Source for 17x7 "Silver" 2009-2010 wheels?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Waynosan

Source for 17x7 "Silver" 2009-2010 wheels?

Post by Waynosan »

Hi,
One of my wheels on my 2010 2.4L Vibe took a rough hit from a pothole and tire guys haven't been able to balance it right since. It's fine up to about 65mph but after that the vibration kicks in. I've been trying to find a replacement for the 17x7 "p24" silver wheel but all the ones I've located in junk yards are beat to hell. Almost as if people intentionally were driving them into curbs. I've tried car-parts.com and eBay with similar results. GMpartsonline does not sell them any more. There were a couple rims at a reman place out of Huston, TX but appears that they were sold. Any other sources that you guys can recommend? I see a few other options but they are ridiculously priced remans (~$300 range). If it's not already apparent, I don't want to throw a lot of money into this car, but it is my daily and I drive highway so need to fix this. Looked into local repair but was quoted $160+. I'm even thinking of going the franken-wheel route and ordering one aftermarket rim in the $150 range, but I'm not sure what offset I need. I'd prefer to have the same offset as stock to keep things symmetrical from the braking standpoint.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Source for 17x7 "Silver" 2009-2010 wheels?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I suggest going with the local place that quoted you $160. GM didn't sell/make very many of these wheels (compared to other models of wheels GM makes). That's why good 09-10 p24's are so expensive.

Going the mismatched route seems silly to save $10 on the wheel because it will need to be shipped, and mounted.

If you really need to save money, buy an equivalent size steel wheel.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Waynosan

Post by Waynosan »

Thanks for the feedback... I had assumed that the $160 the local place quoted me over the phone was just to repair the wheel, and they would charge me more to re/mount the tire and balance the wheel, which would put it about equal with the new rim. I understand that trying to repair aluminum can be problematic and that's an additional risk of going the repair/remanufactured route. Perhaps the repair processes have advanced since I last researched that. Might try to swing by the local place and get a written quote and an explanation of their repair process.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I was in the same boat as you about 5-6 years ago. I wound up ordering a re-manufactured 17" wheel from a company on e-bay. Back then it was $136 for the rim. That included the return shipping cost. There was also a core cost if the old rim was not returned. The repaired rim looked like it was new. The only sign of use was some pitting in the aluminum around the hole for the valve stem. These re-man rims are what the insurance companies use as replacements if the car is damaged.

Also about the center caps for these rims. The early center caps used a softer plastic for the fingers. They had problems of popping out and getting lost. GM's fix was to silicone the center caps in the rim. This works but the caps are easily bent if care is not taken when removing them, which most tire shop do not care. A cheap replacement cap that is just black plastic are center hub caps for a Mini Cooper. You can find these on e-bay for about $5.00 each. They do need a little rework to fit good. The O.D. needs to be trimmed down a little and I turned down the back slightly to get the caps in the rim more. This was way cheaper then the $35 each for the GM center cap.
Last edited by jolt on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waynosan

Post by Waynosan »

Thanks for the info, I haven't had a chance to swing by the (semi) local place to get the details on the repair. If something like your solution pops up on ebay I'm going to pull the trigger; but haven't had much luck thus far.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

For the center caps it might be easier to come by the Toyota ones.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I believe the Toyota center caps will not fit the GM 17" rims. The diameter of the center cap for the 17" rim did not come close to matching with a Toyota center cap, if memory serves me right. Which is why I purchased the Mini Cooper caps to try as the size was the closest I could find.
Waynosan

Post by Waynosan »

Just for closure, I ended up buying a wheel from ebay seller wheels_america_houston. The refurbished wheel came packaged really well and looks great. I sent my old one back and they refunded me $40 after a few weeks. Will probably reach out to them again if I need to replace another wheel in the future since it was a pretty good experience.

Note: made a correction above... I stated "new" wheel where I should have stated "refurbished"
Last edited by Waynosan on Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Waynosan wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:44 pm Just for closure, I ended up buying a wheel from ebay seller wheels_america_houston. The new wheel came packaged really well and looks great. I sent my old one back and they refunded me $40 after a few weeks. Will probably reach out to them again if I need to replace another wheel in the future since it was a pretty good experience.
Thanks for the recommendation! Glad you found what you needed.