Vibrating when stopped (idling)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
dtaneski

Vibrating when stopped (idling)

Post by dtaneski »

Hi folks!
I am new here, and also a new Vibe owner! I just bought the car few days ago, and when I test drove it, everything seemed fine. Yesterday however, as I was driving (or stopped I should say), I started noticing the steering wheel and my seat vibrating when I stop at a stop sign or light. I was just wondering if this is a known issue with this car, or if anyone here had any issues like that before (with any car), or know what could cause this?
Thank you and have a great day ya'll!
SeattleJeremy

Re: Vibrating when stopped (idling)

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Welcome to GenVibe!

If the steering wheel and seat are vibrating at idle then its likely because the engine is transferring the vibrations to the entire car. Common issues associated with that are engine idling too low (below 800rpm), when motor or transmission mounts are bad, or if the intake manifold gasket is bad (usually only happens when it's really cold out).

What year is the car? How many miles are on the car? Is the check engine light on?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
dtaneski

Post by dtaneski »

Thank you!
Yes, I am 99% sure it idles below 1000 when I stop. I haven't scanned for codes yet, but there are no lights on the dashboard besides the TPMS light. Its a 2005 Base AWD with almost 109k miles.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

This engine is designed to idle at 800 RPM.

The 2003-2006 engines all had the intake manifold gasket issues. If that has never been changed then it is the first thing I would focus on.

Due to the milage of the engine next would be spark plugs.
dtaneski

Post by dtaneski »

Yeah, I don't know what the previous owner did or didn't do tbh. I will look into those 2 for sure tho. Thank you, I appreciate it!
GoodVibes411

Post by GoodVibes411 »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:37 pm This engine is designed to idle at 800 RPM.

The 2003-2006 engines all had the intake manifold gasket issues. If that has never been changed then it is the first thing I would focus on.

Due to the milage of the engine next would be spark plugs.
@SeattleJeremy and others,
I am jumping on here to ask about a related problem: My 2007 FWD Vibe had an exhaust leak that was causing bad exhaust fumes in the cabin and it was getting a bit loud, too. I brought it to a well-respected custom muffler shop last Wednesday (9 days ago), and they said the "downpipe gasket" needed to be replaced. After they replaced that for $125, they said they now found a leak in the front section of the cat, underneath the heat shield. They said I could replace that section with a "universal cat" for $400., which would cause Check Engine Light to stay on, or a "full cat" for $1,000. and no CEL light on. Given my Vibe has 315K miles and is starting to have other problems, I opted to do the $400 job, and not care about the CEL (as others have pointed out, in MA they don't check emissions after a vehicle is 15 years old). After I paid and was idling in the parking lot, I could still smell the exhaust leak in the cabin. I asked the owner to come over. He said something like, "The repair needs time to settle", so I accepted that answer and left. Now, 9 days later, the exhaust leak has been getting progressively worse.

I brought the car into a different shop today for a second opinion.(I admit, as a woman driver who doesn't know much about car repair, I am a bit nervous about going back to the original shop with a complaint, not knowing what to ask for) The second shop put the car upon the lift and right away said my gasket was the source of the exhaust leak I am smelling. They also said that Vibes and Matrixes are known for having this gasket problem and that we need to use a SPECIFIC gasket, and some folks attempt using different gasket before realizing which one is correct to stop leaks. So, they suggested that the other shop just needs to put a different gasket on. (They really like the other shop, refer folks to them, and feel confident that they will honor my warranty on the previous repair) They also said I could ask a dealership who services Vibes, which I can also do.

So, now, armed with this information, my question of you folks is this: Do you know WHICH gasket they should use now? I have no idea which auto parts supplier they use, and don't know if there is a Gasket # that is available to many different suppliers? I stopped at an AutoZone and when they looked up the gasket for my car, they show the "Fel-Pro Exhaust Flange Gasket" for $8.49. I also had them run a Check Engine Light diagnostic, which showed a P0171 Code and a P0741 Code.

Side note: I have owned the car since 88k miles, it has 315k now, and I have never had to replace anything on the exhaust system except one O2 sensor about 5 years ago.

It is now 12:30am, I am hoping to bring the car in tomorrow at 8:30am for this to be fixed, so my timing is tight. I welcome any and all feedback on this repair, and I am hoping I can get it done tomorrow so I can drive the long distance to see my Dad for Father's Day on Sunday.

Thanks, everyone!
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

GoodVibes411 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:49 pm @SeattleJeremy and others,
It is now 12:30am, I am hoping to bring the car in tomorrow at 8:30am for this to be fixed, so my timing is tight. I welcome any and all feedback on this repair, and I am hoping I can get it done tomorrow so I can drive the long distance to see my Dad for Father's Day on Sunday.

Thanks, everyone!
Hey GoodVibes411,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I did a quick search on autozone, and found they list a couple of Fel-Pro Exhaust flange gaskets in the correct doughnut style. However, the $8.50 one is likely wrong. The customer reviews show a FWD Vibe said it didn't fit.
https://www.autozone.com/gaskets/exhaus ... 225337_0_0

You need this one. Look at the reviews, and see a customer with a 03 Corolla said it fit.
https://www.autozone.com/gaskets/exhaus ... 157110_0_0

I hope you took it back to the original shop and they where able to actually fix the problem.