Replacing center brake light

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
tw_raven

Replacing center brake light

Post by tw_raven »

I am trying to replace the bulb in the center brake light. I get the black outer cover off and remove the screws holding the housing in, but the housing will not budge. I do not want to push it too far because most of it seems to be make out of plastic. Does anyone know how to do this without busting up the housing?
NovaResource2

Re: Replacing center brake light (tw_raven)

Post by NovaResource2 »

The info is in your owners manual:2003 Vibes: pages 6-48 and 6-492004 Vibes: pages 5-55 and 5-56
tw_raven

Re: Replacing center brake light (NovaResource2)

Post by tw_raven »

I did read the owners manual, but it says to just remove the housing after the screws are removed. Well, I tried that and it will not budge. It seems to be hung up on something where the screws go in.
NovaResource2

Re: Replacing center brake light (tw_raven)

Post by NovaResource2 »

Are you sure you got all the screws? Are you sure you got the correct screws? It should just fall out.
MadBill

Re: Replacing center brake light (NovaResource2)

Post by MadBill »

Yes, mine just dropped out when I removed the screws to fit extra sockets and bulbs for a "third tail light". (so my VIBE logo would be visible without using the brakes.)
tw_raven

Re: Replacing center brake light (MadBill)

Post by tw_raven »

I was finally able to get it to come off. I had to slide a screwdriver carefully up behind where the screws go. I was then able to wiggle it lose. Even when I put it back on, it fit snug and did not just fall out. Thanks for everyones help.
ColonelPanic

Re: Replacing center brake light

Post by ColonelPanic »

Old thread... But dang, I fought with that stupid thing last night trying to get the bulb replaced. The owner's manual sucks at describing this process...I could NOT get the stupid thing removed... I removed the screws and tried to unclip the assembly or whatever the manual said but couldn't get it removed. So I did the next best thing - tackle the bulb replacement from the other side.Removed the black rubber thingy that goes up against the glass, then I was able to pry the red lens off the assembly. Had to replace the bulb that way... Put it all back together, but broke the two push pin thingies that hold on the black rubber piece. Oh well, it still snaps into place. If someone who has experience can do a howto on this procedure, that may be helpful in the future.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DaddyVibeMI

Re: Replacing center brake light (ColonelPanic)

Post by DaddyVibeMI »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »If someone who has experience can do a howto on this procedure, that may be helpful in the future. That would be me. I will make step by step with pictures when I receive "Vibe logo" for third brake light from eBay.
Car Domain.com ~ DaddyVibeMI
Chuckles

Re: Replacing center brake light

Post by Chuckles »

Literally no point in having screws here. Clips are really hard to get off from behind screws. Found claw from a hammer will do the trick. Put it behind and wiggle until the clips come loose. Didn't even break the clips, which was my concern.
Good luck with this terrible design choice.