Transmission fluid change question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ReddBoots79

Transmission fluid change question

Post by ReddBoots79 »

Hello all. I got an 09 FWD (auto) recently and got a few things replaced at 127,460 miles. The last thing I was looking into was the transmission fluid. Neither the dealer or the Carfax show that a change was ever done, but it shifts just fine. The fluid is brown with a hint of red, and aside from one family member, every mechanic I asked told me to let it be.

Anyone had experience doing a drain and fill at this high mileage? I'm definitely not considering a flush and will use a T-IV. I wanna get another 100k or more out of the car, and I don't think "letting it be" sits well with me.
andrewclaus

Re: Transmission fluid change question

Post by andrewclaus »

I agree with you. I don't know about the '09, but on my '07 it was an easy job since the pan has a drain plug. If you have that plug, also consider dropping the pan to replace the filter and gasket. I only got 3-4 quarts out of 8, so I repeated the job a month later. That was seven years and 70,000 miles ago and the fluid is still a healthy red and still shifts perfectly, with 220,000 miles on it. I also used T-IV.
ReddBoots79

Post by ReddBoots79 »

That's good to hear. I'll do it in the next month or so. I'm more confident now after driving 20 miles yesterday and then checking the fluid again. Definitely reddish brown and after most of it evaporated, the red stayed. Just relieved it's not black.

Odd that GM stuck with T-IV, since the 2nd Gen Matrix used WS. Dexxcool too.
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

A friend who bought their Vibe at 20k, pulled out 2.5 qts at 90k miles and did it twice...then did the same thing at 200k...The car has over 250k miles now.... dont flush, just get "some" of the dirty fluid out , you will feel better and hopefully, the transmission will last many more miles....
Keep us posted on your experience w the fluid change....
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
ReddBoots79

Post by ReddBoots79 »

I will. The dipstick notes the type as WS, and apparently GM had incorrect info in the 09 manual that was later corrected for 10. I think the fluid was changed at some point because of the red tint in the fluid. Apparently WS turns brown pretty quickly too.

Should I stick with Toyota WS if I'm doing a mere drain or would any WS compatible fluid do?
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

For Trans fluid I only buy Toyota Fluid from Toyota, you can also get it on-line.

Sounds like there is a conflict on your fluid, you may want to make absolutely sure you only use the correct type of fluid for replacement. Could be a big issue.
Hope it goes well.
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
ReddBoots79

Post by ReddBoots79 »

Thanks, I think I'll stick with OEM fluid. No point of saving a few dollars and creating a bigger problem for later.

I found a few topics on this forum about the 09 fluid and apparently it was a misprint. Can't get any more certain than a dipstick stamp:

viewtopic.php?t=48320

That said, if the previous owner did a change and used WS compatible fluid like Maxlife, it's done good. I'll do a couple of drain and fills about 2k miles apart.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I checked the GM direct store and it recommended WS. Switching to pre 09 models recommended Dexron VI.

I also found an old thread from 09 here. There was service bulletin about it released to dealers then. That settles it, it's definitely WS

viewtopic.php?t=31600
jolt

Post by jolt »

I have changed the transmission fluid at 50,000 and 100,000 on our '09 Vibe. The last time I used the Valvoline MaxLife fluid and have had no issues. I would suggest you drop the pan and change out the transmission filter. There are also two magnets in the bottom of the oil pan that need to be cleaned. You should search on this forum board about changing the transmission filter. I have posted the info for the bolt torque spec's for both the pan bolts and the filter bolts on this forum in the past. You can find the filter and pan gasket cheap, the last one I bought on Amazon for $10.00. You are not changing out all the fluid with a drain, so 4 quarts is more then you will use. To get the proper filter and pan gasket, count the number of bolts that hold your pan on. There are two different transmissions and the pan bolt count will tell you if you have the right filter and pan gasket. My Vibe has the 2.4L engine and the transmission pan has 18 bolts. You will need a inch-pound torque wench, brake cleaner, and rags. Clean out the inside of the pan and the magnets with the brake cleaner and rags. Would you change your motor oil and not change your filter?
ReddBoots79

Post by ReddBoots79 »

Appreciate the details here Jolt, and agreed, a filter change is due.

I assume you did a drain and fill with the Maxlife fluid? WS has its detractors on the Tacoma forums and some swear that their trucks shift better with Maxlife.