when should I say good-bye?

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
jeff_j1701

when should I say good-bye?

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Hello,

I have a 2007 Vibe with over 330,000 km on it (approx 250,000 miles) and just this year I put in a new starter, alternator, and battery; last year I had 2 front struts put in.

I now have a "rough" sounding exhaust; could be the muffler, a degraded flange/gasket, hole in the pipe? I will know next week, but I had a degraded gasket and hole in the exhaust pipe a few years ago.

A few years ago I had the cat & exhaust manifold replaced.

My wife wants to get rid of the car but I don't; it really has served us well over the years.

We all know how great the Vibe/Matrix is, and the awesome engine it has, but when is it time to say good-bye to a loved family car?

Thanks.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
joatmon

Re: when should I say good-bye?

Post by joatmon »

Now, I'd like to see Vibes stay on the road forever, but I've killed two of them

I tend to hold on to cars for a long time. Some have been easier to get rid of than others, the Vibe was really hard. For me there are a lot of factors, stuff like
how much will it cost to keep it running and safe
how important is having confidence in the car's reliability
what can I afford to replace it with, and how does that compare to what I'm getting rid of

It is really hard to know when enough is enough. Some day you will get rid of it, but the decision of sooner or later depends a lot on your personal situation .

but a critical thing to consider is
jeff_j1701 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:45 am
My wife wants to get rid of the car
without getting all preachy about marriage, talk to her and work it out. A car is not a hill worth dying on. Good luck
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Depending on the topic, some would say "get rid of the WIFE and keep the *******" :lol: If you had exhaust work done recently, then there might be a simple fix to quiet it down. Is it still relative rust free? Seeing how YOU are the one who wants to keep it, try negotiating with "said wife" to where she'll be able to keep something dear to her (in the future) so she'll side with you. Hopefully you can get your way without creating too much trouble in the family ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

jeff_j1701 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:45 am My wife wants to get rid of the car but I don't; it really has served us well over the years.
Due to the age and milage of the car and your Wife's thoughts on the subject. I recommend start to looking for a new car. Happy wife, happy life, as they say.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

What did you learn about that exhaust noise - update?
2005 Base - 220k
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

This seems to be a very appropriate thread to say good bye on. Donated my 2010 2.4L base with 280,000 miles to Cars for Veterans. The engine burns a liter of oil every 500 miles; however, it purrs like new when full of oil. Transmission shifts like a dream. All things Toyota work on the car and all things GM started to break down. Was my daily driver up to the very day it was towed away.

I now am the proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Venza 2.7L 4 cylinder with 166,000 miles. There is a marked difference between the two vehicles; however, the Vibe will always have a special place in my memory. We have been all around the country, including a trip to Canada and all over Texas on regular basis.

Hopefully someone else will enjoy it a few more years.

Thank you to all of you over the past 4 1/2 years who answered my questions and who posted a wealth of information so the rest of us can motor on.

Good bye and God bless.

Tibor Tamas
Aliyaa

Post by Aliyaa »

tpollauf wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:06 pm Depending on the topic, some would say "get rid of the WIFE and keep the *******" :lol: If you had exhaust work done recently, then there might be a simple fix to quiet it down. Is it still relative rust free? Seeing how YOU are the one who wants to keep it, try negotiating with "said wife" to where she'll be able to keep something dear to her (in the future) so she'll side with you. Hopefully you can get your way without creating too much trouble in the family ;)
Hi guys
While humor can be subjective, it's important to approach discussions respectfully and avoid derogatory language. Instead of resorting to controversial statements, it's more productive to find common ground with your spouse and negotiate a solution that satisfies both parties.
jack101

Post by jack101 »

How is the compression? Does it smoke on start up and acceleration?

I am new to the Vibe, But not to used autos and trucks, and tend to drive my vehicles til the wheels fall off. Looks to me like you are about there.
Good luck in any case.
If they are nipping at your a$$ you must be out in front.