Disable/bypass DRL 2003 Vibe base model

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
mntn-biker

Disable/bypass DRL 2003 Vibe base model

Post by mntn-biker »

I don't think my DRL's are working properly. Is there a way to bypass this so my headlights are not on 100% of the time? I'm OK with turning the headlights on/off manually. Need to do this anyway now to turn on my fog lights :x due to using a Toyota turn signal switch I had to replace (my old switch let me turn the fog lights to on so they would come on automatically when the DRL lights cut over to the low beams).
2003 base model
joatmon

Re: Disable/bypass DRL 2003 Vibe base model

Post by joatmon »

How are DRLs not working right?

Do you want to disable all automatic headlights, or disable DRL half bright mode so auto headlights come on full bright?

The attached PDF is of the fog light wiring diagram for an 03 matrix. Without having one to try on, it looks to me like if you somehow connected the green w/orange stripe wire from pin 4 of the headlight/turn signal switch to the red w/yellow stripe wire at pin 2, that would be the same as having the fog light switch always be ON. There's a chance it might also give you fog lights with high beams
Attachments
018ffl.pdf
03 fog light wiring diagram
(24.73 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

joatmon wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:44 am How are DRLs not working right?

Do you want to disable all automatic headlights, or disable DRL half bright mode so auto headlights come on full bright?

The attached PDF is of the fog light wiring diagram for an 03 matrix. Without having one to try on, it looks to me like if you somehow connected the green w/orange stripe wire from pin 4 of the headlight/turn signal switch to the red w/yellow stripe wire at pin 2, that would be the same as having the fog light switch always be ON. There's a chance it might also give you fog lights with high beams
My desire would be to disable DRL since I believe my full bright headlights are on all the time. I suppose disabling all automatic headlights would also disable DRL?
2003 base model
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Been a while since I messed with DRL disable, but I remember there were two primary methods, both involved finding the DRL module up under the dash, I think just to the right of the steering column, (there's a pic in viewtopic.php?p=492515 )and cutting a wire.

Method 1 was to cut the Yellow wire going to DRL connector pin 8 (I think there was only one yellow wire, so pin # doesn't particularly matter) This was the signal telling the DRL module that the engine was running. Once you cut the wire, you had to insulate one cut end, and then ground the cut end connected to the DRL module

Method 2 was to cut the red with white stripe wire on DRL connector pin 12. (I think there were two red with white stripe wires, so pin number did matter) This was t power from the gauge fuse to the DRL module. Cut the wire, the DRL thinks the ignition is off, leaving only manual headlight controls.

Method one has the advantage of having to cut the only yellow wire, so its easy to identify reaching up under the dash. Method 2 has the advantage of not having to ground a wire, just snip and done

I did method 2 on one Vibe, extended the cut ends to a dash switch, pretty much just to do it, and also to be able to turn my headlights off at night when approaching a security guard that needed to see a sticker on my windshield.