Purchasing a 2010 Vibe 1.8 5spd with 104k miles-what to look for? 2nd gen or 1st gen better?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chewymangoes

Purchasing a 2010 Vibe 1.8 5spd with 104k miles-what to look for? 2nd gen or 1st gen better?

Post by chewymangoes »

Hello all! I am finally purchasing a car that I have wanted for quite a long time.

I found a 2010 Vibe 1.8 5spd with 104k miles on craigslist for $3,400.

The owner says everything works great and that the only issue is clear coat fade on the top and hood. This car seems like the perfect daily (and also cool) so I'm super excited about getting it and want to make sure I don't overlook anything that could be used for bargaining.

I'm just curious, what are your guys experiences with the 2nd gen Vibes? What should I be looking our for during the pre-purchase inspection? Is $3,400 a fair price? What kind of maintenance should I be asking about and what should I do at 104k miles?

I've also got my eyes on a very clean 2005 Vibe 1.8 5spd for $3,500, but it has 170k miles. Should I look more into this one, or is the 2010 the way to go?

I'm so excited to join the Vibe/Matrix community and can't wait to enjoy my daily commute more than ever! :D

Best regards,
AJ
tpollauf

Re: Purchasing a 2010 Vibe 1.8 5spd with 104k miles-what to look for? 2nd gen or 1st gen better?

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe AJ ;) Can't comment too much on the first generation Vibes, BUT on the 2009-10 Vibes, make sure ALL recalls have been done PRIOR to purchasing it. Gas pedal circumcision, power window master switch (assuming it has power windows) and the Takata air bag dilemma. On the second gen Vibes, the entire dashboard needs to be removed and it's not an easy task. If this has NOT been done yet, be prepared for lots of broken tabs & clips as the plastic in these care are now more brittle today, than when they were new. Then your dashboard will not look the same and likely have loose parts & rattles. Also, you did not indicate in your profile what part of the country you're from. This would be helpful in determining if rust & corrosion are a factor.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
chewymangoes

Re: Purchasing a 2010 Vibe 1.8 5spd with 104k miles-what to look for? 2nd gen or 1st gen better?

Post by chewymangoes »

tpollauf,

thank you so much for the reply! I hadn’t even thought to ask about the recalls, great idea. I’m in the mid western US right around the tri state of Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana, so rust is a factor, but not a huge deal. I’ll definitely be looking hard for rust and or body damage.

If the recalls haven’t been done yet, can I still take the car to the dealer and have them done? I’ve never owned a vehicle new enough to bother with recalls hahaha.

I’m also bringing a code reader to look for anything hidden in the ECM.

I’ll be looking at it here in a couple of hours, I’ll post an update after I look at it. Can’t wait!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Write down the VIN on the vehicle you're considering. I'm pretty sure with that number, you can get online and see if it has accident reports, as well as any outstanding recalls still due. Not 100% sure as I've never done it. A few others here can chime in to add to this.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
chewymangoes

Post by chewymangoes »

Just finished up checking out that Vibe. I think I’m gonna pass on it.

It had lots of minor body damage, the hood was bent and the front crash bumper was bent in, several body panels had been spray painted. It also looked like it’d been driven around on a farm. Pretty dirty. Not rusty, just dirty.

Interior was in decent shape except for a crack in the radio trim. It had manual windows and locks. Hope the next one I look at does too!

I also found what looked like metal shavings in the oil and the oil looked like it had been changed that day. Huge red flag.

The quest for a Vibe continues!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I saw that listing in Du Quoin, the pictures of that paint job made it look sketchy, so good you passed on it.

I've had vibes with and without power windows/locks/ I am fan of them