04 Vibe Possible engine failure.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ehawkes

04 Vibe Possible engine failure.

Post by ehawkes »

Hello everyone. I'm a new member. I having some trouble and need some advice. My son was on his way home from college in our 04 vibe when the plastic radiator neck that the radiator hose fastens to, shattered. The car broke down and was not able to start. After taking it to a local mechanic, they said that only one cylinder had compression and that the motor is ruined. Does that jive? I don't know much about engines. After looking on facebook marketplace and craigslist I can't believe what people are asking for these cars with close to 300K on the ticker. What makes it even worse was our car only had 138k on it. I just sick about it. I'm torn between replacing the engine and just looking for another Vibe. The hunt for another one has been intense. I mean as soon as I see a good deal on one it gets snatched up. Letr me know what you think I should do. Thanks.
VIBIN5spd

Re: 04 Vibe Possible engine failure.

Post by VIBIN5spd »

Loss of compression after over heating....
May need a new head gasket if the head is now warped.

You would also need to have the old head machined to make it flat again.

This is an expensive problem if your not going to fix it yourself.

A used motor can be a roll of the dice. Could have oil consumption issues. But this may be your best option.