Howdy - rear stabilizer bars

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Vibraphone

Howdy - rear stabilizer bars

Post by Vibraphone »

New here. Acquired '06 Vibe w/moon, tune & ABS -- but no alloy's -- from orig owner, purrrfct cond 184K w/a sheaf o' svc records.... my first Asian or American car. Pretty nifty; easy-to-work on, like the old Volvo's or VW's used to be.

Question. What are the diameters of rear sway bars on the Vibes? I see all sorts of numbers -- and no, not the pricy aftermarket bars. What bars fit Vibe, Matrix, Corolla... etc? It looks like many are same config and would fit Vibe -- prefer thicker ones. But can't find OE diameter for '06 vs '09-10 rear bars? Thx. Just tryin' to suppress some o' that gawd awful Toyota understeer.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Howdy - rear stabilizer bars

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Welcome to GenVibe!

I had a Progress Tech rear sway bar on my car.
The stock bar is about 22mm, the Progress Tech bar is 24mm. In autocross situations with the bigger bar, if you are braking hard enough in corners, the car will pick up the rear inside wheel. Which is great for turning in these situations.

However, this might impact ABS, but I'm not sure, as my car didn't have ABS.

I recommend having fresh rear struts installed. When the struts got weak on my car, the big bar ended up being too much on the street, and had some traction issues in the wet during normal driving.

I'm pretty sure the rear bar is the same from 2003 to 2010 (FWD cars, AWD cars had independent rear suspension)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Vibraphone

Re: Howdy - rear stabilizer bars

Post by Vibraphone »

Thanks! Looking at the rear struts, they look very tired--prev owner evidentially replaced front struts. You just talked me into doing the rear struts. Thanks. It's not uncommon for even shop mechanics to recommend front strut replacement -- and completely forget there's a set of itty-bitty struts back there that are likely more worn out than their bigger brothers up front. Most people don't realize, springs age by years, not miles, with oil-filled struts not far behind.