Engine swap

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chugfree

Engine swap

Post by chugfree »

I recently picked up a vibe and really like the look and feel of the car. I have the 1zz-fe engine in mine and I was wondering if it would be possible to switch engines to the 2zz.

I have the 2006 fwd Pontiac vibe. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
joatmon

Re: Engine swap

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

It is possible to swap a 2ZZ into a 1ZZ Vibe, but it won't be cheap.

In addition to the engine, you'd need a 2ZZ computer. Other things to consider would be

you'd likely need to replace the transmission. The 2ZZ Vibes only came with a 6 speed manual transmission. If yours is an auto tranny, then you'd also need to replace the tranny and the shifter and add a clutch pedal. Early year Matrixes offered an auto tranny with the 2ZZ, but they were uncommon, and different form the auto tranny for 1ZZ. A guess, but perhaps the 1ZZ auto tranny would fragment when a 2ZZ hit lift

While the 2ZZ boasts a lot more horsepower, it only achieves that extra HP when the RPMs are over 6K. Everyone is different, but I drive to avoid situations where I need to hit 6K RPMs. Also, the 2ZZ takes at least mid grade gas, 89 or above, so it will cost more to just tool around town.

I don't remember any one here doing a 2ZZ into 1ZZ swap before, but it could definitely be done. Given enough time and money that is. It would be a personal decision if it would be worth it. It wouldn't be for me, but if it is for you, take lots of pictures and keep us posted on the progress.