TPMS sensor reset issue?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
takearushfan

TPMS sensor reset issue?

Post by takearushfan »

Hi again.
So, I just got back from having the sensors fixed. He said I need to drive for at least 5 minutes at at least 20 mph. I did 30ish for 15 and the tire pressure still is blinking with the abs and brake lights on, as it was before. Did I just not drive fast enough/long enough or should I take it back to the shop? Heck, can it be manually reset? I know I've had to do that when it was just a regular pressure issue but will a reset work for all three lights? Should I even try it or...? I'm so lost. Thanks.
takearushfan

Re: TPMS sensor reset issue?

Post by takearushfan »

Wait. I see conflicting info. Some places say at least 50mph, some at least 19. Some at least 15 minutes, others at least an hour. Which is it?! :( also, is it at once or cumulatively? I have health problems where I can't drive at 50mph, nor can I drive an hour at one time. The manual method i found doesn't work because it's not the same issue as simply needing more tire pressure added. Mine blinks with the abs and brake light as well, as I needed sensors fixed etc.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

to be honest, I know little about TPMS issues

You said that "I just got back from having the sensors fixed" Did they actually replace some or all of the sensors?

In the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqGfk1V625M the guy says that TPMS sensors have ID numbers, and that when you replace one, you have to tell the car computer the ID number of the new sensor. Now, in that video, he says its for Toyota, which should apply to the mostly Toyota Pontiac Vibe, but I can't say if that's applicable to a car as old as a Pontiac Vibe.

If that does apply to your Vibe, then it sounds like no amount of driving it around or various button pushing is going to resolve the issue. I don't know how to confirm that, but if it were me, I'd probably call a Toyota service department, pretend you have a matrix of the same year as your Vibe, and ask them how much it would cost and what would be involved to have them solve it.

If you had the sensors replaced, the shop that did it should have the tools to register the new sensors, and if not, maybe take it to a more reputable shop.

but as I hinted above, I'm only offering conjecture, this info could just as easily be a red herring
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

When I had my original tires replaced a couple years ago (dry rot, not worn out) the shop that did it tried programming them to a 2009 Vibe GT but were unsuccessful. When I showed up to pick up the car, they told me their dilemma. These were done at a shop that pretty much does semi tires and rarely deal with TPMS sensors. So I show up to get the Vibe and explained to them that they have to use a Toyota Matrix as the chosen vehicle in order for the sensors to adapt. They took my advise and it worked. They were a bit surprised but learned something. So if the shop did NOT choose the Matrix, then that may be the problem. Good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
takearushfan

Post by takearushfan »

joatmon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:41 am to be honest, I know little about TPMS issues

You said that "I just got back from having the sensors fixed" Did they actually replace some or all of the sensors?

In the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqGfk1V625M the guy says that TPMS sensors have ID numbers, and that when you replace one, you have to tell the car computer the ID number of the new sensor. Now, in that video, he says its for Toyota, which should apply to the mostly Toyota Pontiac Vibe, but I can't say if that's applicable to a car as old as a Pontiac Vibe.

If that does apply to your Vibe, then it sounds like no amount of driving it around or various button pushing is going to resolve the issue. I don't know how to confirm that, but if it were me, I'd probably call a Toyota service department, pretend you have a matrix of the same year as your Vibe, and ask them how much it would cost and what would be involved to have them solve it.

If you had the sensors replaced, the shop that did it should have the tools to register the new sensors, and if not, maybe take it to a more reputable shop.

but as I hinted above, I'm only offering conjecture, this info could just as easily be a red herring
Well, only one needed to be replaced but they did all of them. I didn't know they have to be registered. Maybe they forgot to do it?
takearushfan

Post by takearushfan »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:47 am When I had my original tires replaced a couple years ago (dry rot, not worn out) the shop that did it tried programming them to a 2009 Vibe GT but were unsuccessful. When I showed up to pick up the car, they told me their dilemma. These were done at a shop that pretty much does semi tires and rarely deal with TPMS sensors. So I show up to get the Vibe and explained to them that they have to use a Toyota Matrix as the chosen vehicle in order for the sensors to adapt. They took my advise and it worked. They were a bit surprised but learned something. So if the shop did NOT choose the Matrix, then that may be the problem. Good luck ;)
I'll call the shop now. I bet they rushed and forgot to register it or so like that.