Trying to Id a Part

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jfrizman

Trying to Id a Part

Post by jfrizman »

I am trying to ID the name of a part on my 2006 Pontiac Vibe with the 1.8L engine. This part is mounted off the side of the intake tube and has what appears to be a 3/8" (maybe vacuum line) hose frome the motor plugged into the bottom and another house off the side that goes down the firewall on the drivers side. It has an electrical connection plugged into it also.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (643.89 KiB) Viewed 545 times
joatmon

Re: Trying to Id a Part

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

It might be a vacuum switching valve for applying vacuum to the gas tank for evaporative emissions control.

can't be sure from the picture, but does it look like this matrix VSV on ebay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125144169887
jfrizman

Post by jfrizman »

Thank you. That’s exactly what it is. An emission purge valve. I have one it’s way. It is making a horrible ticking sound. Sounds like a lifter ticking but it’s coming from the module.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

a lot of folks have noted the VSV ticking loudly, but its not necessarily an indication of it being bad, more like just the nature of the beast, so a new one might still tick loudly
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice diagnostics guys! ;) I'm more curious as to the mileage and climate this Vibe has been in. Very little rust, if any, for a 17 year old vehicle. A beautiful sight when popping the hood, to say the least! :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"