"Exploratory Committee": NY Auto Show & NJ Spring Meet 2007

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
ragingfish

"Exploratory Committee": NY Auto Show & NJ Spring Meet 2007

Post by ragingfish »

Each year, I get together with some folks and hit up the NY Auto Show. Kari and CP came one year, Nick has come a few years, back in the day AtWork (MIA?) and MadDigital (from MatrixOwners) came too.I'd like to raise our attendance levels, and also tie in a mini spring-meet to make this a 2-3 day event.My proposal is that we do Thu/Fri, Fri/Sat, or Sat/Sun. How it would work: With a Fri/Sat we'd hit up the auto show Friday, and have our meet Saturday. Sat/Sun would be show on Sat, meet on Sunday.My recommendation would be to strongly advise that we hit the auto show on Friday. Smaller crowds, and less chaos would make it far more enjoyable. In any case, I'm attempting to gauge interest and possibly pick dates early enough so that we can get good solid attendance numbers and maybe some first-timers (*poke poke* > millster ).Please indicate your interest via reply, and ONLY if you are interested or seriously considering attending, vote for a weekend below.BTW - I picked the days surrounding the weekend of the 14th because my prior conversations with other folks have indicated that fewer people are available to attend the previous weekend.*Note, regardless of which dates we pick, there are guaranteed to be at least 2 days of activities (NYAS and meet). However, I'm up for doing stuff the 3rd day too if people wanna hang out and leave a day later!FINAL RESULTS:Fri/Sat/Sun? - NYAS 4/13, Meet 4/14, 4/15 (100%, 6 votes) Sat/Sun/Mon? - NYAS 4/14, Meet 4/15, 4/16 (NOT RECOMMENDED) (0%, 0 votes) Thu/Fri/Sat? - NYAS 4/12, Meet 4/13, 4/14 (0%, 0 votes) (6 total votes)
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
nygiantzz1

Re: "Exploratory Committee": NY Auto Show & NJ Spring Meet 2007 (ragingfish)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I'm in and completely flexible on the dates. I would just need 4-5 weeks notice to get the time off from work.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

I'm definitely up for the Fri/Sat/Sun option. I believe we did this during the most recent venture this year. The auto show was definitely more manageable on a Friday than over the weekend.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I vote Friday and Saturday as well. A less crowded day at the auto show would be a definite plus!
GenVibe Global Moderator
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

What month is this?
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Kari

Re: "Exploratory Committee": NY Auto Show & NJ Spring Meet 2007 (Sputnik)

Post by Kari »

April, I think
GenVibe Global Moderator
Sputnik

Re: "Exploratory Committee": NY Auto Show & NJ Spring Meet 2007 (Kari)

Post by Sputnik »

I asked hubby if he wanted to go, because I love going to auto shows and he said "actually we should go to NY sometime..." but I don't think that was a yes exactly...
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Holy hell I just realized how badly I fouled up the dates in the poll. This would be in April, yes.For those who need enough notice, I plan to analyze the results and announce the official dates by mid-January.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
mcgusto82

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by mcgusto82 »

I am definately going to the Auto show. Hell, i go every year. I'm not sure about friday though. I work mon- Fri.Anybody goign to the Bike show here in a couple of weeks?
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

*bump*I plan to finalize the dates 2 weeks from today, so get your votes in if you wanna come!

2009 PONTIAC G8
nitrovibegt

Post by nitrovibegt »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »*bump*I plan to finalize the dates 2 weeks from today, so get your votes in if you wanna come!Ill come to the mini meet whenever...auto show...ill be going to dealer day...thursday...get to see it all without the crowds...benefit to owning a ford lincoln mercury franchise...let me know on the meet dates...J
2004 Vibe GT ,Shadow/Black has 64k now.Upgrades,Eibach springs,Injen CAI,Zex Wet Nitrous System 10lb bottle,Haas intercooled turbo, 100+ HP. Dyno w/ Nitrous at 296 to the wheel...stupid fast...it will beat any ones vibe on this website handsdown.7000 dollar investment.worth every penny.Progress Sway Bars,laser defuser,dual exhuast, brembo drilled rotors.New audio pics on cardomain...800 watt amp, 2 x 10" kickers, 4 mid, 4 tweeter mb quart premium...Eclipse Nav.Awesome..New 18" Montegi Jason
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

POLLING CLOSED!Dates finalized!Friday - SundayApril 13 - 15If you're planning on coming, start making plans!Look for lodging info in approximately 1 week!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

UPDATE:Nothing is confirmed, but here are a few possibilities for our traditional "attraction" visit the day of the auto show:* Statue of Liberty / Liberty Island (statue and crown are closed to the public)* Rockefeller Center / NBC Studios / NBC Experience Store / Today Show taping? (just a thought )* Yankee Stadium tour* United Nations tour* Coney Island* Circle Line tour* Transit MuseumIf anyone has any preferred attractions, post up here!Attractions NOT eligible, because we've already been to them:* Empire State Building* World Financial Center / World Trade Center site

2009 PONTIAC G8
Kari

Post by Kari »

Another suggestion that allows for good viewing of pretty much the entire city, including the Statue of Liberty, would be a Circle Line cruise. Otherwise, I think the UN tour or the Yankee Stadium tour sounds interesting...the statue is nice to look at but there isn't much to do on the island itself...that's why it's best (IMO) to view it from the circle line cruise, which goes all the way around Manhattan and gets you some great photo ops.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ragingfish

Re: (Kari)

Post by ragingfish »

I neglected to mention on the statue, that the statue itself, and mainly the crown, have been closed to the public since 9/11. Observation is not permitted any higher than the 10th and top floor of the pedestal.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Kari

Post by Kari »

Oh, and the Transit Museum in Brooklyn is pretty cool too...all about the history of public transit in NYC. I know it doesn't sound cool but I thought it was...and my mom who only went because it was "my thing" that I chose to do (the Museum of Natural History was hers...which is also cool) was actually pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it as well. They have a lot of interesting displays and since the whole thing is in an abandoned subway tunnel that has been remodeled, there are old trains down there from the entire history of the subway that you can go in and check out.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Oh, and the Transit Museum in Brooklyn is pretty cool too...all about the history of public transit in NYC. I know it doesn't sound cool but I thought it was...and my mom who only went because it was "my thing" that I chose to do (the Museum of Natural History was hers...which is also cool) was actually pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it as well. They have a lot of interesting displays and since the whole thing is in an abandoned subway tunnel that has been remodeled, there are old trains down there from the entire history of the subway that you can go in and check out.sounds good to me!

2009 PONTIAC G8
satur9

Post by satur9 »

put me down for a very strong mabey.todays the first day im seeing this since ohio got shafted to the northeast.
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
satur9

Re: (satur9)

Post by satur9 »

dang cant make it
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

This is about a month away.. I'm still IN! I'll probably look for a hotel before the end of the month.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

need a better idea of who's definitely coming to the auto show, meet, and/or both so arrangements can be made. please post back asap.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Kari

Post by Kari »

We are coming
GenVibe Global Moderator
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

You know I'm in.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I can't make it. It looks like I'm stuck working that weekend. My boss put in for leave time and he got it. I have to cover. I was looking forward to meeting everyone. I'll have to catch the next one.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

LODGING UPDATE:For those coming from outside the area, this is the hotel I'm recommending. It's centrally located between the train to NY and the meet location. Nick stayed at it before, and said it was nice, and affordable.COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT LINCROFT/RED BANK245 Half Mile RoadRed Bank, New Jersey 07701Phone: 1-732-530-5552 It's located RIGHT off the Garden State Parkway, so you don't have to wander far from the major highways to get to it.I recommend if you *think* you're attending, reserve a room NOW! You can always cancel it later!I will need solid numbers for attendance in about a week or so since we'll likely make reservations in advance for dinner on Friday night. How does everyone feel about hard rock cafe again?

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

bump

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

MEET LOCATION HAS CHANGED!Due to the very low response to this meet, I have gotten wind of a much larger "all cars welcome" meet taking place the same day. As a result, I am relocating/cancelling this meet at Allaire State Park and instead will be heading the group over to join up with this event:IN ORDER TO KEEP COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE COORDINATORS TO A MINIMUM, I HAVE TAKEN THE LIBERTY OF PRE-REGISTERING THE FOLLOWING ATTENDEES:RagingfishNSimkinsKariColonelPanicIF ANY OTHER MEMBERS WISH TO ATTEND, PLEASE NOTIFY ME AND I WILL CONTACT THE EVENT COORDINATOR. THANK YOU!REVISED LODGING INFORMATION TO BE POSTED LATER THIS AFTERNOON!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

What, your car and Nick's isn't enough for a proper meet? hehehe
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

NEW UPDATE!!!Due to failed interest, and, well, we had a better idea, we will NOT be attending the hooters meet saturday.Saturday we'll venture to philly for the day, so anyone who wants to join us is welcome!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Kari

Post by Kari »

But if you're coming, you gotta let us know so we can change our priority seating request at the Hard Rock Cafe in Philly!
GenVibe Global Moderator
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »But if you're coming, you gotta let us know so we can change our priority seating request at the Hard Rock Cafe in Philly! YES!Cause if you don't tell us, you can come to philly, but you're waitin outside while we eat dinner!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Anyone coming to the show, please pre-purchase your tickets! If you have to wait on line for tix, we're going to start without you!!!to purchase, CLICKY!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Baltovibe

Re: NY Auto Show & NJ Spring Meet 2007 (ragingfish)

Post by Baltovibe »

To me, this meet was kind of confusing. I know the dates chosen was April 13-15, but was really confused on the Philly/New York. Was one day for Philly (Hard Rock Cafe), and the other day for New York (International Auto Show)?
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

this year's show was the best by far!!! the ny transmit museum was also fantastic!Pictures here:http://photos.ragingfish.com/NYAS07

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

hey hope and phil. on our way to philly today, we passed by subaru's national headquarters. we all thought of you, and had to stop and take a moment, so this one's for you!!!

337381=11626-subaru.jpg

2009 PONTIAC G8
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

Damm, i mssed this thread. I just got back from the auto show earlier. WOW! worse auto show ever! extremely over crowded. Next year, i'm going during a week day. I was soo disappointed. Had to park at 41 ST, and 7 Ave. Other wise i'd have paid 60$.
ColonelPanic

Re: (mcgusto82)

Post by ColonelPanic »

We went on Friday evening, it was good times! Took the train into the city, that helped quite a bit. Mass transit sometimes is useful... stand clear of the closing doors, please.... ding dong!" No way in hell would I ever get near that city with my car, or even my worst enemy's car. That's gotta be a PITA.The cars were great, the crowds were minimal and all in all it was a shload better than the last time I went back in '04. People were actually being courteous of those of us who were snapping pics and stayed away, especially Mike with his tripod. That blew my fricken mind, last time you couldn't even get close to a car to look at it let alone get pics.The worst part was the poor GM support for Pontiac - there wasn't even a Vibe there! But the G8, the Saturn (ahem Opel) Astra and Vue, the new Malibu, and those three funky Chevy concept things were interesting to look at.The coolest part we had was at the Hyundai display. After a few hours of walking around, tired as hell, people got a place to sit there which was cool in itself since nobody else thought we needed to sit. We noticed a sign that had "Hyundai Owner's Lounge" so I went back to see what that was about. I just showed them that I owned a Hyundai, and they let us all in. There, we were greeted with leather couches and chairs (very comfy!,) a coffee table with magazines, and FOOD. Sandwiches, cookies, brownies, water, tea (including fancy schmancy expensive hot tea,) coffee... And got to chit-chat with a bigwig with the company, he was over the owner communication stuff. Free gifts such as a money clip and a schweet blanket to use outside. It was unreal. All of us were able to make ourselves at home for probably an hour, I dunno. Much needed break from the walking around. Few others there did anything like that, and when they did it was usually Mercedes or the like, and their customer lounge wasn't even as nice. I've got plenty of pics, and when I get back home to I'll post 'em up. All in all, I found many interesting vehicles there from a number of different companies... I had a great time.

Image Image
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »hey hope and phil. on our way to philly today, we passed by subaru's national headquarters. we all thought of you, and had to stop and take a moment, so this one's for you!!! (removed)! That's awesome, Mike! if we ever get to Philly, we'll definitely have to stop in and yell at them. ha ha ha! bet the show was great though! wish we could get to one of those.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i saw 2 saturn sky's today and i almost wet myself both times. drool... they are so hot! i would take either the solstice or the sky turbo's of course.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
MAVibe

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by MAVibe »

ditto....
HISTORY:2006, debadged, Cosmo Racing SR, Megan Racing strut bar, Progress swaybar, custom VVT-I body decals, GrafxWerx engine cover overlay, front-end bra, WeatherTech visors, S2000 antenna, f&r mudflaps, roof spoiler, AND MODA R9's w/ 225/40/18 Yokohama Avid's....
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Otay, anybody ready for a crapload of pics? These are just a few I picked that are somewhat of interest... Enjoy!CTS:XLR (I kinda like that purple!)New Malibu:Camaro:Chevrolet Volt concept:G8:Astra:Vue:ChRICEler Sebring, HOME DEPOT GUTTER GUARD Edition!:Chrysler Pimp$pen,(er, Aspen:)Those are 24's... Chrysler something or other, can't remember what they call it:Dodge Demon:Kia Soul:HHR Panel van:Suzuki, uhh, XL-blowyoureardrumsout or something:Hyundai Genesis:Tiburon plus some acid hits: Ford Flex: LOOK KIDS, IT'S AN XB STRRRRRRETCHHHHH! And finally, the group shot of us chillin' in the Hyundai lounge. There's many, many more where this came from. Feel free to have a look around at my collection here.

Image Image