How can I find out whether I have ABS?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
MikeyP

How can I find out whether I have ABS?

Post by MikeyP »

After recently jumping in and purchasing our first Vibe (03 Base), I was wondering how I can find out if this beast has ABS or not. It hasn't been slippery enough to check it for real, but is there a control unit, extra fuse.. something I can quickly glance at to see if I have ABS?It's an 03 Base auto, but pretty much has every other option in the book except Nav.. and it's a Canadian model if that helps...? I kinda thought that pretty much every GM has ABS standard (yah yah.. Toyota), but I recall they were making it optional a few years back. For some reason I can't see them equipping a loaded "base" w/o ABS. *grumble*Thanks!
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

turn the key on to the 1st click, NOT START! All the idiot lights will test, if you have one that shows ABS, you have it, if you don't, well.....you don't.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
cohocarl

Re: How can I find out whether I have ABS? (MikeyP)

Post by cohocarl »

You could also peek under the rear end and see if there's a wire running up to the brake assembly. The pic below is of my 03 without abs.You could also get out on a deserted road and slam on the brakes.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Looking at http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6558, check the sticker with all the three character codes inside the glove box, and it seems like ABS on an 03 base would be code JM4
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

i just found out/remembered my vibe has abs! when you start the car, in the left cluster a ABS light will light up.
mcgusto82

Re: How can I find out whether I have ABS? (joatmon)

Post by mcgusto82 »

on the passenger side engine bay. near or next to the windshield washer fluid filler tank. there is a bunch of hydrulic lines. i'd say about 5 or 6. if you have these lines, than you have ABS.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

See thread "are people over 40 really that uniformed?" I suspect you are under 40!
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Jaycie685

Post by Jaycie685 »

I was wondering the same thing myself with whether my Vibe had ABS or not! I bought mine used as well and didn't know if I had it or not since the dealer I got mine from didn't tell me nor was it listed in carfax. After all your inputs I can say that I don't. Bummer. Oh well just hope I don't lose control of my car someday!
Jen's Vibe:: 2004 two-tone base in Frosty :: Automatic :: Exhaust Tip :: Rear Bumper Protector :: Cargo Nets :: Rear Cargo Mat :: Rear Cargo Cover :: "You just got passed by a wagon " decal :: Red glowing "No Smoking" plug in cigarette lighter ::
cohocarl

Re: (Jaycie685)

Post by cohocarl »

Quote, originally posted by Jaycie685 »After all your inputs I can say that I don't. Bummer. Oh well just hope I don't lose control of my car someday!Bummer? It's not the end of the world....at least for some of us that don't care for anti-lock.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
binary

Re: How can I find out whether I have ABS? (mcgusto82)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »on the passenger side engine bay. near or next to the windshield washer fluid filler tank. there is a bunch of hydrulic lines. i'd say about 5 or 6. if you have these lines, than you have ABS.Yeah, I was going to suggest looking under the hood and look for the mass of brake lines on the fender... that really sticks out under the hood.
trocar

Re: How can I find out whether I have ABS? (binary)

Post by trocar »

Hit the brakes in the wet and see what happens.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

just remember to pump the brakes when sliding or about to...
kostby

Post by kostby »

...but thou SHALT NOT pumpeth thy brakes if thou dost have ABS, for that act shall defeateth the purpose of ABS!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Man of Steel

Re: (cohocarl)

Post by Man of Steel »

If you slam on the brakes on and icey or snow covered road and it sounds like you're dragging garbage cans, then you have ABS.
05 AWD.
dale321

Re:

Post by dale321 »

tnpartsguy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:47 pm turn the key on to the 1st click, NOT START! All the idiot lights will test, if you have one that shows ABS, you have it, if you don't, well.....you don't.
ome on man, cant this thing post pics man ? ... pic of abs on your dash man so we know where to look come on man ?!!
man need a clue like center cluster , right dial or left .. come on man .. some doosh in the advance auto actually wanted my license plate number to look this up .. after some jabber jawing i aggreed to the other option his shitty computer gave him which was
VIN number .. so he goes out to take pic of the VIN on his personal phone , comes back into store to look it up .. and guess what .. fubmbles around when i repeatedly ask ' .. well we got the vin ,.. does it have ABS .. after erpeated questionsing ... 'well it doesnt always tell' ... i fealt dumb for having gone through this procedure !!!
joatmon

Re: Re:

Post by joatmon »

dale321 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:51 am
tnpartsguy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:47 pm turn the key on to the 1st click, NOT START! All the idiot lights will test, if you have one that shows ABS, you have it, if you don't, well.....you don't.
... pic of abs on your dash man ...
dale,

Here is a pic showing the location of the ABS indicator light from the owner's manual. I looked through your posts and can't see where you ever said what year Vibe you have, so I put the three cluster layouts, 03-04, 05-08, and 09-10. Inset in the top left shows the different icon for US and Canada, similar for all three cluster versions.

abslight.jpg
abslight.jpg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Looks like you got your Vibe used, so in case you didn't get an owner's manual with it, you can download PDF versions for all years from https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=755