2009 Rough Shift after battery replacement

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
2vibeornot2vibe

2009 Rough Shift after battery replacement

Post by 2vibeornot2vibe »

Hi,
I've been scanning the forum looking for some responses on an issue I'm having. I just bought a 2009 Vibe (in December 2022). When I drove it off the lot, everything was running normally. Then the old battery died, so I took it to an Advanced AutoParts to have a new one put in. The guy put in a 26 group battery and took a long time doing so. In all honesty, it didn't really look like he knew what he was doing. He struggled to get the old one out and the new one in. Ever since then, my car has shifted really hard in-between 1st and 2nd gear. I've taken it to a mechanic, a Chevy dealership, and most recently a transmission mechanic. They've scanned it for electrical damage and didn't find anything. Yesterday, the transmission mechanic cleaned off/polished the battery terminals to make sure the battery is grounding properly.
One thing I've learned is that a group 26 battery is a "smaller" battery. I realize it might be a fool's hope, but if I replace the battery with a group 35, might this fix the problem?
andrewclaus

Re: 2009 Rough Shift after battery replacement

Post by andrewclaus »

If the starter motor cranks and the engine runs, it's hard to think the battery could be the issue. The transmission draws almost no current compared to the starter and ignition, headlights, etc. From what I could find, it looks like 26 is a suitable replacement for the 35, with a smaller case and different charging characteristics. The difficulty could have been the mounting strap--they get pretty corroded, and the different size could have been a minor problem. Another possibility, since the tranny is close to the battery, is wiring harness damage, but the transmission shop would have found that. It sounds like they were specifically looking for it.

It's not uncommon for the engine to run rough during the first drive after battery disconnect. The ECM needs to "relearn" running parameters from the sensors. I haven't heard of a transmission doing that, but maybe it's a possibility.

Sorry, no ideas here, other than an incredible coincidence.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Battery size should not matter pertaining to this problem,
My only thought is that the TCM (transmission control module) connectors are all pretty much directly below the battery.
Maybe he dropped a wrench or something that hit a connector and possibly broke a wire or knocked a connector or vacuum hose loose?
Please keep us updated!
And, welcome to the site!
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
2vibeornot2vibe

Post by 2vibeornot2vibe »

Would TCM damage have shown up on a scan of the car's computer?

Latest Update: Took my car back to the transmission mechanic. They checked the pan for signs that the transmission is in trouble and didn't find anything. Therefore, Freddie the transmission guy believes it's a bad sensor or something. They flushed out the system and replaced the fluid. He's going to take some time to research. Problem still persists.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

2vibeornot2vibe wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:56 am Would TCM damage have shown up on a scan of the car's computer?
There are some codes that point to problems with the TCM.
I had to replace the TCM on my 2006 Vibe after an engine bay car wash session let water get past the connector seal and corrode the pins inside.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

I should clarify that it was the neutral safety switch that I had to replace, but it also controlled shifting.
My car would not shift out of first gear with the corroded pins.