Electrical system dead except for horn & hazards

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
KJones

Electrical system dead except for horn & hazards

Post by KJones »

Came back from vacation and 2003 Vibe GT wouldn't start, no instrument lights or buzzer when key was inserted. Went to jump start and as soon as connection was made the horn and headlights came on, each time. Hooked charger up, dead battery began charging ok (no horn or headlights). Tightened a loose battery cable and fully charged battery and now car acts dead except horn and hazards work, no dome light, headlights, instrument lights, hatch release, starter. Have power to fuse box under hood, wasn't able to check fuse box under dash yet (could they have made that more inaccessible).
Haven't found if there is a main fuse or fusible link somewhere (if so where is it?), but power to that panel makes me think maybe not. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by KJones on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Re: Electricak system dead except for horn & hazards

Post by joatmon »

I attached a PDF of the primary power distribution schematic, its for an 03 matrix but it matches your 03 Vibe

Power comes from the battery, gets to the horn and hazard fuses since those things still work. I'd look at the 100A Main fuse. Its bolted in from underneath, but you might be able to see through a clear plastic cover. Also, try pulling the fuses that the 100A Main fuse directly feeds, and see if you get 12V on one side of any of those fuses. If you do then the Main fuse might be ok

Not saying this happened to your Vibe, but folks here have reported blowing the 100A fuse by trying to jump start a Vibe unfortunately with the cables crossed. In some of those cases, some other fuses got popped as well. I've never had to replace one, but reports are that fun is not involved
Attachments
012ps.pdf
power source schematic 03-08
(65.7 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
KJones

Post by KJones »

Thanks, but exactly where is this 100 amp fuse? Looking at the positive battery cable it goes directly to the fuse box on my 035
KJones

Re: Electrical system dead except for horn & hazards

Post by KJones »

Thanks, but exactly where is this 100 amp fuse? Looking at the positive battery cable it goes directly to the fuse box on my 035
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

my bad, I said Main fuse, but its the ALT fuse in the underhood fuse block
100A.jpg
100A.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
100A-b.jpg
100A-b.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

edit - this video offers some insight into replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKZi4e4lPQ
Last edited by joatmon on Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KJones

Post by KJones »

Yep, that's popped! Thanks!
What's the trick for pulling it out?!? Oh, never mind, I see it's bolted from below.
KJones

Post by KJones »

Tardy update: It was that 100A fuse, and it was a pita to get that bolt under it off and back on.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

A six month delay in progress report BUT well worth it. Now if you knew exactly what it was that blew this fuse? You don't want to go through this again. Just curious. Thanks
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"