Well known issue?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
BugSlayer

Well known issue?

Post by BugSlayer »

Hi, I just bought a base model 2009 Vibe (90k miles, automatic), and am looking for advice.

Car/engine is driving fine except for two things:

1) It cranks fine, but sometimes stumbles when starting - runs/idles rough for a few seconds (like it might stall) before revving up and smoothing out.
2) Occasionally after highway driving the idle seems to momentarily drop too low and it briefly stumbles.

I've seen discussion of the throttle body needing cleaning? Is this something I can do myself? I will probably replace the spark plugs...

Other questions:
3) Does anybody have a spare front license plate mount for this model?

4) Does anybody have simple solution for replacing the power/volume knob on the radio?

5) The door handle insert for the interior driver's side seems to not be popped in all the way, leaving a gap. Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks!
tpollauf

Re: Well known issue?

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. I can help you with two of your five requests BUT need to know where you're located. You should have had the option of filling it out when you signed up here. Unless you're in a witness protection program, or extremely paranoid, I don't see why 99% of the members here refuse to disclose their approximate location. I have some parts you need.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Can't offer any specific advise on 1 & 2, other than general tune up stuff. I never cleaned a throttle body, but I don't expect it to be too difficult.

3. I didn't have a plate holder on my second Vibe, I just screwed the plate directly to the front bumper. It bent a little, but worked ok.

4. The radio knob is a known issue.. A search here for topics with radio knob in the title turned up 14 on the issue. I've never had to deal with the problem, one thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34757 details how to replace the broken part, but unfortunately some forum software change lost the attached pictures. Another way is shown in this youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0HZDcPoKBc which also shows a part number to order

5 having never seen the inside of the 09-10 Vibes, can't visualize the part you mentioned
BugSlayer

Post by BugSlayer »

tpollauf wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:03 am Welcome to GenVibe. I can help you with two of your five requests BUT need to know where you're located. You should have had the option of filling it out when you signed up here. Unless you're in a witness protection program, or extremely paranoid, I don't see why 99% of the members here refuse to disclose their approximate location. I have some parts you need.
Thanks! I have updated my profile with my location.
ReddBoots79

Post by ReddBoots79 »

I've got your first issue, after a cold start, once it revved up, it's fine. Also an 09. Compared to the 04 Matrix my niece has, the 09 models don't revved up as aggressively (2000+) to warm up faster.

I had the car serviced at the local Toyota dealership when I first got it in mid April and nothing was noted, and again elsewhere early May (cost issue to replace sway bar links). I'm not worried and I reckon it being some carbon build up.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Clean the MAF sensor. That's made a substantial difference in idle on two old cars I bought in the last decade. Be sure to use dedicated cleaner and follow directions.

Run injector cleaner through the gas tank.

Replace plugs, engine air filter, PCV valve, cabin air filter while you're at it.

Clean the throttle body with dentured alcohol and a clean cloth and swab.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

BugSlayer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:29 pm
Thanks! I have updated my profile with my location.
Excellent. Well you're too far from me to deliver them BUT I'll make arrangements to mail you a set of new OEM radio knobs. I have several of them that were given to me at a Vibe meet years ago. There should be a few posts here showing how to change them out. The easiest and quickest was, is to destroy the existing ones (literally break them off in pieces) then when the shaft is totally clean, epoxy the new ones on. All this can be done with the radio still sitting there in the dash.

I also should have the front license plate bracket somewhere in my shop, unless I already gave it away. If I can find it, it's yours.

PM me your mailing address and we'll work out the details from there. Thanks for joining up here and get involved .................. Tim
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
BugSlayer

Post by BugSlayer »

andrewclaus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:56 am Clean the MAF sensor. That's made a substantial difference in idle on two old cars I bought in the last decade. Be sure to use dedicated cleaner and follow directions.

Run injector cleaner through the gas tank.

Replace plugs, engine air filter, PCV valve, cabin air filter while you're at it.

Clean the throttle body with dentured alcohol and a clean cloth and swab.
Ok thanks!
BugSlayer

Post by BugSlayer »

joatmon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:04 am Can't offer any specific advise on 1 & 2, other than general tune up stuff. I never cleaned a throttle body, but I don't expect it to be too difficult.

3. I didn't have a plate holder on my second Vibe, I just screwed the plate directly to the front bumper. It bent a little, but worked ok.

4. The radio knob is a known issue.. A search here for topics with radio knob in the title turned up 14 on the issue. I've never had to deal with the problem, one thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34757 details how to replace the broken part, but unfortunately some forum software change lost the attached pictures. Another way is shown in this youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0HZDcPoKBc which also shows a part number to order

5 having never seen the inside of the 09-10 Vibes, can't visualize the part you mentioned
Thanks for your offer. I ended up just screwing on a front license plate bracket, and someone sent me a 3d printed radio knob which is working fine (and didn't require removing the dash.) Having driven the car, I have more detail on the starting issue. It actually isn't on cold starts. It's on the start after you've driven somewhere and the car has sat for a while. Cold starts catch right away. When it has trouble, I do very briefly hear the infamous VVTi gear rattle, but only when it is already struggling to start. When it starts right up there is no rattle.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

My car does this when I'm using the AC. Its a 2.4l 5 spd.
It happens whenever the car is in neutral and idling.. so it's happening often when the car is stopped. It also start to happen if I'm coasting down the road in neutral.

the RPMs start dropping to around 500 and it makes the car shake and my shifter knob starts wobbling around.. sometimes I rev the engine a little to prevent it becusse it's annoying. Other times i just turn the fan off. reducing the load on the alternator fixes it.

I may try the new spark plugs. My car still has original plugs.. I'm sure they must need to be replaced. I've already cleaned the MAF sensor a few times but will do that again. My air filter is relatively new.