Use of Profanity Notice

The latest news and announcements from the staff at GenVibe
millster

Use of Profanity Notice

Post by millster »

Given our ever increasing membership, I wanted to take a minute to bring something to everyone's attention.First of all, I'd like to post a link to our site guidelines both as a refresher to our older members, but also for reference to our newer members who may not have seen them.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=8984In particular, I would like to address the issue of profane/vulgar posts and content within posts.As I'm sure you've all noticed, the forum has a profanity filter that will screen undesirable language out of posts as they are submitted. This results in a series of '*'s replacing the word that was filtered.This filter is in place to catch the few words that may happen to slip. It's understood that in some cases a "blue" word may slip into a post. That's why we have the filter.The issue I want to address is the "creative spelling" to avoid being filtered.The site rules (linked above) explicity specify that profane language is not allowed in posts. Editing the word to avoid the filter amounts to willfully ignoring the rules and will be handled by GVC staff as appropriate. For the time being, we will edit the post and you will be notified. Repeat offenses may result in further action.In the coming days, there will be changes made to the filter's rules. If any words are filtered that you feel should not be, please feel free to contact myself or another moderator and we can check into it.Thank you for your cooperation!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
kevera

Re: Use of Profanity Notice (millster)

Post by kevera »

Was that for the comment I made in my post.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
millster

Re: Use of Profanity Notice (kevera)

Post by millster »

You'd have been notified if it was.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

I have to say, at first I rolled my eyes at this, thinking "We are all adults".... but like the other times that we have gotten a "stern tlaking to", in all reality we should thank the moderators. this site does run smooth with little conflict with the members. That and the mods let things slide sometimes when it's just thrown in general coversation (looking in Drunken's direction.... not to mention names). All in all, I sometimes think that we have alot of rules here, but sometimes it's the little things that suck, that makes everything else more enjoyable as a whole.Disclamer *I was kidding Drunken, I wasn't really pointing fingers at you, you were just the first one that came to mind*
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
millster

Re: Use of Profanity Notice (Vibr8tr)

Post by millster »

Thanks Vibr8tr, I'm glad you agree. But in making your point, you solidify the stance we take on things. We're all adults and we should be able to engage in conversation without feeling the need to swear in every sentence we write or speak. We do try to keep things fun here, still and I don't want anyone to think these rules are arbitrary. They're based on past experience and requests of the members. We really do try to please everyone and if something is going on that is making the experience unpleasant for someone we address it.But seriously, thanks for your support!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I think the profanity rules are rules we can all live with. However, it certainly doesn't hurt to remind us every now and then. I know I've had to edit myself more than once before hitting that "post" button. Keep up the good work.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Kamikaze

Re: Use of Profanity Notice (K-NINE)

Post by Kamikaze »

So I can't use words like **** & ****, and I really can't use something like die you ******* piece of **** I hope you get hit by a ******* truck.ha ha!! no, seriously this is a good thing! I'm glad we have a filter. no reason for the profanity. Leave that for the garage when working on your car and smashing your finger!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage