Rear end vibes 🤙🏻

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Post Reply
kripakm
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:13 am

Rear end vibes 🤙🏻

Post by kripakm »

Hello!

This is my first post so thank you for reading.

I bought a 2008 Pontiac vibe 5 speed in August and it’s in excellent condition with 116k miles. One thing I noticed on it was the steering was just slightly off and there’s a vibration at highway speeds. I got an alignment and my steering wheel was just a hair off but not bad at all like .04. But the rear end is off a good bit apparently. The driver wheel is pointing inwards .29 and the passenger tire is pointing outwards to the passenger side another like .22
​Also the thrust angle is .26 to the passenger side.
When I got it I noticed maybe some curb rash on the rear end and one the wheel covers was bent up. So it definitely seems like someone may have slid into a curb or a pothole or got hit on the rear axle. I know this is a solid thing and cannot be adjusted. There’s a constant pull to the driver side at like 50 mph and up.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or know the best way to handle this? Idk if I could maybe get 2 come alongs a try to push and pull the wheels more straight or if that’s just a horrible idea.

Any advice is appreciated.
andrewclaus
Posts: 608
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm
Location: Golden, CO

Re: Rear end vibes 🤙🏻

Post by andrewclaus »

Check into whether you can get a rear alignment. There may be shim package available, maybe from Toyota.There are no easy adjustments for this, and don't go banging on it. Or maybe some structural members need to replaced. In my experience, Toyota parts are readily available at reasonable cost.
Post Reply