lost the only key of a 2009 vibe. Can i bypass the fob system?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
yolo1234

lost the only key of a 2009 vibe. Can i bypass the fob system?

Post by yolo1234 »

Ok,
I dont know how it happend but my car key feel off my key ring... I tried to bring it to the GM dealership and they told me that the part needed #19183827 is no longer produced. They told me to go to toyota. I went there and they dont have access to the code to program the new key and they refuse to look at it. Now i feel like im kinda fucked. Is there a way to remove the transponder and to put a chipless key insted??
2009 1.8l 5sp manual with no rust
Québec, Canada Wright in the middle of the rustier belt
SeattleJeremy

Re: lost the only key of a 2009 vibe. Can i bypass the fob system?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Time to start googling "replacement key for Pontiac Vibe near me". Independent shops can make new keys, and program the fobs.

There is also this for replacing fobs (I know this isn't what you asked about, but it might be useful to someone).
https://northcoastkeyless.com/2006-pont ... tructions/
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
yolo1234

Post by yolo1234 »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:01 pm Time to start googling "replacement key for Pontiac Vibe near me". Independent shops can make new keys, and program the fobs.

There is also this for replacing fobs (I know this isn't what you asked about, but it might be useful to someone).
https://northcoastkeyless.com/2006-pont ... tructions/
well i did call the local keysmit and a bunch of other people but they all tell me that i need an original to make a copy of... which i dont have. The transponder is the main problem it seems. I guess ill dig deeper.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

In viewtopic.php?p=535696 jolt posted info that " If all ignition keys are lost, replacement of the transponder key ECU assembly is required."

If GM doesn't sell them anymore, you may be able to find an 09 VIbe at a junkyard that has a key.

Looks like a transponder for a Matrix is over $500 ( https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2009_ ... 02090.html ) so getting lucky at a junkyard might be more affordable.

I have no idea where the thing is in the car, or how hard to access, and even less idea how to bypass it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Yolo. First off WELCOME to GenVibe :D . Seeing how you're new here, you likely haven't read this post yet ..... viewtopic.php?p=535702&hilit=transponder#p535702

You very likely do NOT have the transponder (depending on where you're Vibe was manufactured & options it has) and it could be a simple "remove ignition switch" and have a key cut to fit it! Keep us informed on all progress . Post pics & location too while you're at it :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
yolo1234

Post by yolo1234 »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:13 pm Yolo. First off WELCOME to GenVibe :D . Seeing how you're new here, you likely haven't read this post yet ..... viewtopic.php?p=535702&hilit=transponder#p535702

You very likely do NOT have the transponder (depending on where you're Vibe was manufactured & options it has) and it could be a simple "remove ignition switch" and have a key cut to fit it! Keep us informed on all progress . Post pics & location too while you're at it :)
WHAT??? i think it might be the case. ill go to the dealership and have a peek.
Thanks for the info.
I hope that this model made it to canada
yolo1234

Post by yolo1234 »

yolo1234 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm
tpollauf wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:13 pm Yolo. First off WELCOME to GenVibe :D . Seeing how you're new here, you likely haven't read this post yet ..... viewtopic.php?p=535702&hilit=transponder#p535702

WHAT??? i think it might be the case. ill go to the dealership and have a peek.
Thanks for the info.
I hope that this model made it to canada
yeah... not happening... its going to be a transponder transplant. I freaking hate these things
yolo1234

Post by yolo1234 »

Well i figured that i would do a follow up.
I found a keysmith in quebec city that had a fancy computer that could reprogram the transponder for 100$ + 100$ per new keys. I also pulled the chip from the key and glued to the plastic close from the ignition. I taped it first to find the good spot and had to try a few different spot because they're not met to be read there. I had to glue it twice because the first time it was just 1/4in off the good spot...
Now everithing works just fine and a new key is 3 to 10$ depending from the store.