Is the window seal for the Vibe and Matrix the same?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Black96z

Is the window seal for the Vibe and Matrix the same?

Post by Black96z »

I was wondering if anybody knows if the Vibe and the Matrix have the same seals on the Driver & passenger side windows. In the matrix part catalog its on page 1184 and labeled #2 in the picture under Glass & Parts. They call it a Glass Run. Is that the same part for the Vibe?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Yes it should be the same.
ToolGuy

Re: Is the window seal for the Vibe and Matrix the same? (Black96z)

Post by ToolGuy »

I do not know, but I have replaced my drivers side on my own with a GM part... It is pretty easy just have to remove the door panel and than patiently feed the seal into the inside window channel. Thank goodness the seal can be pushed downward into the channel and does not bind up.
redbeagle

Re: Window seal, glass run, for the Vibe and Matrix the same? (ToolGuy)

Post by redbeagle »

Toolguy, I need your help. I see you replaced the drivers side glass run gasket with a GM part on your vehicle. I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. I need to replace the glass run rubbers on the drivers side front door and passengers side front door. Does anyone know the GM and Toyota part numbers for these ? Are they the same rubber gasket ?I am fairly handy; I would like to do this job myself. How long did it take you ? Do you remember if you needed any special tools ? Are there Installation Instructions for these parts ? Any special you remember that you can tell me ?Any information you can provide would be very helpful.Thank you for your assistance, Redbeagle
joatmon

Re: Is the window seal for the Vibe and Matrix the same? (Bl

Post by joatmon »

ToolGuy wrote:I do not know, but I have replaced my drivers side on my own with a GM part... It is pretty easy just have to remove the door panel and than patiently feed the seal into the inside window channel. Thank goodness the seal can be pushed downward into the channel and does not bind up.
ToolGuy,

Been seven years since you posted that, but I wanted to thank you. I had to replace the driver door glass run on mine, and I started taking the door apart, pulling my hair out, thinking I might have to pull the glass, then I found this, and sure enough, you can replace the glass run without taking the door apart. Just put the window down, pull the old one, seat the end of the new one and push it down. (A little silicone makes it slide easier). Don't know if you are still around here anymore, but thanks anyway Image
ColonelPanic

Re: Is the window seal for the Vibe and Matrix the same?

Post by ColonelPanic »

The front window runs on Kari's are absolutely trashed, really not sure why. I'll be replacing those soon myself. The wind noise is irritating.

Good to know it isn't that involved to install. Thanks for bumping this thread up. :D

How much did you pay for them, joat?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I bought from gmpartsdirect. they charged $32.26 for the seal and $12.95 shipping, total $46.21. Seemed like the best price I could fine online for a new one. I didn't price the Matrix part, There's a seller on ebay that claims to have them from wrecked Vibes, I was willing to pay more for brand new.

The driver's side (left side) was GM part number 88974658 I don't know the passenger (right) side part number. Saw it somewhere, can't find it anymore. You can use the one part number to do some comparison shopping, and maybe if you buy both sides they won't charge you double the shipping I had to pay. A dozen different6 sites all seemed to use the same GM MSRP, which was somewhere between $50 and $60. SO I didn't get a remarkable deal, but it was cheaper, and it came to my door,none of that messing around trying to get to a dealership during the limited hours their parts department was open

Looking at the old one, it seems there may have been a dab of RTV on the flat hidden side of at least one of the vertical runs, to glue it to the door metal, perhaps to keep the window movement from stretching it up. I didn't put any on mine when I installed it, I figure if it starts to move around from the window going up and down I can pull it off a little and stick some in later.

I've read where some people have their glass runs swell. I think that is what is happening on my son's 03 Matrix. That or over the years the window going up and down has pushed the run, bunching it up a little at the top. Now I have overcome my fear of them, and I can look at it with a better perspective.
aheminway

Post by aheminway »

FYI, I purchased a window run for the Matrix, part number 6815101051, front left side. It fit perfectly in my 2003 AWD Base and it was a bit cheaper than the GM part. Pretty easy install, although it does make things easier if you remove the inside door trim and speaker to help feed it down the channel on the inside of the door.

Now for the passenger side...
Mark

Post by Mark »

aheminway wrote:FYI, I purchased a window run for the Matrix, part number 6815101051, front left side. It fit perfectly in my 2003 AWD Base and it was a bit cheaper than the GM part. Pretty easy install, although it does make things easier if you remove the inside door trim and speaker to help feed it down the channel on the inside of the door.

I bought the driver side run from the Toyota dealer here and the parts guy actually came out and installed it for me, said he knew "the trick". Don't know for sure what that was, but he sprayed it with some silicon and had it installed in less than 5 min.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Mark wrote:
aheminway wrote:FYI, I purchased a window run for the Matrix, part number 6815101051, front left side. It fit perfectly in my 2003 AWD Base and it was a bit cheaper than the GM part. Pretty easy install, although it does make things easier if you remove the inside door trim and speaker to help feed it down the channel on the inside of the door.

I bought the driver side run from the Toyota dealer here and the parts guy actually came out and installed it for me, said he knew "the trick". Don't know for sure what that was, but he sprayed it with some silicon and had it installed in less than 5 min.
Just replaced both of mine this last week. Bought them both from Conicelli Partznet. Paid just under $108 for both driver and passenger side after free shipping and 10% coupon code.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
brandontw

Post by brandontw »

SlammedNiss wrote: Just replaced both of mine this last week. Bought them both from Conicelli Partznet. Paid just under $108 for both driver and passenger side after free shipping and 10% coupon code.
Just thought i'd revive this and add a bit of information... I'm about to order left and right front from this place, as it seems to be the cheapest after a whole afternoon of shopping.

The relevant part numbers are as follows: (I hope)

RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS, LH. 6815101051
RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS, RH. 6814101061

I also ran across this semi interesting and possibly relevant Technical Service Belletin from toyota for the 03-05 Matrix wind noise problem. Same Deal for us Vibe owners I' would recon.

http://www.toyotapart.com/WIND_NOISE_FR ... 005-05.pdf

I deduced the proper part numbers because of this post earlier in the thread:
aheminway wrote: FYI, I purchased a window run for the Matrix, part number 6815101051, front left side. It fit perfectly in my 2003 AWD Base and it was a bit cheaper than the GM part. Pretty easy install, although it does make things easier if you remove the inside door trim and speaker to help feed it down the channel on the inside of the door.
I also have a 2003 vibe AWD base, so i figured if it worked for him, then it would work for me, then figured out the passenger side from the TSB.

Anyway... probably not many people that care will run across this thread, but hopefully it helps someone. And hopefully it helps that damn wind noise more than a little for over 100$.
trevg

Post by trevg »

brandontw wrote: Fri May 01, 2015 2:48 pm Anyway... probably not many people that care will run across this thread, but hopefully it helps someone. And hopefully it helps that damn wind noise more than a little for over 100$.
6 years later and it helped me! I ordered the Toyota parts you suggested, wound up costing around $150 after I shopped around a couple places (still at least $30 cheaper than the GM parts). Guess I should have done the replacement a decade and a half ago when it first became an issue, probably would have cost a lot less...

Thanks for the tips, I look forward to getting my parts in
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

trevg wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:18 pm 6 years later and it helped me! I ordered the Toyota parts you suggested, wound up costing around $150 after I shopped around a couple places (still at least $30 cheaper than the GM parts). Guess I should have done the replacement a decade and a half ago when it first became an issue, probably would have cost a lot less...
Curious what your seals look like currently? I have a bad drivers side seal also on my 2004 Vibe Gt but just living with the wind noise for now. Don't know how the seal got messed up in the first place (only owned the car for 3 years and came with this damage) . Post pics of yours if possible. Thanks ;)

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trevg

Post by trevg »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:00 am
Curious what your seals look like currently? I have a bad drivers side seal also on my 2004 Vibe Gt but just living with the wind noise for now. Don't know how the seal got messed up in the first place (only owned the car for 3 years and came with this damage) . Post pics of yours if possible. Thanks ;)
I only have the corner issue, not the one closer to the mirror, but my corner is quite bad and has been as long as I can remember (at least since 2008 or so, it’s an 04). It really does just whistle in my ear, which finally got a bit too annoying. Here’s a picture (sorry that it’s dark out):
6F688122-E1CD-4559-929D-2912604DC7B8.jpeg
6F688122-E1CD-4559-929D-2912604DC7B8.jpeg (1006.74 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
My passenger side has it in the corner too, more similar to the size problem that yours has on the driver side.

If you’re looking, I found my prices at Conicelli Toyota for a total of $155 for both. Not cheap, but I’m hoping it will be worth it!

I’m going to try the “dunk it in a bucket of soapy water and slide it in” trick to install. Though I’m thinking maybe I should open up the door panel and figure out why my window sometimes goes cockeyed when I try to roll it back up...

Edit: not sure what I was thinking, but I do have the wrinkle closer to the mirror too, on both sides. It doesn't seem quite as bad as yours, but it's definitely there.