Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
02csnow

Lowering springs

Post by 02csnow »

Who has what and why do you like them?
Bye Bye Vibe.............
nuvibe

Post by nuvibe »

Tein S-Tech in my ride better than stock and handle real good and also can't complain for the $$. Good investment.... nuvibe
damronjr

Re: Lowering springs (02csnow)

Post by damronjr »

Depends on what kind of ride you want and how low you want it. I have had Eibach Pro-kit, Springtech Sport, and Hotchkis Sport springs.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
scherry2

Re: (nuvibe)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by nuvibe »Tein S-Tech in my ride better than stock and handle real good and also can't complain for the $$. Good investment.... nuvibewhat he said.
ramenboy...

Re: (scherry2)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »what he said. what she said
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Mavrik

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »what she said What you all said. No regrets getting them.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Mine are modified OEM springs. I love the ride and the look for my AWD Vibe.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

i have hotchkis and i love them. i got mine off ebay for half the price and I didnt want the drop to be what the tein s were because of winter so I went with the hotchkis
Mavrik

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

17" Of snow on one day and a car dropped 2" from stock and I didn't get stuck once.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
vibe Freak

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by vibe Freak »

Hands down H tech springs and new KYB struts.
RFP1 17x8 , AFE Cold Air Intake, Helix Power Tower Plus, Eibach Sportline Springs with Tokico Blues, Progress sway bar, Alutec OEM Sized Lightened Crank Pulley full custom Magnaflow 2.5 header back exhaust and B&M tranny cooler E/S inserts Unichip.
NascarXprt

Re: (vibe Freak)

Post by NascarXprt »

Quote, originally posted by nuvibe »Tein S-Tech in my ride better than stock and handle real good and also can't complain for the $$. Good investment.... nuvibeQuote, originally posted by scherry2 »what he said. Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »what she said What they said.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »17" Of snow on one day and a car dropped 2" from stock and I didn't get stuck once. ha ha! cause i shoveled the snow in the drive way so it wouldn't! i barely made it with my awd! but really, 2" drop w/ the S-techs, car still sits higher than my LGT. handles just fine in the snow.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »what she said actually that would be what HE said.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »ha ha! cause i shoveled the snow in the drive way so it wouldn't! i barely made it with my awd! but really, 2" drop w/ the S-techs, car still sits higher than my LGT. handles just fine in the snow.You didn't shovel the streets and you know full well the city didn't either lol. I drove through a LOT of snow before I got to our driveway.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »You didn't shovel the streets and you know full well the city didn't either lol. I drove through a LOT of snow before I got to our driveway.wasn't near as bad as the side roads or our driveway... i drive around in it more than you every day. plus, Bill had to take a service call on our old street address, said he almost got stuck in the service van, and that sucker is 12" off the ground! was a good 2' of snow due to everyone piling theirs in the culdesac. glad we're not there anymore! but they did come and plow and we didn't have to shovel! still, going back on topic here, the S-techs with as much of a snow dump we received, were just fine. if you are concerned, I know that VA beach area doesn't get the snow like we do. I did manage to live there for a short time (Norfolk) while back.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by nuvibe »Tein S-Tech in my ride better than stock and handle real good and also can't complain for the $$. Good investment.... nuvibeQuote, originally posted by ramenboy... »what she said Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »What they said. What they all said
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »actually that would be what HE said. ha! yeah sheldon eloquently pointed that out! thanx hope!i stand correctedwhat he said!!!!
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ha ha. no sweat. usually it's just what HE said... and i have to correct people that it's what SHE said (vice versa). LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

what he said /she said sounds like a bad BF/GF argument. LOL
DopeVibeGT

Re:

Post by DopeVibeGT »

S-tech! Hope they are good. I just need to get the $$ to have them put on.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

The H-techs are great. No complaints.....as Goldilocks said "they are just right".
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

Alright i have made my decision and are ordering the s-techs today.
kevera

Post by kevera »

The s techs are great.I think it keeps close to factory ride,it's not bouncy or harsh.Plus the Vibe looks sweet lowered.
Sublimewind

Re: Lowering springs (BlueCrush)

Post by Sublimewind »

ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

If you don't have a body kit and don't mind a firm ride, go with the Tein S-Techs. If you do have a body kit (or are thinking about getting one)...get the H-techs (which I have). They're a little softer and once they've settled, you'll be looking at about 1.75-2" drop. I'll rub the liner only on the worst bumps.
mistertwo

Post by mistertwo »

glad i saw this thread... looks like i should invest in some springs now!
ramenboy...

Re: (mistertwo)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by mistertwo »glad i saw this thread... looks like i should invest in some springs now!do it!!!!!!
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
mistertwo

Post by mistertwo »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »do it!!!!!!help me find a killer price on a set of springs.. i am already getting rims this weekend, catback (i hope) next week, might as well do the whole shabang...OT my fiance is going to kill me.
kevera

Re: (mistertwo)

Post by kevera »

http://www.neverenoughauto.com...=1813
kevera

Re: (kevera)

Post by kevera »

mistertwo

Post by mistertwo »

this seems like a killer deal shocks struts and springs! i need to win the lotto stat!booo how come the link didnt show up
special_ops9

Post by special_ops9 »

Thinking about springs next, what offer the most drop? Ride quality matters nothing to me, I'm just looking for the best handling so shouldn't I go with a lower drop in the back to make the car closer to 50/50? either a set of springs or an RK sports hood what do you guys think?
Interior Thread Lighting/Audio Thread http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2557110
02csnow

Re: (special_ops9)

Post by 02csnow »

The Tein S-Techs give you the lowest drop and it does even the car fully out. As far as going with springs or hood. I would go with springs. Better bang for the buck.Oh yeah, i didnt want to say it but somebody will eventually. When did Pontiac become part of Nissan?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

watch out for the fake teins, heres their link to find out how to tell.http://www.tein.com/counterfeit/warning.htmlI bought my hotchkis springs off ebay brand new in box for half the price retail. You can find some sweet deals just make sure they are not fake ones. gl
special_ops9

Post by special_ops9 »

Wow counterfeit springs. Just bought some EBC red-stuff pads (for the third time - hope their actually in stock this time), some caliper paint, and some stickers off grafxwerks But on the RK hoods the ram air outlet is right above the stock air box, and from what I've read your supposed to cut a hole in the top of the air box. But wouldn't the air then enter the engine un-filtered? I've seen their hoods on eBay a couple times and it would be about $400 to my door vs $700 from their site but then I'd have to paint it.Oh and the guy I bought that sticker from on eBay guaranteed a 50 hp gain if I installed it right When people ask about it on the street I say it has a RB26 swap in it (removed).
Interior Thread Lighting/Audio Thread http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2557110
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Why does this post keep getting bumped, but without any replies???
02csnow

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by 02csnow »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Why does this post keep getting bumped, but without any replies??? Because people are voting on the poll.
JesseWHHS

Post by JesseWHHS »

i kept wondering the same thing. Thought maybe I was retarded or sumthin. lol
2003 Vibe with a 2006 Corolla Engine 16" alloys with Fuzion HR-i's on emred neon underglowtinted; 35 on 4 doors, and 15 on back 3 windowsBosch Platinum Fusion +4 spark plugsmoon and tunes package15" Kicker CVR in kicker ported box with Rockford Fosgate P5002 amp
Sublimewind

Re: (02csnow)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by 02csnow »Because people are voting on the poll.Ahhh, got ya, forgot there was a poll.... Thanks... i was thinking i was crazy... I have a set of S-techs, now i just need the CAR... Next weekend i believe is the weekend...!!!!!!!!
mixer

Re: Lowering springs (BlueCrush)

Post by mixer »

What procedure did you use to lower your vibe using OEM springs?
04 Vibe "SS" (Pontiac Dealer/Owner project),"SS"/TRD GraphicsTRD Tuned by Toyota (Dealership)Vibrant Strutbar,Polished Stainless Muffler Spectre Modular CAI- Body ColorBody Color Engine Cover w/Grafxwerks reflective overlayStellar Alarm System, Sony Xplod "GIGA PANEL" Blacked Out Z-24 15" rims w/ Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance
Sublimewind

Re: Lowering springs (mixer)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by mixer »What procedure did you use to lower your vibe using OEM springs?I didn't read that, that Bluecrush had said.... Moding springs IS NOT a good idea.... They are designed for specific loads and are not ment to be moded.... Cutting coils off and/or heating coils to change ride hight are one of THE WORST things you can do to a suspension system.... I do not know what Blue did, but, if you were thinking about following, you sould consider what goes inside your ride YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.... Do NOT trust HACK JOBS when it comes to suspension. You wouldn't trust a tire that had part of it cut off or heated to an extream, why in gods name would you consider trusting a spring that had been modified.... Don't even consider it...
vinny.mca

Post by vinny.mca »

Newb question, do most of you replace shocks while you guys replace the springs as well. To my knowledge, most oem shocks aren't made to handle the shorter spring, but I am a newb to the Vibe world, and would love to get you guys/girls insight on it.
scherry2

Re: (vinny.mca)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by vinny.mca »Newb question, do most of you replace shocks while you guys replace the springs as well. not with the tein S springs
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

hey vinny, i think the majority of us herehave kept the stock struts and replaced the springs. did a quick 'search' and there's a few threads on the subject. by the way, welcome to the family.
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
DavidPIL

Re: (scherry2)

Post by DavidPIL »

After 100,000+ & almost 5 years wouldn't it be a good idea to think about changing the struts when lowering even with the s-techs? How long should these struts last anyway? I'm considering the s-techs for next Spring, I should be in the 102,000 range then.Dave
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

once you drop the car on new springs you feel the bumps so your struts will need to get replaced more often id think... when you are changing the springs, if the shock still operates normally just leave them, otherwise if they arent holding air then you'll need to replace them.
vinny.mca

Post by vinny.mca »

thank you ramen boy for the warm welcome. Sadly I don't have a vibe. Good to know that the stock shocks can handle the lowered springs. After doing some reading, it doesn't seem like there are many options in the suspension category for the vibe..Or at least a shock upgrade available. The roads are horrid where we live, so i figured upgraded shocks would be best to accompany the shorter shocks.
darcmater

Re: (vinny.mca)

Post by darcmater »

Hmm seems the Tein S-Techs are the most prefered and not to badly priced from what I have seen. Besides the obvouse height diferance in the S and H versions of the teins, is the ride quality much differant between the two of them? Alos IS the height they mention on the sites they drop the car just a simple measurement of where the bottom of the car sat before compared to present?
Sublimewind

Re: (darcmater)

Post by Sublimewind »

The ride isn't bad... not the greatest for Mi roads, but heck, you saw the Subie, it's on wikkid stiff coilovers and it's not terrible.. So I would guess the Stechs aren't bad at all.. The drop is overall hight difference after they settle in... Any thoughts about those wheels man, I have others interested... (just checking)
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i had eibach sportlines for the sunfire..they were good..not a bad ride but not stock..but loved them