solved:CEL charcoal canister, gas cap, filler neck codes

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
radioarno

solved:CEL charcoal canister, gas cap, filler neck codes

Post by radioarno »

So, to recap. 2004 base vibe. Bought 2 years ago. CEL went on as I drove it away. Vrought to mecahnic, who took codes, three codes. I paid $250 for those three codes. Mcchanic said 'replace canister, fuel filler neck and a valve under the hood, 1400 bucks. I said I can't, just bought the car for 4 grand. I went and bought an epoxy kit for refinishing the filler neck, sanded off the rust, epoxied it, and bought a new gas cap. Didn't get rid of CEL. Dilly dallied about buying cansiter and replacing it myself. Decided I'd just make peace with the damn CEL.
Got a girlfriend after a couple of dry years. Drove her to the woods for a romp in the forest, tried to run the heater, she said no way, your heater stinks. We drove in the cold. Then a few days later I drove her and her kids, tried to run the heater again, she said no way, it smells of exhaust. We drove in the cold car.
I like her, so I brought it to my mechanic. He put it up on the hoist, didn't take codes, just looked at it. Said it needs a new catalytic. Lotsa money, but I like the girl.

Two weeks later, voila. CEL disappears. Its been three weeks. I still expect the CEL to go on. Its gone. It was the Cat, nothing to do with the cansiter, filler neck, gas cap, or valve. Wasted so much damn time and money, so glad the CEL is gone!
joatmon

Re: solved:CEL charcoal canister, gas cap, filler neck codes

Post by joatmon »

Congrats on the girlfriend

and I suppose getting rid of the CEL is nice too ;)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Interesting story with a happy ending. The "smell from the heater" could be a common problem with our Vibe's ventilation system. My 2009 Vibe GT all of a sudden is bringing in "oil burnt air" into the ventilation system ONLY when stopped (red light, train, congested traffic, etc.). The wife is really getting pissed at me for not checking it out yet. No codes and still sits at a young 38k miles BUT something changed under the hood. Will research real soon and report in a separate post.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

joatmon wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:17 pm Congrats on the girlfriend

and I suppose getting rid of the CEL is nice too ;)
she's awesome. Best one ever. And the CEL, I still can't believe it. It bothered me so much, kinda felt like my car had a disease.