22mm. after loosening one of the nuts, I then realize it was the lug cover and not the lug nut itself. I ended up loosening all of the rest using the 22mm cause the lug covers were embedded into the lug nuts themselves :oops:

made a 4 tire rotation from 30-45minutes to 90 minutes with trips to the parts store. :cry: :oops:
01 Z28-3600 stall, A4, HPTuned, FTRA, LTs 12.3@113
03 Vibe GT (daily)
(Sold)98 GTP-zzp z7 turbo kit, FBO, tune, alky injection 12.3@118
(Sold)98 V6 Firebird-LQ4 swap, cam, LTs, 3.73s, stock 9.4:1CR 12.4@115