Change the whole starter or Just the solenoid?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Jackstand347

Change the whole starter or Just the solenoid?

Post by Jackstand347 »

Hello all,
I only drive about once a week. for the past month and a half, I had to turn my key a few times before anything would happen just silence and then it would start. and today it wouldn't start at all so I knocked on the solenoid a few times and got it running. I feel like it's most likely the starter/solenoid however the voltage is a little low with the key off is 11.6, and drops to 10.6 when trying to start. The battery is 8 months old and never been abused

It's an 06 1.8l with 100,000 miles on it. I've been told to always change the whole thing but I'm not sure if that's a waste and I'm living in Mexico atm, I know an simi "honest" mechanic. and doubt the quality of parts I can find or I could pay for a new starter but get a rebuilt one put in.
andrewclaus

Re: Change the whole starter or Just the solenoid?

Post by andrewclaus »

There's something wrong with the voltage. At 11.6 resting, the battery is essentially discharged. It should be closer to 12.8 for a new battery fully charged, and over 14 when charging. Get that fixed first.

I just replaced my starter. I had the money for a new one so I didn't hesitate. The usual driver makes a lot of stops in rural and wilderness areas. If it was just for me, I would have rebuilt it myself. I have more tolerance for trial and error.