Does it make sense to park a 2003 Vibe for 3 years?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
theo987

Post by theo987 »

I love this car. It never left me stranded (KoW). It's been reliable and the engine remains in impeccable condition after 205Kkm. Its note is as nice today as it was on day 1.

But I'm upgrading to a new car. After 21 1/2 years, it's time. Still, my kid will reach driving age in 3 years, and it would be nice for him to have his own car, even if at first he will not need a car that often.

I'm in Ontario, so there is of course under-belly rust, but the top remains pristine, partly because I have only hosed it with soap and fresh water, and only a shammy touched the clearcoat. I never scrubbed the surface.

Thoughts?
tpollauf

Re: Does it make sense to park a 2003 Vibe for 3 years?

Post by tpollauf »

Definitely hang onto it BUT get it out on the road at least once a month if not more frequent. This will keep it's joints and other vital components flexible, if that makes sense. Plus the tires won't get flat spots from sitting in the same position for too long. I had a couple years where my personal Vibe barely got 1000 miles annually due to being in a commercial vehicle all the time. Just my thoughts.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
andrewclaus

Re: Does it make sense to park a 2003 Vibe for 3 years?

Post by andrewclaus »

I agree with the above. Compare the cost to keep it street legal to the sales price now minus the cost of another used car in three years.

My other car is 26 years old and though it's mechanically sound, some age issues are popping up. Plastic parts are failing. Parts are harder to find. Fewer people have them, and the internet forum is getting less active.