Toyota into NASCAR Cup/Busch in2007 w/Camry

Discussions about legally sanctioned general motorsports events
NascarXprt

Toyota into NASCAR Cup/Busch in2007 w/Camry

Post by NascarXprt »

Toyota Anounnced today that they will be moving into NASCAR Nextel cup and the Busch series in 2007. Jayski.com
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

is that a 2zz engine in that?
cohocarl

Re: Toyota into NASCAR Cup/Busch in2007 w/Camry (NascarXprt)

Post by cohocarl »

I have mixed emotions on that....
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
mcgusto82

Re: Toyota into NASCAR Cup/Busch in2007 w/Camry (cohocarl)

Post by mcgusto82 »

well atleast toyota actually has the a camry coupe. unlike dodge and ford. why am i even posting, i hate nascar.
Kari

Re: Toyota into NASCAR Cup/Busch in2007 w/Camry (mcgusto82)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »well atleast toyota actually has the a camry coupe. unlike dodge and ford. why am i even posting, i hate nascar. Well of course Dodge and Ford don't make Camry coupes... Anyhow...I have mixed emotions on this too, although I've become so irritated with the sport lately that I've all but stopped watching. I watched the chase last year, but only for Tony Stewart, because he's still my driver and it's not his fault that the sport is taking a shape that is moving it away from its original fanbase.Toyota is already in the truck series, so I guess it was only a matter of time.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

its a joke.........but like everyone has said...i hate nascar...f1 or cart for me..with the $$$ for gas i cant see how they can waste some fuel racing cars today as a "SPORT".even though nascar is not a sport...complete was fuel.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

Hemingway said it best, "There are only three true sports - mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games."NASCAR is auto racing, just as FI and Indy cars. How do I feel about Toyota racing in NASCAR? I'm glad, maybe it will wake the others up....
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
russ257

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by russ257 »

big whoop so they get an engine block and a logo on the front of the car. It it so far from "stock" car racing that they might as well not even bother saying its a chevy montecarlo or a for tauris or a toyota camery coupe
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
cohocarl

Re: Toyota into NASCAR Cup/Busch in2007 w/Camry

Post by cohocarl »

I understand some people do not care for NASCAR, although I do not understand why some have to chime into a thread stating they hate it. Maybe it's difficult to read the topic with your head up your (removed), I don't know.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
cohocarl

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by cohocarl »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy »How do I feel about Toyota racing in NASCAR? I'm glad, maybe it will wake the others up....I don't really have a problem with Toyota getting into it. They will have to play to the same rules as everyone else. They've done well in the truck series, but didn't blow everyone else out of the water. NASCAR is the 2nd most watched sport in America (number one is NFL), so there's tremendous opportunity for Toyota to get advertising.Even though Toyota is a Japanese based company, they do have several assembly plants in the States, so it could be worse......
Kari

Post by Kari »

I basically have been a lifetime NASCAR fan, and although I don't like the direction it's going in now, I wouldn't say I hate it. It just doesn't interest me as much as it used to, because the things I enjoyed about it are either not there anymore or are quickly going by the wayside.Anyhow, I got to thinking about something else related to this development today...the "reason" they allowed the Toyota trucks was originally because although they were made for a company based in Japan, they were made here in the U.S. So is the same entirely true for the Camry? I know they make them here, but I thought they also made them in Japan, which would make them not entirely American built. Anyone?
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Re: (Kari)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Anyhow, I got to thinking about something else related to this development today...the "reason" they allowed the Toyota trucks was originally because although they were made for a company based in Japan, they were made here in the U.S. So is the same entirely true for the Camry? I know they make them here, but I thought they also made them in Japan, which would make them not entirely American built. Anyone?They're made at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, but I'll be darned if the top few that I searched for 2006 Camry's on Auto Trader, all had VIN's that start with J so those certainly aren't built on American soil. So while some are built here, not all can be considered a product built in North America, unlike the Toyota trucks or any of the other vehicles currently participating in Nascar.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

What cracks me up to no end is this belief that the cars raced in NASCAR are actually Ford, Chevy, and Dodge vehicles. They are about as stock as Michael Jackson. I say let anyone in the party. I'd love to see Saleen & Shelby get in the mix.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Look out NASCAR, comes "RICECAR": Ridiculous Imbecilic Contrived Excessively Convoluted Assinine Rules. In other words, 'Formula 1 for rednecks' And I'm proud to call myself a redneck NASCAR FAN!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Kari

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by ZubenElGenubi »What cracks me up to no end is this belief that the cars raced in NASCAR are actually Ford, Chevy, and Dodge vehicles. They are about as stock as Michael Jackson. I say let anyone in the party. I'd love to see Saleen & Shelby get in the mix.No, they're not "actually" Ford, Chevy, or Dodge vehicles like the ones you see on the street, but they do receive factory support from the manufacturers, and each make does have its own body template that is actually fairly closely related to the "stock" car. It's not the stock car exactly, but the basic body shape is the same, with aerodynamic/safety modifications specific to the racing vehicle.The NHRA Pro Stock class is the same way, although they do look much more similar to the cars you see on the street. They, too, have aerodynamic/safety modifications specific to the form of racing they're used for, but they also receive factory support and must meet certain requirements for their body template, depending on the make.
GenVibe Global Moderator
TRDman

Re: (silverawd26)

Post by TRDman »

I don't know about that, but I did hear Toyota was producing all in-house components. Still, as a response to the thread as a whole, I think it's great. There's no way they'll get that many people quitting as fans because the fans in NASCAR (myself included) will take ANYTHING (they acquised to the Chase so easily...). Perhaps Toyota will make it more competitive because they'll throw everything they have at it and probably already have all the secrets they need for a properly competitive model (unlike Dodge's Charger from last year).